Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Ringwood , New Jersey
Replacement floor width

I am replacing the old floor in my 56 Overlander. The old floor is so badly damaged (rot,delaminations, etc) that I can't determine the correct width for the plywood. I can measure from outrigger to outrigger but did the original plywood extend beyond the outriggers a little? The shell is not attached to anything anymore so I cant use the channel to channel measurement. I am guessing that the plywood did extend past the outriggers about 1/8" or so but I don't know, and I only want to do this once.
Thanks
ericp755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
It's really important to get the right dimensions, you're on the right track. I would imagine that you could get them from someone on the forum with another 56, maybe nearby and you can measure for comparison. You want to measure between points on the shell to make sure it's all aligned. I didn't do this and have hell to pay with a main door that is a tiny bit off. Live and learn... and please post pictures of your project, it's fun to see what others are doing with their trailers.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
You've probably seen this link. http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...1cc2fb85d7.jpg

My specs say my 62 overlander width was 7'4" and I've found this source to be accurate as my floor in front was intact and is indeed 88".

Have you checked out the model-specific forum yet? Probably get all kinds of help there. I saw a huge thread for a 56 on there.
KCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
My '59 plywood width was also 88". Overhangs the outriggers by 1/4 to 1/2 each side.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
On my 55 FC the floor width was 90". The floor overhangs the outriggers slightly, about enough to keep the ends from rubbing through the bellypan (hopefully) It is my observation that all of the floor widths I can recall were whole inch measurements. if I am wrong surely someone will call me out but for initial planning at least I would measure the outrigger width and you will probably be 1/4 to 1/2 inch shy of a whole inch width.
If your frame is anything like mine you will probably also find that the outriggers vary slightly in length. Mine have nearly 1/2" variance from short to long with the longest actually being hammered shorter by someone at the factory to make it fit- awesome QC
tim
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote