Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2011, 07:35 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Waterloo , Ontario
Rear end floor rot?

Hello all.

As a fairly new A/S owner (bought my 1990 Excella 34 last year), and also a new member to the Forums, I'm looking for some advice.

When we purchased the trailer last year, the previous owner had replaced the carpet in the front, but the rear still had the original carpet (pretty dingy). When we were in Florida this spring my wife and I decided to replace all the carpet. Well we got a couple of surprises: the first was that the flooring underlay was only "chip board" (I would have assumed A/S would use marine ply). The second was that the flooring at the rear was rotten about a foot and a half from the back. It looks as if this was from an old leak, as the floor was bone dry, but just fallen apart. At the time we just had the carpet temporarily laid over the rotten wood.

When we got back to Ontario I checked with our local A/S dealer - they wanted $2500 for the repair (I don't think so). My wife says we should just ignore it as it is covered up. Now this doesn't seem to affect anything, but???

What advice can you give me?

Dave
DEWASSINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
You should read this thread. It has the info you need. Good luck and welcome!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:35 AM   #3
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEWASSINC View Post
Hello all.

As a fairly new A/S owner (bought my 1990 Excella 34 last year), and also a new member to the Forums, I'm looking for some advice.

When we purchased the trailer last year, the previous owner had replaced the carpet in the front, but the rear still had the original carpet (pretty dingy). When we were in Florida this spring my wife and I decided to replace all the carpet. Well we got a couple of surprises: the first was that the flooring underlay was only "chip board" (I would have assumed A/S would use marine ply). The second was that the flooring at the rear was rotten about a foot and a half from the back. It looks as if this was from an old leak, as the floor was bone dry, but just fallen apart. At the time we just had the carpet temporarily laid over the rotten wood.

When we got back to Ontario I checked with our local A/S dealer - they wanted $2500 for the repair (I don't think so). My wife says we should just ignore it as it is covered up. Now this doesn't seem to affect anything, but???

What advice can you give me?

Dave
Welcome to forums Dave! As you will see by reading here, many have suffered the same issue as you. Some have done patch jobs, others (like myself) have replaced the whole sub floor. The sub floor adds a lot of structural support to the trailer. Depending on your situation you can decide what the best plan of attack. Whatever you choose these forums will help a lot trust me. Pictures will help.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Dave I bought my 1990 excel 29 last year and needed to replace particle board sub floor at the rear and front. I took out the sofa and the rear beds/cabinet then took it to J & S in Helena, Ohio and the did the replacement. Cost some money but they knew what they were doing, and I didn't screw anything up. Used marine grade plywood.

Then we put in vinyl strip faux wood floor and reinstalled the furniture. You really don't want gaping holes in your floor if you are keeping it.

dcasr
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote