Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Use anything it takes. The cutting wheel is your friend. I also used the multi tool show in my post above to cut a kerf up to the c channel on either side of the bolt and then cut a cross the two kerfs to allow me get the old plywood floor out ( offending bolt still remaining) and then come back and use the Multi tool to cut into the remaining plywood and bolt. I also had a vise grip, flat bar, and a chisel on stand by chop hack and pick. Not elegant but does the job. It is real work.

Good Luck

Tony
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Camas , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbey1 View Post
Hey guys, I am just starting my floor replacement. Everything is gone from the '76 Argosy 22 and I am beginning to remove the vinyl walls. Your advice and tips on the E-Blolts was super helpful but I still have one issue. The elevator bolts that are through the C Channel on the edges of the trailer are flat. They have nothing to accept a bit. Any advice on how to remove these so that I can remove my sub-floor? I am keeping this a shell on replacement...
My belly pan was off for removal of the E bolts through the chanel. I was able to grab hold of the nuts on the bottom side with vise grips and slowly rock back and forth till the bolt weakened and just snapped. Most where rusted so not much effort. On the left over bolt I used a punch from the bottom tapped them out.
One thing that was hard to get at was the front e bolts and a couple what looked like giant pop rivets, I spent a good part of a day removing those.
Today we recieved our new E bolts for the floor, we hope to have the new sub floor in place by early next week.
Pams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:16 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Did you get 2" I got mine from VTS and failed to get the longer ones ( just the 1 1/2") which are needed through the cross members with 3/4" as a scab beneath the joint. Buying them local was expensive.

Sounds like you are moving along. Good Luck

Tony
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Camas , Washington
yes we did get the longer ones from VTS. Locally the same e bolts are at least twice the cost. Makes the cost of shipping worth it.

thanks good luck to you too.
Pams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Multitool...

Crabbey1,

I agree with Tony S' comment about using a multitool to get at those hidden bolts.

Looks like you and I are doing the same work. We took one full and 1/2 sheet of plywoood out yesturday and there are only a few bolts that now need to be removed

It looks a lot easier now that the rotten floor is out of the way.

I plan to use threaded metal screws to hold everything down, once I'm ready.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear floor removed (4) (Medium).JPG
Views:	168
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	186221  
newsgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
Floor removal is going well.

I wanted to let you guys know that your tips were very helpful. I have never tackled a project like this and it is going very smoothly. Here is my method...

I purchased an impact driver. I was the key to getting up all the E-Bolts in the main portion of the floor. Only 2 would not come out and stripped. I am just using a Rotary Tool to cut them off.

Once the main floor bolts were out I moved on the the C Channel Bolts and screws. All the screws just came out no problem. The bolts in the C-Channel were another beast though. I used a hammer and a wood chisel to cut out notchs around the bolts. Then I used a circular saw to cut the wood in to manageable pieces and pulled them out one by one.

Once all the wood of a section was removed I chisel out and remained wood around a bolt and used the rotary tool to cut off the bolt.

Then I reassembled the wood pieces like a puzzle to use as a template for the new floor piece. I used Pressure Treated 1/2" Ply for the new sub floor. Once I had the floor piece cut with all holes needed for plumbing, etc. I brought it in to the trailer, lined it up and marked where the frame laid. That way I could saw straight down the center and have the wood from each section be supported by the frame...

That is it. Long winded, I know, but easier than it sounded. Again, thanks for all the tips. Tomorrow I will be painting the frame with POR-15, laying down the new insulation and bolting down the floor with the self tapping E-Bolts from Vintage Trailer Supply. I will take photos so you can see the progress!
crabbey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
DO NOT USE PRESSURE TREATED PLYWOOD!!!!
the chemicals used in the pressure treating process will corrode your aluminum skin badly wherever they come into contact.
you will not be happy and you will get to do it over.
tim
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
Pressure Treating = Bad?

I read about the fact that Pressure Treated wood can corrode Aluminum, but I also read a lot of misinformation as well. From what I understood, if you let the wood fully dry out, Seal the edges and use coated bolts and screws, then you should be in business...

Have you used Pressure Treated lumber in such an application yourself? Or have you seen first hand the effects? Most people seem to be repeating this idea but have never actually tested the theory.

Anyway, thanks for your reply. Maybe I will rethink the choice of lumber. I t just sucks that I dropped $200 on this round...
crabbey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:23 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Bethany , Oklahoma
Which Bolts?

I'm a newbie super confused about the bolts? I'd love to replace my front subfloor without dropping the belly pan..... so that leads me to 1/4" by 2" self-tapping bolts? But what does that mean? Who is VTS and what kind of bolts do get from them? How many will i need to replace the front subfloor (to the doorframe of my 1973 29' Ambassador). also the metal is important, correct? I see a lot of people warning against stainless steel, but what metal of bolts SHOULD i use? Help!
Old 05-18-2015, 10:27 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
VTS is www.vintagetrailersupply.com
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:28 AM   #31

1969 31' Sovereign
Fleming , Ohio
Thank you for the info. It is going to help me more than you could possibly know
Shrkb8101 is offline   Reply With Quote