Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2003, 11:17 AM   #1
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Pergo on early 70's trailers

I was wondering how many owners of early 70's trailers with the dark wood laminate and dark tambour doors, have put pergo flooring in?

I was thinking it may look too woodsy and dark. If you did it, how did it turn out?
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 12:22 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

We have the dark wqood in our 68. We went with a Armstrong Laminate that had a lighter color wood with wood grain that matched the dark wood. We were woried about being to dark also. It turned out pretty good.
TBKP's Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 02:42 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

In our '71 Safari, we removed the carpeting and used 12" self adhesive vinyl tile from Home Depot. It is in brown and rust tones. Looks kinda like slate.
does a good job and easy to clean.
Dan
Dbraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 03:39 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
schaumburg , confusion
Send a message via AIM to Tikihut
I put down a Purgo floor in my 77 Argosy 6 meter. I used a darker oak and it looks great.

Chris
Tikihut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 03:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

You might have to look at other brands as well to get what you want, but laminated flooring comes in all kinds of faux looks - wood, tile, stone, and probably tin for all I know. You can get light, or dark finishes, or anywhere in between.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 05:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I've seen laminate in a number of 70's trailers and I think it looks great - have not seen one I did not like. That is on my project list.

Ken J.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 05:31 PM   #7
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Brawner
In our '71 Safari, we removed the carpeting and used 12" self adhesive vinyl tile from Home Depot.
I put the Armstrong self adhesive tiles in mine. Even though I prepped the wood floor, I must have did it wrong. The tiles have never stuck. That's what I get from listening to a 16 year old at Home Depot for what I should prep the floor with.

It was some kind of sealer that had the look and consistancy of milk. It just kind of soaked into the wood as I painted in on. I am sure it was the wrong stuff.

I can pick any tile I want and remove it easily. Some even slide around if you try with your foot.

Was thinking of upgrading to the pergo type of flooring. But have shocks and polishing to do first

You can see me hard at work putting the tiles in here:

Tim's non-adhesive flooring ;-)
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 06:22 PM   #8
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Tim, check my photo album for a few pics of my pergo job. looks like I have the same "brady-bunch" interior as you. The name of this style is "honey oak", of the "pergo presto" line that is available at home depot. at the time, it was the best match I could find for the cabinets. It seems to me that the popularity of this stuff has taken off, as there are many more color/style options available now...even compared to last summer, when I put this in. I've seen pics where people have used lighter colors, but I just didn't think that any of them coordinated that well with the dark cabinets. I took the little kitchen counter extension off the cabinet, and brought it around to all the stores to pick the flooring.

in the last month or so, we picked out a style for my house, and found that less than a year later, there are alot more styles available...and also, it seems that darker colors are coming back. there was hardly anything available last summer in darker shades...now there's tons of it. may actually be a better match now.

it does look dark, though. I'd much rather go with a light color...but only if it doesn't "swear" w/ the cabinets. maybe someday I'll replace the interior with 1/4 inch oak or birch plywood instead of the fake stuff that's there. maybe the cat will grow another tail, too...
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 07:35 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Pergo on early 70's trailers

Fowler Interiors installed Armstrong Laminate flooring in my '78 Argosy Minuet. The coach has the medium to dark maple cabinetry for bases and the upper cabinetry is covered with the same vinyl as the walls - - the upper cabinet tambour is pickled birch veneer. In answer to my request for a light and airy interior, the Fowlers selected a color from the Armstrong Laminate line called "Light Cherry" - - the darker tones coordinated perfectly with the base cabinetry while the lighter tones coordinated with the pickled birch veneer in the upper cabinet tambours and the beige patterns in the vinyl wall coverings. If you prefer lighter floor coverings, it is possible to find a lighter color that will coordinate with the darker finishes on the '70s interiors.

Good luck with your search for the flooring product that meets your decorating goal.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 09:52 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Tim, we are trying to find the correct color of wood laminate flooring to coordinate with our dark cabinetry and tambour. We are trying to lighten it up a bit because everything is so 'brown' in there right now.

So far we cannot agree on a color. My husband loves the very light, pickled look but it just contrasts too drastically with the cabinets. My thoughts are to install a light Berber carpeting in the front, and a darker wood laminate beginning in the kitchen area.
That way the overall look would be much lighter, yet the darker Pergo would go well with the cabinetry.

We may be installing carpet throughout if we cannot agree on a color.
cykakris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 09:57 AM   #11
nds
3 Rivet Member

Has anyone tried cork flooring?
nds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 10:25 AM   #12
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Try this link:

Cork Floor
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 03:23 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Bilt in stubbornness here

Replaced awful looking original blue carpet in my unit

Used Berber

Major ERROR

Have small Scottie with 4 large feet. Couldn't keep it clean, even though I was told it was stain guarded

Removed it prior to current X country trip. used Pergo Presto in a lite shade to contrast with the dark brown pseudo oak woodwork
Best move for me and dog. Takes 3 minutes to brush dust and dirt from entire unit.
The important ? is to determine the weight of each carton of flooring and multiply by total boxes to be needed as it can mount up in the weight department
Airstream Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 05:24 PM   #14

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I agree, the vinyl is a lot easier to keep clean. I just sweep out the trailer after a trip and we're ready to go again.

I have been looking for something to cover the floor with, as it has a rather dated bright orange and yellow honeycomb vinyl now. Whoever put it down must have removed the furniture, because it goes underneith everything all the way to the walls.

I don't want to pull everything out so I found some self-stick vinyl squares. They look like a light oak. We bought a few and laid them out in the trailer next to the cabinets to see how they look. I don't see any problem with the oak looking floor against the mahogany cabinets. No worse than the bright orange floor.

I thought about Pergo but I'm afraid it would interfere with the drawers under the gaucho opening because it is so thick. Plus it's quite heavy compared to the vinyl squares.

We'll see how it goes. So far I haven't had the guts to try and stick them down yet. It looks like a lot of tiresome trimming and fitting will be ahead of me under the angled dinette. Ugh!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 09:04 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

I much prefer the look of linoleum in the vintage trailers.
I still have the original vinyl asbestos tile in mine but
have ordered an armstrong linoleum that comes in a
sheet. In addition to loking good it is extremely practical.
I think we will remove the 2 gauchos but not the galley
cabinets for installation. I had a hard time deciding on the colors because none were perfect. I gravitated towards those that were darker but didnt want to have a dark floor in such a small space. We "tested" it with a very large remnant from a
job and it was way too much.

Heidi
'67 Caravel
hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:28 PM   #16
Vintage Airstream Owner

1972 31' Sovereign
Conway , South Carolina
Pergo wood Flooring

I have just purchased Brazillian Cherry Pergo flooring to install in my living rm and kitchen area. 3 in 1 pad. I was thinking of replaceing the wood oak walls at the fridge ans stove area to a formica white with the original cabinets. Also we are ging to do the walls in a red tone weave raise washable paper. with a raised white down the center.

Karl
Visit My Website at https://www.airstreamowners.com
Kebamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 06:37 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Eagle Lake / Eastport , Florida / Maine
Has anyone replaced ALL their flooring with one of the "pergo" types? How do you deal with the cabinet replacement since the flooring will now be thicker than the origional? I have tried the traffic master brand from Home Depot in my home with good result, it is peel and stick but I also used glue on the floor and it has worked out well but I am tired of the marble look and want to use something different in the trailer. Thanks John
Johndigbydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:06 AM   #18
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
This is the Pergo floor in my 75 Trade Wind. I think it looks great. The color works well with the 70's darker interior. The floor was done by the PO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floor1.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	17191  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 06:41 AM   #19
Vintage Airstream Owner

1972 31' Sovereign
Conway , South Carolina
Pergo

Hi Everyone,
What we did was remove the green commercail carpeting from our 72 sovereign and replaced it with Brazillian Cherry Pergo laminate. Then on the wall my wife picked out a reddish raised basket weave wallpaper and used kitchen/bath wallpaper adheasive, and on the center roof area used raised deco paper that was white and looked like the old tin roofs. Then on all the wood finish we sprayed it with high gloss poly clear. We are going to pait the rings around the windows black to pick up so of the highlites in the floor. One thing about the paper is it hides all the rivets on the inside.

Karl
Visit My Website at https://www.airstreamowners.com
Kebamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 07:18 AM   #20
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndigbydog
Has anyone replaced ALL their flooring with one of the "pergo" types? How do you deal with the cabinet replacement since the flooring will now be thicker than the origional? I have tried the traffic master brand from Home Depot in my home with good result, it is peel and stick but I also used glue on the floor and it has worked out well but I am tired of the marble look and want to use something different in the trailer. Thanks John
John,
My TradeWind got new Pergo flooring a long time ago. We since sold the trailer. No furniture was removed. You can cut around the edges and then use the Pergo trim to clean up the transition from floor to wall, or from floor to cabinets. A lot more work, but at least everything still fits afterwards.
We really liked the Pergo in that trailer. It had a clean look and was excellent wearing material. I can recommend it.
Keep in mind, though, that it is definitely heavy. It will add quite a few pounds to the weight of the trailer.