Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2007, 05:23 AM   #1
Gold Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Fuquay , North Carolina
Sandblasting Quote

I got a quote to sandblast my 26' Overlander frame for $575.00 and i have to be present to help with flipping it over so they can do the bottom.... seems high to me, i thought i would be about half of that.. anybody else pay to have there frame sandblasted?? Im my business i sometimes give a high bid if we are really busy or do not want to mess with the project.... wondere if he is doing the same thing..

(why do i have to press 1 for english??)
tgregory13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 05:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgregory13
I got a quote to sandblast my 26' Overlander frame for $575.00 and i have to be present to help with flipping it over so they can do the bottom.... seems high to me, i thought i would be about half of that.. anybody else pay to have there frame sandblasted?? Im my business i sometimes give a high bid if we are really busy or do not want to mess with the project.... wondere if he is doing the same thing..
Hi tgregory13; Pending how deep is the rust and how the individual sandblasting it considers when it is done properly it affects the cost. I have seen sandblasted steel, where heavy rust was blown off but the rust was still embedded in the steel which amounts to wasted effort. Pending the quality of workmanship and priming process you may be getting a very sweet deal.
One of the very important issues is that it should be done on a day with low humidity and it should be etch primed within two hours. With new EPA standards in force it is very costly to process contaminated sand which adds to the cost of doing it. If that individual returns to you etch primed frame which was very thoroughly sandblasted just thank him with a smile. Thanks "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 05:59 AM   #3
Gold Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Fuquay , North Carolina
i was just looking to get the rest of the old paint off not totally rust free... i'm going to use the godd ol por15 on it so i will need some surface rust for the por15 to stick to

(why do i have to press 1 for english??)
tgregory13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Todd -- So are you doing a new axle at the same time? Sounds like a good project. Just removing the paint to get ready for POR-15? Sounds good. A bit of remaining rust is desired as you say. You'll still want to do the MetalReady treatment that POR-15 has. I'm in an area of about 100,000 population and there are any number of people that do sandblasting. Getting a second bid is possible around here. $575 sounds close to fair value for all the struggle they are saving you. Don't just use a blue mask if you stand close while they are doing this!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Boatdoc is right on that EPA business, and we can just continue to look for more increases in the future .If you blast the frame and they get it really clean ,you can procede with the priming stage and not have to mess around with it .Worth the money and saving many man hours trying to get it good
enough .you can move right along to painting it .

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:42 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
charge labor to help flip the frame.Are they giving you a price break to help flip the frame?
Bob