Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
Airstream Newby

1975 25' Tradewind
Florence , South Carolina
Rusted frame

Well, I got a call from the shop that has my Trade Wind right now and it appears that my grey water tank came loose because of a rusted frame. There is nothing there to hold the tank up. Any ideas on what I should expect for a quote on this type of repair? I just want to be sure that it is in line. The generator is also going to need to be replaced.
The other thing is the concern of removing the shower and cracking due to age. Is there a OEM replacement for this on a 1975 Trade Wind? Or what do people do as an alternative when replacing the shower? Is there a sheet fiberglass that can be formed to fit the curve of an Airstream?
CMSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:19 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I would contact an Airstream dealer like Out of Doors Mart to ask about the parts. They have some of their parts listed on line. I don't know if they still have or can get the specific shower you need. But they do still list the lavatory top for that year of trailer.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:10 AM   #3
Airstream Newby

1975 25' Tradewind
Florence , South Carolina
Thanks, I just emailed them. Anyone have any ideas about cost of frame repair costs?
CMSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Tampa , Florida
The box that holds in your gray tank commonly rusts out and allows the tank to drop. The good news is that I believe it's accessible without dropping the belly pan, so it really just requires 4 pieces of angle supports for the frame of the box,a thin piece of plywood and aluminum sheet to sit within the supports and hold up the tank.

There are threads I've read here before that helped me with a repair of one of the corners of my tank supports.
inTransit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
The materials cost on the box repair aren't that expensive, it's the labor. I am in the midst of rebuilding the frame that holds up my waste tanks, as well as the galvanized boxes, along with all the other associated rear end rotted out repairs. Right now my total material costs, not including a new rear aluminum channel are still under $200. By the time I get done I will probably have at least 20-25 hours of labor in it, including the disassembly, welding and reassembly time. I am not a professional Airstream shop, but I have done plenty of restoration and repair on a variety of things and I suspect my time isn't going to be too far off from what a pro would put into it.

I dearly love the older Airstreams, but the only way I can afford one is by doing my own labor. Being highly mechanically inclined and owning most of the necessary tools is a plus.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote