Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2005, 02:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Charlotte , North Carolina
Question Rubber floor tiles???

Has anyone replaced carpeting with rubber flooring tiles? I've read through many threads about vinyl tile, cork, and wood floor replacments, but see no one using rubber tiles. These have no adhesive, but channels that lock them in place next to each other.... Hubby is wild about them, and I wanted to make sure there was no downside? We do not move the Airstream...it is our campsite on our farm, so I'm not that concerned about tiles breaking during movement. Sandy
slmontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 03:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Hi Sandy, and welcome to the forum,

I have no direct experience with rubber floor tiles, but there is every reason to believe they would have similar properties as any other type of tile, with regard to temperature swings, would.

If you plan to keep your Ambassador at a constant temperature year-round, Hubby's preference would work just fine. But if your Airstream's interior is not temperature regulated through summer & winter, I would expect that you will see gaps develop between the tiles over time.

The tiles themselves will not necessarily be damaged, but the gaps will allow dirt & water to accumulate.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 04:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Sandy:

Can you direct me to a site or otherwise give some information on the rubber tile?

Presently, I plan to remodel with Marmoleum, a new concept in old fashioned linoleum.

go to www.themarmoleumstore.com

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 05:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Sergei,

Go with the marmoleum. I just had my Sovereign restored and had the marmoleum put in the galley and bathroom, and it is absolutely gorgeous.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 05:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Frederick:

I haven't seen the product yet; only on the internet. I think I will want the colour LAVA in my scheme.

Where are you located?

Heavy? Expensive? Easy to click-lay?

I think I will lay it pretty well wall to wall, front to back, even under the galley counter (before we build it). I don't like that unfinished look of raw plywood everytime you open a door.

It can only be a few square feet extra to do that.

I'm guessing 100 s.f. in total?

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:44 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Actually, just found out it is flexible PVC...much nicer than rubber. My hubby is an engineer, and he has investigated rubber floorings. This sample we obtained because of the wonderful range of brilliant colors and texture designs. Go to floorsurfaces.com and you will see the tile choices. They are about $3.75/ 12" X 12" tile,when you buy over 100. They also do any custom color! They have a channel lock system on 2 sides, and you push down on each corner of a channel, and then use like a wall-paper roller or spoon, to lock the rest down inbetween the ends (this doesn't stretch the tile). They lock up nice and tight. No adhesives...the best part. For areas we will go up the wall, or piece, you use a rotary blade and bend the tile, and then finish the cut. It makes a clean cut. Then up the sides of the wall, you use a Liquid Nail product. They have free samples....and will send you a whole one, too. They need to be 60 to 70 degrees to install....that makes them easier to couple.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Off the top of my head I can't tell you what other choices weigh. These are 1.20 lbs each - certainly more than Marmoleum or some other sheet product. I figure it would add about 150 lbs to my FC. Is that insignificant?
Mark

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:59 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Exclamation Not rubber tiles, these are flexible PVC!

Sorry for misleading everyone....I just found out these "rubber tiles" are really "flexible PVC". I found out when I ordered them!

I just checked out marmoleum and they do have some great bright colors! I still like the flexible PVC tiles, because they have a neat cross grid texture to them. I just ordered 150 of these tiles, so we'll let everyone know how they work out. Probably won't install them til the spring. They are an Xmas present for Hubby! His favorite color is orange, and these tiles are, of course, orange! The installation is supposed to be a breeze, and they are easy to cut (or so they say). I just talked to Andy at Inland RV Center and he gave me valuable information on leveling, stabilizing and weathering the Airstream, which we need to do ASAP, apparently! Yikes! Glad I talked to him! As you can tell, we're new owners of a gently used Airstream! Sandy
Old 12-01-2005, 04:05 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Weight of flexible PVC

Mark,

You've lost me...Yes, about 25 tiles weigh 32 pounds. Are you talking about added weight for towing? I didn't think about that, but since our Airstream is in a stationary position in the field of our farm (no plans to take it on the road), I'm not bothered about towing extra weight. Is that what you were trying to tell thick headed me? I don't know what FC stands for???
Old 12-01-2005, 04:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Sorry I wasn't more clear, yes I was thinking of towing and I realize you don't plan on towing. But also because the frames, especially on the older trailers, are amazingly "light" (as in, I can hardly believe there isn't "more" to them), others will know better whether another 1.20 lbs per sq. ft. amounts to anything to worry about (I'd guess not). Basically I was pointing out that they weigh significantly more than a sq. ft. of sheet vinyl or marmoleum.
And FC stands for the AirStream Model Named Flying Cloud. Hope you enjoy your floor, I'd be interested to hear what you think after they are in use.
Mark

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 06:35 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
If anyone reading this thread likes the idea of a PVC floor covering but does not mind if it is in all one color then check out the following web site:

http://americangaragefloor.com/coin_...e_flooring.htm

This is single sheet stuff that runs about $2.14 per square foot for a 7.5' x 20' roll. They have other sizes and patterns too. The neat thing is that I think the 7.5' wide stuff would be perfect for an AS - at least for my 1973'. If I am remembering correctly it runs about 88" wide at the widest part of the floor. 7.5' is 90" wide so there would be a little to trim off. I have been pretty frustrated with the thought that products like Marmoleum come in 7' wide rolls.

I have not bought anything from these guys so I wonder if anyone can comment on these products?

Thanks,

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:14 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
1993 21' Sovereign
Elm Grove , Wisconsin
Thumbs up

We replaced our tired carpet with solid rubber floor tiles last year. What an improvement! The rubber flooring is easy to keep clean and is comfortable to walk on. This is the same material that is used in extreme high traffic areas such as hospitals or airports. It comes in many colors and profiles.(raised squares or dots are the most popular) The tiles come in 18x18 and 24x24 sizes I believe. They are relatively easy to install and should last the lifetime of your coach. Ours are manufactured by Johnsonite--Roundel is the name of the product line. It is another alternative to ho-hum flooring!
Juergen
jhart657 is offline   Reply With Quote