Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2005, 02:54 PM   #1
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Por15 Questions?

I just ordered new shocks for my Safari.

The wheel wells have surface rust on them so I was thinking of putting on a coat of por15 while I'm working in the area.

I noticed that they also have special topcoats. Do I need to use a por topcoat or after I put on the por15 can I just use a spray can of rustoleum black?

Also, how much would I need of the por15 to do a couple of dual axle wheel wells and maybe the entry step?

In fact, do I need to por15 at all? Is it that benificial?
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
I just ordered new shocks for my Safari.

The wheel wells have surface rust on them so I was thinking of putting on a coat of por15 while I'm working in the area.

I noticed that they also have special topcoats. Do I need to use a por topcoat or after I put on the por15 can I just use a spray can of rustoleum black?

Also, how much would I need of the por15 to do a couple of dual axle wheel wells and maybe the entry step?

In fact, do I need to por15 at all? Is it that benificial?
I've had nothing but GOOD luck with their products. You should stick to thier top coating. 1 quart goes a long way, that should do ya...
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
The POR-15 topcoat is needed with the silver color because it is not UV stable...it turns a shade of goldish-green.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:24 PM   #4
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
Do I need to use a por topcoat or after I put on the por15 can I just use a spray can of rustoleum black?
Hi Tim,

I bought the POR-15 "mixed pack" here:

http://www.por15store.com/page/por15/PROD/POR15/MXPK

The top coat is not necessary but the POR-15 is not UV resistant so for cosmetic reasons only a top coat should be used. I used less than one 4 ounce can of each to paint my 2 wheels. They say 1 can covers 12 sq feet.

You could use Rustoleum over it...just make sure you spray while the POR-15 is still tacky because if you let it cure nothing will stick.

Good luck,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
IIRC you can use any topcoat with the POR-15. However, I do think that their topcoat is well worth using, since it probably is better formulated to work together. That said, if you are looking to use black, you shouldn't need to top coat it. It's only the silver color (which is a heavier duty product, so it may be worth using) that requires a topcoat, exactly as Shari says.

I bought a six pack, thinking I'd need that much. As I learned, a little goes a very long way...I painted all of my front hitch, top and underneath the step and most of the back bumper before I gave up and tossed the remainder of the first tiny can away. However, I don't think you can buy the six pack mini-sized cans individually. OTOH, I would suggest if you do end up getting the six pack, get a variety of colors. We've used them for a variety of reasons and having the other colors is nice (and they make nice gifts to other trailering friends).

Mary
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 04:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
If it's the wheel wells that you're touching up, and not the wheels themselves, I'd think a rust neutralizer followed by a coat of the black Por-15 would be more than sufficient. I wouldn't imagine a topcoat being necessary, given where it is.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 04:18 PM   #7
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I plan on touching up the wheel wells, and the entry step. If I had enough I would do the hitch, all though its not neccessary.

So, if I stick with black I don't need a topcoat at all? Even for the entry step?

I just don't want to buy a bunch of stuff I don't need. After the dinette/counter top and flooring projects my AS funds are dwindling! ;-)
Old 03-24-2005, 04:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
If your entry step isn't always out and exposed to the sun all day every day, then I'm not certain I'd bother with a topcoat on the black. Were it silver, then yes I would, due to the discoloration issue. I'd also consider a topcoat on any section that will be exposed at all times to the sun, black or otherwise.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:53 PM   #9
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
...my AS funds are dwindling! ;-)
Tim, your breaking my heart because I know right where you are at. I'm in the same boat. PM me your address and I'll send you a can of POR-15 and Blackcote. After I do my hitch I don't have any use in mind for the rest of my 6 pack.

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:22 PM   #10
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfixx
Tim, your breaking my heart because I know right where you are at. I'm in the same boat. PM me your address and I'll send you a can of POR-15 and Blackcote. After I do my hitch I don't have any use in mind for the rest of my 6 pack.

Steve
Steve, what a nice offer! But I'll gladly share the cost. Just make sure you truley don't need it.

Look for a PM...
Old 03-25-2005, 03:36 AM   #11
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
What you guys need...

is another project I have been splitting POR-15 costs with my Father in Law, he has a 57 Chevy and a tractor he has been using it on, so I can contribute to the cause and get what I need

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 04:54 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Beginner

In reguards to POR-15:
1. For the best results follow the directions as written. If it says clean with the Marine Clean, let dry, apply the Metal Prep and let dry over night then apply the black coat, just follow their directions. Any questions, call them and ask.
2. If you plan to use the cleaner, Prep, Black coat and their primer because you want to treat a section prone to rust on an automobile (pinch well area around the windshield), and then apply the cars original color over it all, after the primer dries overnight you must apply a water base primer sealer surfacer over their primer as the color coat (base color coat then clear coat) WILL lift the POR-15 primer and you will end up resanding and recoating the area with the POR-15 products to get the full benefits of their products.
3. Items 1 and 2 are based on experience over a 15 year period of restoring antique and not so antique automobiles. I live in Norfolk Virginia where there is always salt and moisture in the air and the POR-15 products work great if applied properly.
4. Should you get any of the POR-15 products on your hands, get it off immedately. If you let it dry it could take weeks to wear off.

Beginner

If you can't find the time to do it right the first time, where do you find time to do it over again? Overtime?
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote