Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Burlington , Kentucky
removing shell from frame.......(72 safari)

So...I'm 99% ready to pull shell from frame...I've looked at a bunch of postings where all the pics show the banana skins removed and the shell sittin on supports. Had no problem with the front and rear... what about the side ones?

They are solid rivets that also hold the channel that holds the floor.

All the floor bolts are removed can I just leave the floor, skins and track for now... seperate the shell and later flex the sides to remove the floor from the track?

IF not How do I remove AND replace these solid rivets...Where can I get the removal and install tools and rivets

Bruce
Debnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Im about where you are but my skins come down past the floor so i will have to put the shell on something. Just punch the center of the rivet with a punch and drill them out. You can get Olympic rivets to replace them. Inland rv or vintage trailer will have them.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I use a "rivet remover tool" (don't think I paid THAT much for mine!) A center punch works well too. You can buy a complete buck rivet installation kit from Vintage Trailer Supply.

I have most of this stuff and the rest I borrowed from an uncle that works on antique aircraft.

I would NOT want to use olympic rivets where structural integrity is paramount, but I am anal that way.

I am in the process of overhauling the rear end on my 1975, I am replacing a lot of the metal back there and doubling up on rivets in a couple of places.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Like Purman said, center punch to create a dimple for the drill bit to bite on and drill them out. Easy-peasy lemon-squeezy.

As for the shell dropping below the floor level, what I did, was had horizontal braces perpendicular to the length of the shell about mid way up and built some knee walls where the braces rest on the top of the knee walls and the bottom of the knee walls drop below the level of the skin. Worked like a champ.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Burlington , Kentucky
Sooooo... while I've got many hours in to rivet removal...what's a nother hundred. But since I got only got a small section on the door side and 2x that on the other side.. it does look like the install might be a bit easier cause you could have the floor on the trailerready to go...aling up the holes and start reviting... with the help of a partner on the other side....
Debnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
You can get Olympic rivets to replace them. Inland rv or vintage trailer will have them.
Don't use Olympic rivets to attach the entire shell back to the C channel. They do not have the same strength as buck (solid) rivets. Plus they have a tendency to leak and we all know how hard it is to keep these trailers from leaking.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Lenoir , North Carolina
You didnt state how you are plannig on raising the shell....from above or cribbing up. I cribbed mine up and when it was high enough to clear the wheel wells I used mason string and pulled the overhangs out enough to clear and tied them to my cribbs, be carefull and not pull too much or you will crease the skins.
ProWelder is offline   Reply With Quote