Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2014, 12:19 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
grass valley , California
Rotten Floor Under Black Tank

I was replacing the floor under my kitchen in the back of my 1961 Bambi and while I was under the trailer looking a the pan, I noticed the floor under or around the black tank is rotted. I'm thinking I need to remove the pan in the back now and replace the board. Is the board under the black tank? advice? I'm staying positive, but my small repair is turning into a lot of work. Thanks!
thinktankair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:12 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Walter's Falls , Ontario
Thinktank
I am right in the middle of it myself, just finished taking the rotted floor out the back and front. I will replace the back 4 feet of floor. I have taken the blacktank out as well [59 Tradewind] and now cleaning the frame for the welder.

The thing I have found is once you start the process, you have to make up your mind when and where to stop. I am new to this myself, but have learned to do as much as possible to get the floor sound as it is part of the main structure and thus the back part of the trailer is important to have sound.

I used a grinder to take off the elevator bolts, and luckily my C-channel is in good nick. You will need to take off the inside lower skin. My trailer is gutted completely, and I am not using it as a camper, but rather a studio so I have the luxury of no tanks to replace etc.

I would make sure the frame is ok, and again you have to weigh how much work you want to take on. I guess how much you will be towing this etc is something to consider, tough call as my emotions have been up and down throughout this process. Right now I feel positive, but only because I have come to a compromise in what needs to be done, rather than what could be done, compared to the many people here doing right. In other words, some folks will spend years and thousands doing the work, but that is a passion to restore these beasts to perfection. I am getting it done so it is safe and hopefully free off any leaks.

There are products that can restore rotted wood, some threads explain this.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:42 AM   #3
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
This was asked in two same threads?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:34 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
The direct answer to you're ? is you can cut the belly pan & see the damage but probably can't repair it from below. The black tank should be above floor in a '61. Good system but you usually have less storage than an under floor tank. The good news in your case is Tank on floor, floor on frame. Toilet & tank come up relatively easy and there's your floor exposed. Remember to remove or support the B/tank drain system so as not to damage it when deconstructing. One way or the other you'll have to replace the bad section of plywood. Remove a section of "it don't matter its shot anyway" plywood large enough to allow you to look down in and 360 degrees around below floor level. If ,big if, all around that area plywood floor, frame & X-members all look OK then you caught a break, just splice in a new section of plywood floor. If its very bad below floor you're gonna have more decisions to make.
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:47 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
grass valley , California
Thanks for the greet advice everyone!
thinktankair is offline   Reply With Quote