Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2011, 10:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
san mateo , California
Rear End Separation Permanent Fix?

Have a 73 sovereign, 31 ft. The rear end flooring was rotted out thus a 3/4" gap from frame to bottom of the upper shell C channel. Though both of the main 3/8" bolts at each corner of the rear were intact the plywood was gone, rotted out. The rear end technically didn't separate beyond the floor thickness of 3/4" but vibrates nontheless and a huge problem.

Here's my question, would it not fix these rear end problems permanently by using stainless or galvanized washers to the thickness of the plywood, 3/4", thru these 2 main corner bolts on the rear end w/ the rest of the rear end support staying the same? The floor will have to be drilled on these 2 corners to the diameter of these spacer washers. So,it's all metal on these 2 main supports, no wood sandwiched between. The dreaded separation issue is permanently fixed!

This I am planning on doing but want to have feedback as to it's feasabilty. thx in advance for any info.
dmand001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
The rear attachment between the frame and the shell is more complex than that.... there's a bent steel angle plate caught between the frame and the plywood; the upper part of that is riveted between the C channel and the skin.

This plate is likely badly corroded, and the dissimilar metals (steel plate, aluminum shell & C channel & rivets) has likely led to poor integrity in all those components; most of the bolts between the frame, rear cross member and C channel have likely failed.

I would:

* remove the horizontal sheet that slides between the frame and the plywood to which the bumper compartment cover is hinged - this abomination is what wicks water into the confined space under the plywood and begins the corrosion problems. There must be a gap between the hinge and the body - the rear compartment gets wet anyway, and keeping the water out from under the plywood is critical.

* Replace that rear bent plate w/ a stainless one, and add an additional row of proper rivets to the skin. You'll of course need to
drill out the rivets holding the skin to the rear channel to do this if they're not corroded out already.

* replace all fasteners w/ stainless.

It's not too difficult, and most of it doesn't show - but it does mean removing the bottom rear interior skins - which can be difficult w/ those plastic bathrooms.

I'd be happy to take a look at it, or you're welcome to come by to look at ours - we're in Menlo Park :-)
- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:58 AM   #3
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
I just sent you a PM with what our A/S tech did to fix ours. Please let me know if you need anymore information.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by exthemius View Post
I just sent you a PM with what our A/S tech did to fix ours. Please let me know if you need anymore information.

Can you tell me what the fix was as well
loechli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:50 PM   #5
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by loechli View Post
Can you tell me what the fix was as well
Done.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
Old 09-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by exthemius
I'd be interested in that fix too. I've got the very same issue.
Breadbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
That plate on the rear bumper is what I call a funnel plate. I am in the middle of replacing my rear floor and I plan on getting rid of that plate. The problem is the rubber sealing compound breaks down over time and corrosion plays a part. This area is hidden under the belly band on my trailer. I may get rid of the bumper storage compartment all together. The object here is to keep the water off the rear of the trailer. I will probably do something like a rear banana skin. The rear of the subfloor is very exposed in the corners. It is best to coat the new floor with some sort of waterproof coating. Something like epoxy or polyurathane so if it does get wet is will hold up better. The seal where the belly band is located needs to be very good and maintained. Another leak prone area is where the end caps meet the straight part of the trailer. There is a gap in the C-channel there that lets any leaks or condensation go right into the sub floor. I plan on doing something there like glue in a small section to bridge that gap.

You may or may not have to replace the bent steel plate at the back. Mine was rusted but turned out fine after some cleaning a coating with POR15. If you drill out the stock rivets put back bucked rivets not pop rivets. That area is a structural element and needs real rivets. Also the pink fiberglass acts as a sponge and rots your frame and sub floor. I got rid of it and am considering alternatives. Another thing the bumper compartment does is funnel any water than gets in there up under the belly skin where the pink stuff sucks it up. Pull the belly skins and check the frame.

It is best to leave hidden areas of the sub floor uncovered so you can inspect and it also allows it to dry out. I am going to attach my belly skins with screws so I can get under there ever so often and see if there are any problems.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Talent , Oregon
Quote:
Done.
Quite a bit of time has lapsed, but I would really appreciate the "fix" you past on last year regarding the rear end subfloor replacement and rear storage hatch dysfunction.

Thanks, in advance;

Richard and Della
'73 Overlander 27'
Della is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Talent , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
The rear attachment between the frame and the shell is more complex than that.... there's a bent steel angle plate caught between the frame and the plywood; the upper part of that is riveted between the C channel and the skin.

This plate is likely badly corroded, and the dissimilar metals (steel plate, aluminum shell & C channel & rivets) has likely led to poor integrity in all those components; most of the bolts between the frame, rear cross member and C channel have likely failed.

I would:

* remove the horizontal sheet that slides between the frame and the plywood to which the bumper compartment cover is hinged - this abomination is what wicks water into the confined space under the plywood and begins the corrosion problems. There must be a gap between the hinge and the body - the rear compartment gets wet anyway, and keeping the water out from under the plywood is critical.

* Replace that rear bent plate w/ a stainless one, and add an additional row of proper rivets to the skin. You'll of course need to
drill out the rivets holding the skin to the rear channel to do this if they're not corroded out already.

* replace all fasteners w/ stainless.

It's not too difficult, and most of it doesn't show - but it does mean removing the bottom rear interior skins - which can be difficult w/ those plastic bathrooms.

I'd be happy to take a look at it, or you're welcome to come by to look at ours - we're in Menlo Park :-)
- Bart
Bart;

This was the first time I had heard the sad truth regarding that bent plate assembly for the rear hatch. A friend and myself looked at that shortly ago and kept wondering why all those materials and why the obvious flaw in how water might travel inside in that area. I had not come up with an obvious fix and your entry nailed the problem. I still do not see what besides the vulkem or the likes, will keep water from flowing back in to the edges of the subfloor. Can you offer any more advice.

Thanks, in advance,
Richard and Della
'73 Overlander 27' (rear bath)
Della is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Done as well.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #11
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I am considering replacing that flat piece of metal with a 90* angle piece that is turn out to use for the hinge fastening point. I am also going to coat the plywood with something that will keep it from rotting and/or absorbing water. I am in the process of hauling the whole rear end out of my 1975 rear bath. Only about the last 4" of the plywood is bad, but the tank support frame is pretty well trashed and the rear aluminum channel is in at least 3 pieces and needs to be rewelded. So out it all comes.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:08 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Ludowici , Georgia
mine done the same

Quote:
Could u send the pic to my email so i can look how they did it please?
Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:46 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I coated the top and bottom of the new plywood I installed in the rear of my Trade Wind with 2 coats of West System epoxy resin. I coated in all along the edge and inward for 8 inches. This is a product used extensively to build and repair boats. I built a new cross member out of 2 in angle instead of flat stock. I notched the ends to the top of the angle would be flat with the rails and the ends would extend to the sides of the rails giving me a lot of surface to weld. After I welded it in place I painted it with several coats of rust proof paint from the Eastwood company (Por-15 would work just as well). This was to prevent the aluminum from touching the steel as much as possible. With the leaks fixed, the rear stays dry now and it should be good for many years of camping (a lot more than I'll be around doing the camping).
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #14
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:

Why don't you just post the information here in the thread, and share it with the group?

What's the big secret??
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:12 AM   #15
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Yeah, Jason just asked me this earlier -- I suppose I could -- it's really no different than what Andy does in one of his threads. I can say there's no secret sauce or anything, just don't want to hear the gripes and negative comments usually associated with any fix that doesn't involve tearing out the entire bathroom to replace the floor -- I'm just not interested in a pissing match, I suppose

Old 05-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #16
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Yeah, Jason just asked me this earlier -- I suppose I could -- it's really no different than what Andy does in one of his threads. I can say there's no secret sauce or anything, just don't want to hear the gripes and negative comments usually associated with any fix that doesn't involve tearing out the entire bathroom to replace the floor -- I'm just not interested in a pissing match, I suppose
I would be interested in seeing what you did, I chose to tear out the bathroom, along with the entire interior . I am upgrading plumbing, and with the extensive amount of welding that is going to be required wanted as much access as possible.

Just because some one does something a different way doesn't mean it is right or wrong, as long as the end results are acceptable.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #17

1968 26' Overlander
Bainbridge Island , Washington
Me too please!

Quote:
I can appreciate your point. Lots of opinions out there and the talent of expressing them tactfully is lost on a few folks. Can you please share the info with me as well? Thanks!
Jamezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
I'm getting ready to do the same job, and like you, I don't have the time right now to do a full floor job. I just want my frame back in place ! Any info you could provide would be great!!
Silverflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Pueblo West , Colorado
rear end fix info

Hi Shawn:

Would you please pm me the info on what the tech did to fix the rear separation on your airstream ?

Thanks, Michael
Luftstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1960 26' Overlander
Mount Vernon , Washington
here is what I ended up doing to reattach. without gutting it.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...tml#post622064
garthbf is offline   Reply With Quote