Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Rear Cargo Capacity - Bikes, Generators, etc.

I've read all of the admonitions against mounting anything on the rear frame/bumper, yet desire a secure 'permanent' external carrier for my Yamaha 2400i generator. Low and behold, I note that Airstream now offers a bike rack by Fiamma that is entirely supported by the carriage frame at the rear bumper, with stabilizing struts attached to the vertical framing beside the rear window. Stated capacity is 75 lbs (not including the weight of the bike rack itself). This carrier is designed for the International – from 2001 Model Year to present, Flying Cloud – from 2009 Model Year to present, and Safari from 1997 model year to present. Apparently, these models have a heftier carriage frame that can carry this load. This opens up the possibility of a well-designed aluminum generator carrier with similar capacity.

https://store.airstream.com/popup_ex....php?peiID=125
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
1) The broad admonition against heavy loads rear of the rear bumper comes primarily from Andy Rogozinski at Inland RV, and is based on service experience, not structural analysis.

2) Service experience tends to suggest that any Airstream driven long enough under real-world highway conditions will eventually have some rivet failures, even with proper maintenance and without extra loads.

3) Unusually harsh road surfaces, extra loads, and stiff tow vehicle rear suspension speed up the inevitable.

4) Typically two bikes will weigh around 40 pounds. Typically a 2000 watt inverter-generator weighs 50 pounds.

YMMV. There are forum members who have bumper and tongue mounted generator carriers. Ask them in 15 years how it worked out.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Two bikes typically weigh considerably more than 40 pounds unless they are racing road bikes. More like 60-80 pounds. My friend has an 05 Safari and with nothing put on the back already has a little sag in the rear. Unless you want to do something with the frame I wouldn't add the weight.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Santa Fe , New Mexico
Generator carrier

So. I then assume that it is not possible or advisable to carry generators on the bsck of a 2012 airstream sport Bambi? It does not have a bumper. It would require modification to add an extension to the frame and put generstors into a caged box. Guess, I could try to find water tight bottles, and seal them for gas storage, and try to mask the smell of generators with gas I them. The issue is that I do not have an open truck bed. The tow vehicle is a land rover. Any other suggestions?
Judypetrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I know your looking for something for the back of the stream but I found this product that might work for you. Not sure if it's workable for Airstreams though. You may want to call the manufacture to see if it will work on the Airstream , if you are interested in the product.

Heres the link I found. Trailer Tray - Trailer Tongue Cargo Carrying System
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judypetrick View Post
So. I then assume that it is not possible or advisable to carry generators on the bsck of a 2012 airstream sport Bambi? It does not have a bumper. It would require modification to add an extension to the frame and put generstors into a caged box. Guess, I could try to find water tight bottles, and seal them for gas storage, and try to mask the smell of generators with gas I them. The issue is that I do not have an open truck bed. The tow vehicle is a land rover. Any other suggestions?

I use a couple of these to store gas and they do not leak in any position and there are no fumes. They are heavy duty and can take a beating and lots of use. http://rotopax.com/
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judypetrick View Post
Any other suggestions?
You can mount a Jerry can on the rear of the Land Rover for gas, as has been done forever. A large plastic tote with a snap lid for the generator, which you could store on the floor of the trailer when traveling, would minimize gasoline fumes.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
gasoline should be stored in an APPROVED container. fumes from a leaking can, if ignited by a spark (or een static) will give you a bad headache. some folks have found plastic storage bins for their generators that seal very well.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...tor-44248.html

the main frame of airstreams is not made to carry weight extened on the trailer frame.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #9

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
If smell and not space is your primary concern, you can get a generator that's modified to run on propane.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote