Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
middleboro , Massachusetts
Painting all the sides of a new floor?

I was wondering what you all think about painting all the sides of a new floor with a good exterior grade paint before putting it in? It could help waterproof it a bit more. It would not be the finish floor. Just an idea.
supergg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I think I would use a marine grade epoxy to make a near waterproof coating.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I second the epoxy...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...tml#post976432
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Is that sold at an rv place, boat shop or the depot?
Old 09-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Epoxy sounds great. I use exterior porch paint.....
and a coat of Vulcum on the edges for that extra waterproofing... It lasted over 50 years on the front porch and preserved the high traffic wood floor there....cheap and available everywhere.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Exterior paint gets rained on all the time and seems to last a long, long time. Epoxy, on the other hand, is tuff as nails. I have not even taken out my floors yet. I am just working on some ideas.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergg View Post
Exterior paint gets rained on all the time and seems to last a long, long time. Epoxy, on the other hand, is tuff as nails. I have not even taken out my floors yet. I am just working on some ideas.
For the record, everyone always seems so adamant on epoxy resin. However, for a closer price to a good exterior grade paint, you can get polyester resin ($35/gal at West marine), which has maybe 10% more water absorption compared to epoxy resin, but in comparison to all other paints and for our purposes, it is nil. This is of course assuming you are not letting leaks happen from the top, and you are not sandwiching the insulation against the frame like was originally done so that water will not be resting right under the wood. In those cases, I would go with epoxy resin for that extra bit of security. (or at least a topcoat of epoxy resin on my two layers of poly resin).

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergg View Post
Is that sold at an rv place, boat shop or the depot?
Gougeon Brothers WEST System epoxies Gougeon Brothers, Inc. are sold at most boat supply places. There are a variety of good boatbuilding epoxy systems sold by various boatbuilding supply places.

I have never used polyester resin, but having built a couple of epoxy-plywood boats I think very highly of marine epoxies. The thing about epoxy that may not be true of polyester is the extent of the penetration of the resin into the wood. Although syrupy, epoxy is unbelievably "runny" and penetrates deeply into the pores and crevices in the wood.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I used West to coat all the edges, top and bottom, and in about 8 inches. Why, because that is what was rotted on the old floor, the edges. I also applied 3 coats of a good marine urethane exterior spar varnish to the rest of the wood. In the rear, a little wider than the hatch and inboard to past were the toilet flange is, I went a extra step. I glassed the floor with fiberglass cloth and West resin. I used a medium weight glass fabric. This gave extra stiffness to the floor around the toilet flange and total water protection along the inside of the hatch area. I feathered the edges and there so there would be no bump under my vinyl floor. Of course I fixed all the water leaks so don't have any problems with water getting in the hatch cover at this time, but I sure feel better knowing that I did everything I could to preserve the integrity of the floor if there is ever a leak.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
FWIW...the pros that installed my Marmoleum will not install it over a painted or epoxied floor. The recommended glue for the linoleum installation will not stick to the smooth, slick painted/expoy surfaces...the glue needs to penetrate the wood in order to bond with it and stick properly.

We painted the bottom side and the edges of the wood under the c-channel - but the nearly one-piece (2 meters wide) Marmoleum was bonded directly to the bare wood, both on our current trailer and our previous one that was done 9 years prior to our selling it this spring. We did make sure the one seam was "welded", not just butted and we caulked the perimeter to the wall, so it is essentially a seamless floor. We've never had any problems with it delaminating...this is the one thing we wanted to be 100% sure it was "done right" and paid to have done by a professional on our restorations.

IMO, it was money well spent for the piece of mind that the floor is solid.

Of course, depending on your proposed floor finish, this may not be the issue...I just would hate to see you go to the effort & expense painting or epoxying the floor only to have the floorcovering installer sand it off.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:02 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
FWIW...the pros that installed my Marmoleum will not install it over a painted or epoxied floor...
Shari
Thats a very good point. The super hard slick surface of epoxy doesn't allow much to grab it. Even when we use this stuff to build Kayaks, it must be sanded prior to applying any overcoat.

One attribute that boat builders look for in an epoxy is penetration of the wood. If it just sits on the surface and gets hard it will tend to chunk off. Me is gussin' thats why the Marm'pros don't wanna mess with a prepped floor...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Brandon , Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
For the record, everyone always seems so adamant on epoxy resin. However, for a closer price to a good exterior grade paint, you can get polyester resin ($35/gal at West marine), which has maybe 10% more water absorption compared to epoxy resin, but in comparison to all other paints and for our purposes, it is nil. This is of course assuming you are not letting leaks happen from the top, and you are not sandwiching the insulation against the frame like was originally done so that water will not be resting right under the wood. In those cases, I would go with epoxy resin for that extra bit of security. (or at least a topcoat of epoxy resin on my two layers of poly resin).
The water absorption wouldn't be the major issue in my book either. More importantly, because epoxy is more flexible and sticks to wood a lot better than polyester - the epoxy actually soaks in and really sticks hard, polyester not so much. This is why when wooden boats are sheathed in fibreglass epoxy resin is used (when it's done properly) otherwise the flexing of the hull causes separation of the glass/resin from the hull then water gets trapped and rot does the rest. It's also why nobody uses polyester resin as a wood glue, but epoxy is used quite heavily for that purpose..

Perhaps the same might happen with the trailer floor, I don't know, but that's the view from the boatbuilding side of things.

As a side note, West epoxy is a really good product that's been around for ages, but for that quantity it's going to hurt in the wallet department. There are cheaper alternatives. I recently built a cedar strip canoe using Raka epoxy, which was a fraction of the price can be bought online/over the phone and is working out fine so far...

Hope this helps,
Rob.
L.D.Clara is offline   Reply With Quote