Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2014, 09:07 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Durham , North Carolina
Risk Of Frame Rust On New/Newer Airstreams

Has Airstream done anything to mitigate or prevent frame rust on newer Airstream trailers or are ALL Airstreams vulnerable to this?
Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Surface rust is common, not a problem structurally on new ones. Not the same as frame sag on the rear on some older ones. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I doubt they have done anything different but I think the insulation is the shiny bubble wrap stuff and not the pink fiberglass. Corrosion will probably be less of an issue since the fiberglass is not being put under the floor where it stays wet and rots the frame. There is the potential for corrosion since there are two different metals.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:03 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Durham , North Carolina
I just came back from an Airstream Dealer and when I was there I asked him about frame rust. He showed me an '84 Airstream that had spent it's life at the beach. It looked horrific. The back of the unit was hanging and huge chunks of the steel frame underneath were missing. It reminded me of some of those catastrophic rust pictures of Toyota truck frames. This particular trailer was relegated to a back part of the lot, and cannot be resold. The salesman said that this trailer had never been properly maintained.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
I see you are asking about corrosion as well on another thread. Are you interested in a new airstream or vintage?
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:14 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Durham , North Carolina
I'm considering either a new one or a used less than 5 years old. I find Airstream appealing because they seem to last, they hold their value better and mostly, I want a simpler life that seems to be embodied by these trailers. Knowing not much more about them than the mythology that's grown up around the brand, I'm trying to reconcile that perception of quality with these horrific photos and stories of rusted out frames and corrosion. Thanks
Old 05-15-2014, 09:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Sun Ra

Here is a picture of me taking a picture of the license holder on a BRAND NEW Safari on a dealer’s lot a few years back.

Click image for larger version

Name:	safari.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	212007

It will show you that AIRSTREAM is not perfect and there is room for improvement.

On the other hand, all things are relative. Compared to other RV’s out there AIRSTREAM is still many, many cuts above the rest.

It is the best trailer made, with the added bonus of its iconic stature and great design.

I bought my ARGOSY when it was 30 years old. Because I did a total remake of the trailer the entire belly pan was removed in stage one of my project. I was pleased to find that there was basically no rust on the frame at all, except for some atmospheric rust dust here and there. Much of the frame had the blue-black look of steel just out of the factory.

So, if you hear some horror stories about frame rust, and there are those, they need to be balanced with examples like mine, of which there must also be some as well.

Sergei

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunset Grant.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	212006

1976 Airstream Argosy 24 for sale in Toronto, Ontario
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The newer Airstream's have more issues with the skin than the frame. Trailers from the south west where is does not rain as much are usually in better shape. It is all about inspection. Even the new trailers leak so you got to do your home work and inspect. If you see rust anywhere on the frame you know there is more under the skins. If it is less than 10 yrs old chances are the frame is fine unless it was run up north with road salt or was kept near the ocean. Filiform corrosion is the most visible issue on the new ones. They need to go back to the old way of doing things or anodize the skin.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote