Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2014, 06:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Conroe , Texas
Replacing a small section of the floor is an option?

I have a small section of rotten wood by the fridge . Can I just cut it out a section without moving all the furnitures and just "patch it up " that section? It is about 4X2 feet .
a_magyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
What ever you do, you have get back to a beam to attach the new plywood. If not there will be movement and then seperation. Screw and glue. I used liguid nails and the original screws again. Good to go!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:43 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Agree with the above. Be sure to set your blade depth on circular saww so that it is the same thickness as the plywood you are cutting. You will be cutting on top of a steel cross beam running paralel with it. You dont want the blade to hit the steel. 2 of the sides of your new piece will be on top of the cross beam and you will attach to the cross bream. The other side will be under the door frame and the opposite side will get a piece of wood under neath the joint to add strength. This can all be done without removing belly pan. Tons of posts here with more detail. Good luck.
Alcoa Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:57 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Conroe , Texas
Thank you guys! Can I just by a "Marine board" from home depot? How thick is the original one? Also I seen some people put some blue sheet, or insulation underneath the plywood. Is it necessery ? What should I use. And 1 more thing , can I replace that mesh to a much smaller mesh screen sobugs can crawl in the camper?
a_magyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:07 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
I don't believe the big box stores like HD carry the marine grade ply. Sorry you are not closer, as I have some left overs from my project. I got mine from a local wood supplier, but they had to order it. If the rest of your sub-floor is not marine grade, I would just get the best ply you can find locally, and make sure you seal it really well. Most sub-floors are 3/4in., but I have read about some 5/8 as well. You should be able to use as smaller mesh, as long as you get good air-flow. But a smaller mesh will also clog with debris faster, so you will have to keep an eye on it.
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I used the marine grade ply in my trailer, and I didn't put any insulation under it. I didn't feel it was necessary, and the original spray-on insulation had helped contribute (I felt) to the floor holding water and rotting.

You might want to go to your profile page and fill in what year/model trailer you have, sometimes that helps people answer questions about repairs.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Service manual floor repair

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote