Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Rust and Frames Por 15 Zero Rust

Hey all,

I found this as I research for my Tradewind renovation. I thought it was interesting and other may find it an interesting thread. It talks about Por 15
Zero Rust, Rustoleum, and there performance.

Zero Rust is nothing more than a Rustoleum-type paint

Tony

Rogue River, Oregon
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thanks Tony,

I feel enlighten now.
Good read!
Old 02-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
My mechanic up in Washington State restores old rigs and swears by POR 15.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Just remember Por-15 will degrade if exposed you UV rays... You should always coat over the top if it will be exposed.
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Longview , Washington
I just used it on my frame. Put it on with a roller. TOUGH STUFF covered easy. $120.00 per gal but I think its worth it. Much better than just primer.
Thisisliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
I am going to use a combination of products. My frame is in good shape. most of the paint is there. The z mental holding up the plywood under fresh water tank and up front in the v portion of the frame the leading surface of the cross section has rust but not all flakey. That is where the spare tire carrier is going. I was very relieved with what I found on my frame. The sides and most other place Por 15 would remain sticky from what I have read. I got a product from Sherwin Williams that I can hit the spot break throughs on the frame. I have Por 15 in my "cart" with VTS along with other goodies.

Oh, if you went to the link did you read them going at it. I don't see that too much on theses Forums.

Tony
Old 02-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Many on this forum prefer POR 15. After conversations with our local trailer frame builder/reatorer old timer, I went with his preference, Rustoleum. I brushed on red primer followed by silver finish. Two years old now, the paint on the Bambi II is still perfect. One possible factor is the trailer has never been in the rust belt.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
I use both POR 15 and Rustoleum, they are both great products but they have different uses in my shop.

POR 15 (Paint Over Rust) is for rusted metal, if you're coating metal that is already rusted, such as an old frame, POR 15 is normally the best as it bonds to the rust. if it will be exposed to UV, top coat it with paint.
POR 15 will not stick to clean metal unless you etch the metal first.

In the case of Clean metal (new metal or media blasted) I find Rustoleum primer followed by Rustoleum paint is the best combination, both economically and ease of use compared to POR 15.

Examples:
The rearend housing I put in my '83 Mustang was rusted and all the paint was worn away. I cleaned with a wire brush and applied POR 15, and the housing looks great and has held up very well.

The rearend in my Cobra was media blasted. I applied Rustoleum Primer and Rustoleum paint, and it also looks great and has held up well.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Thanks all. Like I said I am doing the all the above approach. Por 15 and prep components on the way. Bought some stuff from Sherwin Williams and I bought an assortment of rustoleum products from Lowes, brush on and rattle cans.

I guess it comes down to good prep now, along with some good weather. I want to do this right, I plan on keeping it for awhile and am about to drop some money into the Tradewind. Most importantly the time involved getting it in shape. I have enjoyed it more than I thought so far. Mostly because I have not found anything rusted out. The pictures show the worst which isn't bad.

The funny or not so funny thing is I paid a pretty high price because it was what I wanted and in such good shape. The body and interior. Checked the floor with ice pick etc. When an ice pick hits a bad repair it does not tell you the truth. Also pretty hard poking another persons trailer. So now I am spending some time learning about my trailer.

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0398.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	179220   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0416.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	179221  

Name:	DSCF0419.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	179222   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0394.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	179223  

Name:	DSCF0390.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	179224  
Old 02-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
POR 15 is a moisture cured polyurethane. There is a supplier of such paint that offers it filled w/ aluminum powder, which makes it UV proof and strangely attractive on an Airstream. I've used this on our frame and the plywood (first epoxied) floor - it has withstood our walking on it for the last two and half years. It is somewhat cheaper than POR15... it's called Aluthane, and is available here.

No relationship other than happy customer.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I bought some of the Aluthane and it is good stuff but the shipping eats your lunch. The best place I have found to get POR15 from is Ebay. The total cost is a toss up.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote