Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 28' International CCD
L.G. , Virginia
Question Removing fiberglass insulation adhesive???

We are in the processing of removing our fiberglass insulation and replacing it with aluminum clad Prodex insulation on a late model (2008) airstream.

The fiberglass is mostly out leaving the adhesive and some bonded strands of fiberglass. We want to to remove the adhesive leaving clean aluminum.

What experience has anyone had removing the adhesive? Would acetone work? Any other solvents that might be better?

Thank you for your suggestions!
wrajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2008 28' International CCD
L.G. , Virginia
Airstream fiberglass adhesive

I found that the material used by airstream to adhere the fiberglass is called Bondmaster 40-0880 made by National Adhesive. It is based on SB Rubber.

I found that the solvent for rubber is Turpentine and Naphtha. Has anyone tried this for removing the adhesive?
wrajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
1979 25' Tradewind
thermopolis , Wyoming
Try some aerosol gasket remover from an auto parts store. Be careful this stuff is really strong and even the smallest over spray on your skin will burn. This stuff will even take off silicone!

Let the forum know if it works.

cheers, John
amoretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:01 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Peasleeville , New York
insulation removal

I have not tried to remove the adhesive, and I am not certain why you would feel like it was necessary? I have a '74 31' international that is gutted. I found that a shop vac with an upolstry attachment was amazing to get the smaller fibers out.
mbattin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adhesive, aluminum, fiberglass, removal