Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Ripping out carpet & putting in what?

We just purchased our first Airstream a 1999 25' Safari, it has stock blue carept which is very stained, and we'd like to replace that with hardwood floors, does anyone have a recommendation on brand?

we don't actually take posession until next weekend, but we are super stoked!
StreamRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome and Congrats!

Learn to use the "Search" link in blue bar at upper right of the screen...

If you type in hardwood floor or bamboo floor or wood floor replacement, you'll find lots of threads on subject....

That said, it appears there is a preference for cork or composite, and many members do it themselves.. Thicker is better than thinner. Quieter and more stable. Removing old carpet and tack strips back to edges of cabinetry is easy, total removal means removing some cabinets which is larger project...

In our area, it was tough to find installer willing to take on all of the cuts and fitting needed for small square footage. Conflicting views on whether lenghtwise or side-to-side is best layout for strips. You will need to allow for a lot of flexing and expansion/shrinkage...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Jim,

This is the same question we are asking ourselves. Our 98 25' has the same blue carpet.

I think we are settled on laminate flooring, but not sure on the style or color. Having to leave spacing on the laminate and having extra molding around the end does not appeal to me. I might risk laying it tight and hope for the best. How much can 150 sqft really expand?
timmaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Thats for the quick reply, I will figure this out. The flooring and the forum.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Chelsea , Michigan
I read a lot of these and finally settled on Allure from Home Depot. Will install in next week or 2. For $100 it can get crummy and get redone I guess but can't be worse than the vinyl shee-ite in there now. The boxes sitting in my garage were enticing today but wrapping up other extensive repairs first.
GlobeTrottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Tougher than you think. The cabinets, etc., are built on top of the installed carpet. It is not simple to cut a clean edge at the bases....or cut out sections under the bed, storage drawers and seating. If you do, you have to consider the thickness of that carpet and laminates to make it look and feel OK. It is not impossible, but plan on those moments of frustration....the results are usually very satisfying.

I used Alure on a project...my big hint here is lay it so that the piece going in lays on top of the previous piece. If you try to fit it the other way....watch out....once it touches the other piece...its a done deal. There is not wiggle room available. This gets real interesting toward the end of the install...where space is confined.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
I am using some laminate material that I have left over from a home improvement project...the price is right, so I will go with it. Hopefully after laying almost 1000 sf in my non-mobile home, I can manage it in the Argosy.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Welcome!! I am going with cork that is floated on a layer of thin plywood. It snaps together like Pergo. I have a picture of it somewhere on my computer, I will dig it up if you want. I went back and forth on floor options, but settled on cork because of it being warm underfoot. Plus the floating ads a bit of insulation and sound dampening. Have fun with your new baby!
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
A couple of weeks ago I finished installing the Allure floor throughout. A couple of weeks from now I will begin the process of taking it all out and going with something else. The flooring bubbled up during the recent 65-75 degree "heat wave". It acted like there wasn't room yet it did have room. No Idea what's going in next. Actually the problem didn't occur throughout but mostly where the floor was exposed to direct sunlight. It would probably be fine if the AS had no windows or doors.
Not Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Fowler Interiors in Symsonia, Ky is installing a hardwood floor in our l988 25' ASTT next month along with new curtains and other interior improvements. They recommend Bruce's Hardwood from Lowe's. They have been restoring interiors in Airstream TTs for 30 years. At first I asked for Traffic master from Allure, but was told it comes unglued in the heat. Since my trailer gets over 110F when stored in Florida in the summer time I did decided maybe it would be best to go with the hardwood although am concerned the hardwood will be a scuffing concern.

Pat
Pat Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:34 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
Chauvin , Alberta
I went with Laminate, easy to install, easy to replace if there is some sort of mishap and easy to keep. The dogs, kids or other various guest can't hurt it!
lpatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Conway
Fowler Interiors in Symsonia, Ky is installing a hardwood floor in our l988 25' ASTT next month along with new curtains and other interior improvements. They recommend Bruce's Hardwood from Lowe's. They have been restoring interiors in Airstream TTs for 30 years. At first I asked for Traffic master from Allure, but was told it comes unglued in the heat. Since my trailer gets over 110F when stored in Florida in the summer time I did decided maybe it would be best to go with the hardwood although am concerned the hardwood will be a scuffing concern.

Pat
Engineered hardwood or gluedown or nailed in?
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:04 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Wood, Carpet, or Rubber mat?

Hi, some day I may replace my carpet in my Safari, but I haven't decided with what yet. My trailer only has carpet in the bedroom. And in the storage compartment under my queen bed. I will need something rubbery in the storage compartment so things don't slide around. Also inside, under the bed are two large containers that I wouldn't want sliding around either. Maybe I will have to use a short, tight weave carpet? I will be watching to see what other's do before I start on mine. Maybe a rubber mat under the entire bed and wood around it?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:46 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Done View Post
A couple of weeks ago I finished installing the Allure floor throughout. A couple of weeks from now I will begin the process of taking it all out and going with something else. The flooring bubbled up during the recent 65-75 degree "heat wave". It acted like there wasn't room yet it did have room. No Idea what's going in next. Actually the problem didn't occur throughout but mostly where the floor was exposed to direct sunlight. It would probably be fine if the AS had no windows or doors.
Before you rip it out. Check just to be sure that it has not expanded so that it's catching on a corner cut somewhere - or up against an end cut. Did you open the flooring and let it acclimate for a couple days before installing it? I've installed a lot of Allure (and getting ready to do another large install). I've never seen it buckle like your describing - although an internet seach would surely find a similar complaint. Not questioning your post - but it shouldn't do that if it was installed following the directions. Sorry to hear about your problem with the product....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
I have a perimeter expansion gap. The partitian walls and kitchen counter sit on the Allure but I haven't screwed them down yet. The couch and bed frame also sit on the Allure but I've not yet screwed them down either. The flooring is throughout but the only trouble spot appears to be where the floor was exposed direct sunlight when the door was left open on a 65 degree day. My thought was that the couch was preventing expansion but the floor shouldn't require an expansion joint in front of the couch.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
I will be putting my laminate in the Argosy the same way I put it in the house...leaving 1/4" gaps at walls and counters. With the TT, I will be able to lay it under some cabinets due to an existing space that won't pin the laminate in one place permanatly. As for the 1/4" edge gap...I haven't decided what to do other than 1/4 rd but I'll think of something...
Old 06-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Thanks everyone! I am leaning towards cork, although can't picture it in my head, I have the 1970's brown tiles stuck there. Will do more research, especially when thinking about added weight, buying the flooring and letting it breathe for a few days in the camper before installing - have already gleaned lots of insight from all of you!
Regards! Jim.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #18
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Done View Post
The flooring bubbled up during the recent 65-75 degree "heat wave". It acted like there wasn't room yet it did have room. No Idea what's going in next. Actually the problem didn't occur throughout but mostly where the floor was exposed to direct sunlight. It would probably be fine if the AS had no windows or doors.
Not Done,

Can you please tell me exactly where in your trailer the bubbling happened? We are going to put that exact flooring down in our AS within the next few weeks, and, like Gary (Ganglin) I had heard nothing but praise on here for it.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
Allure is refunding $, not for trailer use.

Just got the call from Home Depot. Allure does not recommend the product for use in trailers and is refunding me.

Aage: It was bucking in the Living Room. In the area that the evening sun through the open door seems to have warmed the floor.

It's too bad. We loved the floor for the couple of weeks we had it.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
I installed 6" plank Heart pine floors, I have been very pleased with the results. no buckling/ warping/ cupping/ etc. I installed a vapor barrier and then toungue nailed the T&G planks (no glue). When we talk about Hardwoods in an AS we are of course talking about "engineered floors"... they are more dimensionally stable than solid hardwoods. The engineered floor has a veneer grade top layer; typically, the type of wood an the thickness of this veneer layer will have the most impact on price.
I was able to get "remnants/leftovers" from a flooring company from a large job they had just completed. It was more than enough for my 1982 34'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0273.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	131944   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08075.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	538.6 KB
ID:	131945  

c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote