Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2008, 08:18 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
salem , Oregon
protecting beautiful carpeted walls in Excella from cat attack

What have you who live and love cats done to protect the carpeted (velour soft) walls from being used as a cat scratch? I am visualizing covering the walls with something during my year's confinement with my furry family.
Any help appreciated.
Becca
BeccaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Build them a scratching post?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
A scratching post with catnip and affection when they use it, a quick and targeted jet from the water bottle when they scratch on anything else.

But it doesn't work 100%...
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Get a dog. The cats will then spend their time up on top of the fridge and away from your walls.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:20 AM   #5
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
One of my customers lined the lower part of their walls with plexiglass to prevent the scratching.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
salem , Oregon
Dogs, I love, but....

You are too funny, and I love dogs, but life is complicated enough at this point. I am thinking more along the lines of covering the panels. It only takes one incident and the whole panel is ruined. I really don't think they will like the velour... not enough ummph for scratching. How difficult is it to remove and replace with material, say sheet, over panels? Another thing that has worked in my house are carpet covered ramps that they love to tear into. Also, the darn frequent claw trim that terrorizes them and me.
b
Old 05-06-2008, 09:23 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
salem , Oregon
Plexiglass, great idea

How did they attack the plexiglass and did they use the real thin panels?
Great idea!! Thanks.
b
Old 05-08-2008, 07:10 AM   #8
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
I took a quick glance at the trailer when it was here. From what I remember, the plexiglass was screwed into the walls with small self tapping screws and large clear plastic washers.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeatAirstream
I took a quick glance at the trailer when it was here. From what I remember, the plexiglass was screwed into the walls with small self tapping screws and large clear plastic washers.
One could make it an attractive addition if you used the self tapping screws with those countersunk finishing washers:

Countersunk Finishing Washers on Coburn-Myers Fastening Systems, Inc.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:25 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1993 34' Limited
Quartzsite , Arizona
WAIT Becca...Don't cover your beautiful walls, try Alternatives to Declawing, Nail Caps for Cats. They sell fake nails that you glue onto the kittys claws...in your choice of decorative colors. (maybe silver to match your AS?) This will protect your walls, sofa, you, and anything else the kitty would claw. Who would have thought a trip to the nail salon would include taking the kitty?
Best of luck, and enjoy your adventure in the Airstream!
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I bought poster holders for the plastic and trimmed to size with a utility knife and straight edge and velcroed the panel to the mouse fur (of course cats love mouse fur ) I have even velcroed a strip of fabric or towel in certain areas. Some day I may line the walls with changeable fabrics just as a decorating idea. However he is learning to use his scratching post pedestal. I sometimes use the porter or crate for when I am away for a good part of the day.
I like the nail tip idea for cats but wonder since Kee Kee is an indoor/outdoor cat how he'd hunt and climb and protect himself.

See my avatar, he's too smart, he pushes the slider open while standing on the ZipDee chair credenza. LOL

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:22 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1993 34' Limited
Quartzsite , Arizona
Carol,
Get the red nails for your Kee Kee; all the birds, dogs, mice, el all will RUN, thinking he has blood on his claws!
Yes, smart kitty to open the slider.
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:20 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tiny spot on the map , Michigan
As a vet tech, I have to say that Soft Paws (the nail caps) are one of those ideas that are great in theory, not so great in practice. Some people love them, others just had their cats rip them off and ingest them. Also, cat claws, unlike dogs, are designed to retract into the skin when not in active use. Soft Paws keep them permanently extended, which can lead to discomfort.

I vote for Plexiglass and a scratching post. Sisal rope ones are the best, and make sure that it's solid and not tippy--they won't use it as much if it's unsteady.
Fiamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:53 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
salem , Oregon
Wow, great ideas & thanks

I looked at those nail covers last week at Petco. My cats would be horrified, but I celebrate whatever works for people. Further insights from Fiamma were illuminating, and they are not for me. But thanks.
The velcro idea is great. I have used that in other ways too. I just moved all of my household goods into storage pods and am in the Airstream fulltime. While I was packing, I found some liner to go under wood flooring. It is strong, very flexible and I am going to try and attach it to the "mouse fur" (good name) with velcro. Oh, how lovely that will be (not). I had carpet covered cat ramps in my house, and brought one along to assemble for them somewhere...maybe under the booth table. I never use that booth, and I think they will claim it.
The picture of the cat coming out of the screen door is a hoot. Where do they get such ideas? Ya gotta love their incredible imaginations and independent natures.
Soon as I can I will get some pictures on line. The cats are still happily with my neighbor who spoils them. C day is soon. I miss tripping over them, claiming my slim edge of the bed to avoid disturbing them, and serving their every need.
cat slave.
b
Old 05-16-2008, 11:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
We have a small, narrow woven hamper. It catches the laundry, and the cat thinks it's hers because it's made from the same stuff as a scratching post. She leaves the other carpets alone. Sorta depends on how easy it is to convince the cat.

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:06 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Get yourself some mousy friends for kitty to scratch! Though such creatures not so good for airstream. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...res-41836.html !

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:10 AM   #17
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSue
What have you who live and love cats done to protect the carpeted (velour soft) walls from being used as a cat scratch? I am visualizing covering the walls with something during my year's confinement with my furry family.
Any help appreciated.
Becca
A good scratching post and some training.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
training? the cats already know how to scratch!

don't let them watch these videos!

glumbert - Cats Go Crazy

glumbert - Engineer's Guide to Cats

Cat Wake-up Call | Cartoons & Comics | Funny Videos, Pictures and Jokes at JibJab
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:39 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
salem , Oregon
Ok, cat residence began yesterday. I was not prepared, but am winging it. First, a major de-cluttering!! I just moved out of my house (and sold it 2 days on the market) and seem to have kept too much out of storage. Both of my vehicles have become rolling storage units. So first thing this morning after our first night together (remember this is 4, yes 4!!! cats) was hauling everything possible out of the trailer. We need a clear path to clean, walk and play. The cover ideas for the walls just went to the wayside. I figure it will be easier to redo the walls after the event is over. So I broke down the kitchen booth and made it into the cat palace. I leave the windows open so they can watch the world go by, and are content there. I put several "lamb's wool" beds down for them to claim and put one litter box underneath the booth. Another litter box is in the bathroom. I have a wood floor and so far it is easy to clean, dust, and sweep. I am using covered litter boxes because the boys seem stand inside and miss the box. One more thing... I am putting oil cloth underneath the litter boxes, and then those hospital type water proof mats on top of the oil cloth. When there is an accident, I can just pull out the mat and replace with a new one.
Everyone is enjoying lots of brushing, in fact, fighting over who gets the grooming. I bought a wonderful comb that really pulls the loose fur out, and should help with the shedding. It is going to be some work in close quarters, but just a way to keep the family together until the next life leap.
Oh, one fellow seems to love finding his way into every secret cove in the trailer. I opened the kitchen cabinet and he came pealing out of there after a brief confinement. He loves making his way into the storage under the double bed and hiding.
Thanks for all your ideas, but soon, I will be the expert! (if we survive)
Again, I will get some pictures on line soon.
becca
Old 06-01-2008, 11:01 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
We used to travel with one of our cats everywhere ~ car, RV, boat, plane... found some nice redwood tree rounds and cut them in half. Redwood bark is especially nice for kitty's to scratch on... they can really get their scent in the bark or something. Also had the same thing at home, so instead of retraining each time we were in a different mode of travel, it all seemed like home to kitty.

With four.... you might have more of a challenge. but with a little discipline they can be taught. They are pretty smart, you know!

Good luck! We'd love to see pics of the kitty's! And the A/S too!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote