Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2023, 08:11 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
St. Paul , Minnesota
Repairing floor rot on Bambi 16 2014

Good day to you! My travels have lead me here for advice or repairing. As someone who is doing the work myself im happy(and depressed) to see all of the great info on this forum dedicated to fixing the floors.

i have to say when i bought the airstream, this was the last thing i thought i'd be dealing with i thought that they were impervious to water but find out its quite the opposite. anyways...

this is an issue i have been putting off for some time as we had a soft spot near the door, after a trip last summer where we discovered an additional plumbing leak(somewhere under the fridge) we decided to tackle the issue this spring before heading out on our summer trip(a bit over a month away).

so last night i removed the dinette and floor trim and assessed the initial damage. seems like there is a leak on the right side of the door(if standing outside the AS). this could be originating from any number of places, i guess i will have to remove the interior skin to determine the leak before i replace the floor. but i will also have to remove the freshwater tank, the pump, maybe the kitchen to get to the floor underneath that. what we could get to last night didnt look great and i'm now planning to replace a good chunk of the flooring in the front half of the trailer.

if anyone has done this on a bambi 16' i would love to be able to ask you some questions. i hope to document this process for future people dealing with this model. Wish us good luck!
Muddy_River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 07:05 PM   #2

1973 31' Excella 500
Punta Gorda , Florida
I can feel your pain. My daughter and I just bought a 1973 31’ AS… yes, there is major floor repair needed.
Heidi.Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 07:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
It is an all too common tale of woe, but I am surprised to see the issue with such a (seemingly) recent model. The good news is that these trailers have all been constructed in a similar fashion for decades, and the floor rot problems are all similar ever since 1969. You can get good information on repairs regardless of the model.

That being said, typically, they leak under each window, around the door, behind the refrigerator, and especially across the rear end. Check the floor in all these areas before you decide on an approach to repair.

my condolences, and good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 07:48 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Somerville , Massachusetts
Floor rot 2013 Bambi 16í

Surprise surprise so much for buying $$$$ the most expensive brand of trailer. my floor is rotted under refrigerator factory service center says the vents for the fridge are the cause. It sounds to me like airstream has a design flaw with this model anyone else encounter this problem. They sure didnít issue a recall will require non gas battery operated refrigerator install as well. Iíd buy another used newer model trailer maybe not airstream but mine is worthless without this repair. 😟
somer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 10:24 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Check out my post on this topic my 2013 bdlbi 16’ neeescmajor floor replacement due to leaking from refrigerator vents. So much for spending so much money on the most expensive brand. It sure sounds like a design flaw therefore airstreams fault
Old 11-30-2023, 10:25 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Oh and turns out my trailer is worthless f I don’t do the repairs do no trade in value
Old 12-25-2023, 06:52 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Ofallon , Illinois
What a coincidence (sarcasm)! I have a 2018, 16' Bambi that has the exact same leak. The dealer "fixed" the refrigerator leak and replaced the floor in 2019. Now it looks likes it's leaking under the window. The floor is totally rotted. I have no idea how to find the leak so I'm hoping Muddy_River has an update. I'm considering finding a custom airstream repair shop or taking it the Jackson Center.
CradHltn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 11:34 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
St. Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by CradHltn View Post
What a coincidence (sarcasm)! I have a 2018, 16' Bambi that has the exact same leak. The dealer "fixed" the refrigerator leak and replaced the floor in 2019. Now it looks likes it's leaking under the window. The floor is totally rotted. I have no idea how to find the leak so I'm hoping Muddy_River has an update. I'm considering finding a custom airstream repair shop or taking it the Jackson Center.
So we started in on the repair ourselves but got to a point where we were uncomfortable proceeding. We contacted the factory and were quoted I want to say $16k for a full floor replacement (don’t quote me on this as memory is not solid). We were considering it, the benefit here would be to replace wood with non rotting composite flooring. Our local AS dealer is a no go.

We found a local non dealer shop that specializes in airstreams, we went up to check out their shop and quizzed them on their process for the repair. They knew what they were talking about and had 2 people on staff that just works on airstreams. so we scheduled the work this summer and they did a partial floor replacement and tracked down a tricky plumbing leak in the water heater drain. I tried and failed to find this with a scope, but had it narrowed down to the hot water system. Everything was addressed leaks and floor they also welded in an extra support for the floor I think it cost around $3500 and they really did a good job from what I can tell. The shop we used was all campers near St. Cloud mn. This is where I will be bringing my Bambi from now on.
Muddy_River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 07:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by somer128 View Post
Surprise surprise so much for buying $$$$ the most expensive brand of trailer. my floor is rotted under refrigerator factory service center says the vents for the fridge are the cause. It sounds to me like airstream has a design flaw with this model anyone else encounter this problem. They sure didn’t issue a recall will require non gas battery operated refrigerator install as well. I’d buy another used newer model trailer maybe not airstream but mine is worthless without this repair. ��
I’ve been researching this question. This has been discussed on this forum in years past. The problem seems to be the cheap plastic industry standard fridge vents that Airstream chose to use on the 16 Sport. The stainless steel vents (which our 22 has) don’t seem to allow water intrusion the way the plastic ones do. The long term solution is to buy a pair of the stainless vents and install those.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote