Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2020, 12:27 AM   #1

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Florissant , Colorado
Portable generator feet stained floor

We have a Flying Could 23D. We take a portable generator with us on our adventures. We put the generator inside the Airstream when we stored it and noticed that the plastic feet stained black rings on the linoleum floor. We have scrubbed and soaked the stains but can’t seem to remove them. Has anyone else done this and managed to remove those stains? Can it be patched or will we have to replace the entire floor? Thanks.
bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 04:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Magic eraser or lighter fluid I would try.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:14 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard...👍

After you get the floor clean....consider a container.

Mineral spirits or Brakleen.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_f2d.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	410.7 KB
ID:	360615   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_264.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	360616  

Old 02-06-2020, 08:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
After you get the floor clean....consider a container.
Those 24 gal. Action Packers have become quite rare.
Sportsman's Warehouse has them for $40 with free shipping!
Don't buy the 35 Gallon. They're too big and awkward.
I haven't found anything better, you can leave them in the rain and water doesn't puddle on the lid, you can sit on them, they weigh almost nothing, and seem to last forever.
I added a rope loop under the latches so I could pull it out of the truck bed using a boathook (great tool)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rubbermaid-action-packer-24-gallon-lockable-storage-box-1491876-1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	360621  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:28 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Those 48 gal. Action Packers have become quite rare. And Valuable!
I haven't found anything better, you can leave them in the rain and water doesn't puddle on the lid, you can sit on them, they weigh almost nothing, and seem to last forever.
I added a rope loop under the latches so I could pull it out of the truck bed using a boathook (great tool)
Yes, they sure are hard to find...ours it a 24gal.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-06-2020, 08:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Pledge Revive It... to protect finish when new

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
We have a Flying Could 23D. We take a portable generator with us on our adventures. We put the generator inside the Airstream when we stored it and noticed that the plastic feet stained black rings on the linoleum floor. We have scrubbed and soaked the stains but can’t seem to remove them. Has anyone else done this and managed to remove those stains? Can it be patched or will we have to replace the entire floor? Thanks.
Our 2006 23 foot Safari had the light wood plank looking floor. The 'new' hallway runners we used had a rubber backing to prevent slipping.

After the first Season of use, we noticed a discoloring of the linoleum. It was not on the surface, but had penetrated into the linoleum floor. This was more of a chemical reaction between the floor runner's rubber backing and the linoleum.

It was a light amber that contrasted with the linoleum's color. Just a tint or two darker and the outline of the runner was noticeable in contrast.

The surface of the linoleum was not changed, just discolored where in contact with the runners. We now seal the linoleum when we purchase new and no longer have had any discoloring occur. Problem solved, but yours may also be permanent. After applying the 'floor gloss' in the 2006 it was sparkling clean with the light floor runner tinting remaining.

We now clean the floors on the 2014 and recently with the 2019 Airstreams and used Pledge 'Revive It' to seal the floor's surface, which was called 'Future' in 2006. We used this sealer immediately after the later trailers were ours. It is very durable with use and having two Blue Heelers is easy to wipe clean any wet prints and our own dirt from out footwear. We often remove our shoes before entering the trailer once camped.

Follow the instructions on the product's label, seen through the clear container from the backside...

Pledge 'Future' in 2006. Pledge 'Revive It' in 2020. It works for us. For a smooth coverage, it will take two applications and a third if your floor dries fast as it does in the low humidity out West. It is durable. Permanent and protects the shiny gloss of the linoleum. Probably not recommended for the rougher texture grassy flooring on the 2019 and 2020 Airstreams we looked at before picking out the International Signature interior.

Touch up after a few years, depending on how you cover the floor with runners or not. Stays clear to this point and not discolored after years of use for us.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:30 AM   #7
Proud Owner Vintage SBB

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
...plastic feet stained black rings on the linoleum floor... Can it be patched or will we have to replace the entire floor?
If in fact you have a linoleum floor, you could use steel wool on it to remove stains (even that of a stubbed out cigarette) because true linoleum -- not vinyl flooring -- true linoleum (like Marmoleum) is made from products such as <<linseed oil, cellulose, pine resin, ground cork dust, wood flour, and mineral fillers such as calcium carbonate, most commonly on a burlap or canvas backing.>> What's more, you can remove and plug (inlay) a patch or to create a design, and "weld" seams. A great old fashioned product.

Michael
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by '55 Airlight View Post
If in fact you have a linoleum floor, you could use steel wool on it to remove stains (even that of a stubbed out cigarette) because true linoleum -- not vinyl flooring -- true linoleum (like Marmoleum) is made from products such as <<linseed oil, cellulose, pine resin, ground cork dust, wood flour, and mineral fillers such as calcium carbonate, most commonly on a burlap or canvas backing.>> What's more, you can remove and plug (inlay) a patch or to create a design, and "weld" seams. A great old fashioned product.

Michael
Very True!

Be sure what you have is indeed "linoleum" or "Marmoleum". Great product!

I suspect what you are calling "Linoleum" is really a misnomer and is a Vinyl flooring product with a shiny clear surface that will stain through the clear coat to the soft material under it. Ray is correct, If it is vinal that can not be removed.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:30 AM   #9
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Another alternative would be to use the AS Floor mat or any mat.

Or you can use one of those furniture mover pads.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:52 AM   #10

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Florissant , Colorado
Thankyou

Thanks to all who replied to our post. Annoying how an oversight created an unsightly stain. In the future I will store the generator in a travel container. For now we will just put a throw rug over the stain. Thanks again. Jim
bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I am old. Vinyl.

We use the rubber back hallway rugs as they do not slip and avoid hurting our selves when inside. Rugs that can slip can cause you to do the whoopee doo like skiing in Colorado on crusty snow.

They also do not move when traveling. I would be careful putting a generator on or in anything that could vibrate and wear into your vinyl floor. Also something that could slide around while moving.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:59 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
I have a package of Tide wipes. These little things seem to take the stain out of just about anything I have messed up. Concrete is the exception. It's just too porous.
Good luck with yours!
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:58 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
Another vote for Action Packers. They also protect the generator from scarring the case when rattling against a pickup bed.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:20 AM   #14
Proud Owner Vintage SBB

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Vinyl, Schminyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
I am old. Vinyl.

While I do not doubt you're truly old, Ray, linoleum is lots older. <<It was invented in 1860... intended for use first as a ship deck covering (battleship linoleum up to 1/2" thick)....Linoleum remained popular until after World War II, when easy-to-maintain and durable vinyl flooring was introduced. The craft of manufacturing linoleum has evolved over the last 150 years. Forbo has been driving this development through its Marmoleum brand.>>

Just sayin',
Michael
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote