Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2021, 12:19 AM   #1
RMK
1 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Lakewood , Washington
Request for guidance on repair/upgrade of original sub-floor in 1953 Flying Cloud

Hi, I am working to improve the original sub-floor in what is the trunk area (rear of the camper) on my 1953 Flying Cloud. As you will see from the photos, the floor of the trunk consists of plywood, a tar paper looking material (moisture barrier?), and sheet linoleum. The support frame for a perpendicularly oriented crossbed sits directly atop the linoleum. Originally, the linoleum would have run the back to front length of the camper. When we did our first restoration work, we installed cork flooring from what is the front edge of the bed platform to the forward wall. We left the original linoleum in what is the trunk space.

Over time, this area has given me concern, I can see it has leaked where the walls meet the plywood/tar paper/linoleum. Nothing extensive. But the telltale evidence is there. While bone dry now, the whole trunk space emits, on account of the old, cracked linoleum and previously water stained tar paper/plywood, a musty, dank smell. Luckily, you don't smell this in the cabin. Only when you stick your head in the trunk.

I'm finally replacing the original 1953 mattress. What a project that was getting it out. Wood frame, metal coils, sisal topping. I have the coils and sisal topping still if anybody is interested. Now that everything in the rear bed platform space is opened up, I am thinking I will also remove the last bit of linoleum and tar paper floor which corresponds to the trunk. The idea is to take out the old, musty, and unrepairable material and install something on top of the original plywood (which is still in decent shape) that doesn't smell, serves as a moisture barrier, and adds some insulating value to that area.

Never having taken the shell off the frame, I'm not exactly clear on how the shell walls join with and connect to the floor and frame. It seems there is a small gap between where the walls come down to the linoleum/tar paper/plywood - and I'm not sure what I should do to seal/weatherize/waterproof that gap, if anything. I'm also not sure what product(s) would be best to lay on top of the original plywood. I was, on this second point, thinking of something akin to an underlayment of the type that goes under linoleum today. I do not plan to install linoleum or cork over whatever is laid down in this trunk area (though I might put some industrial carpet over the base layer). Another idea would be to roll on one of those liquid membranes over the entire area. Were I to go that route, I'd probably skip the truck liner carpeting noted above.

Does anybody have any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions on how to go about this? I have no plan to go as far as to take the shell off.

Thank you in advance for your guidance, insights, and inspiration.

Bob & Tina
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AAD08B43-3C6E-485F-A369-D6C618E5D171.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	397728   Click image for larger version

Name:	05DA9624-1DF5-45B0-AA1D-D07DF2D21811.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	397729  

Click image for larger version