Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2006, 03:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
NewCastle , Pennsylvania
opinions on floor repair

I am removing at least the last two feet of floor in my 65 Ambassador. I know I have some frame repair that will be done once the floor is out and the holding tank and pan are removed. Should I go ahead and remove the remaning aprox 20" of floor to get to the first seam or should I cut the rear section of floor that is in good shape?

Tbrom
tbrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrom
... Should I go ahead and remove the remaning aprox 20" of floor to get to the first seam...
That what I did on my '67. Details are at my Overlander's web site (link below).

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:54 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
NewCastle , Pennsylvania
Nice site. I actually have so of the same questions that you had about the cut out around by dump valve. I am a visual learner so I am hoping some one has a simular set up as what I am supposed to and the can take a picture.
Thanks Tim
Old 11-01-2006, 07:09 PM   #4
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Not the same model but I think same idea?

I made the repairs to the frame, used POR and new ply with fiberglass.

It's now rock solid, the other side was fine, this was caused by a leak by the tail light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leak rot floor (Medium).jpg
Views:	141
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	27908  

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:32 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
NewCastle , Pennsylvania
I am not 100% sure what caused my floor rot. I know I had a vent leak. The PO also left the rear hatch panel door off for any where from 3-7 years.The water heater looks as though if it had leaked, there is still no gasket to speak of around the rear hatch(not sure what is supposed to be there) May have been and still may be more.

Tbrom
Old 11-01-2006, 10:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
For a 1965.... I would remove as much as you can so you can por as much of the frame as possible. Have you removed the belly pan? How much repair/redo are you expecting to do? While you are in there you can replumb at least the part you are working with!

Got pictures?

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:46 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
NewCastle , Pennsylvania
I have removed the bathroom. I am planning to remove the belly pan as the frame repair dictates. I am in no hurry to remove the belly pan due to the weather. I am thinking it is more of a spring project.
Tbrom
Old 11-04-2006, 10:20 AM   #8
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
It's not a big job to drop the belly pans, I'm sure you will find soaking insulation which will continue to damage over the winter.

If you drop the pan now remove the wet stuff, it will dry out over the winter and you can plan your spring work list after a look see under.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:55 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Moncton , New Brunswick
Lipets,

I don't want to but in on this thread, but I looked at the picture you posted on your 11-01-2006 reply. I have a 1978 Soveriegn and think I will be in to something like you have shown. I know from removing the front subfloor section that I have at least a few rotted outriggers, and some pretty good rot in at least one location along a main frame rail where the outrigger had joined. All that is left on e few of the outriggers I could see was the top "angle" metal part.

How did yo go about repairing your frame? I recall seeing some of your posts before - are there pictures showing what you did?

Regarding replacing outriggers, I see that out-of-door-mart has them for about $20.00 US. Are they worth it, and how hard are they to get on? Can you advise on welding method best to work with for the airstream frame( I have no experience but someone has offered to lend me a small welder and get me strated).

I'll be getting my trailer up om ramps and dropping the belly pan in the next few weeks. Have posted earlier on my plans. Kind of new to the forums and still trying to find my way around re: subscriptions, etc.

Thanks,

Toga
toga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:34 AM   #10
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I have a pic, can't find it at the moment.

But what I did is had a alum 3/16" C channel made up by a local fabricator with a welded flange at the end, to ty into the cross member.

The C channel fit inside the old C channel it was made to fit very close, I used a sledge hammer to help it in.

I was going to have it made out of 1/8" steel and weld it but the guy at the shop said the load in this part of the frame didn't need it.

He's doing this stuff a long time so I did it his way.

Then we can't weld alum to steel, so he drilled a bunch of 5/16" holes and I drilled thru the steel and used SS bolts.

I also used 1/4" self tapping flat head screws to fasten the plywood to the frame. So everything is tyed together like a rock.

Old 11-04-2006, 04:25 PM   #11
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
C channel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C channel.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	28119  

Old 11-04-2006, 04:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets
...I was going to have it made out of 1/8" steel and weld it but the guy at the shop said the load in this part of the frame didn't need it...
The load did not necessarily need it, but now you have mixed metals; Add humidity and you have the recipe for galvanic corrosion.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 04:34 PM   #13
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Not sure I agree, the steel has 3 coats of POR, and
no insultion below the floor to keep it wet.

Time will tell.

Old 11-04-2006, 04:44 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
NewCastle , Pennsylvania
When you drop your belly pan do you leave a little material to reattach the new pan to or are you removing it completely? I have thought about removing the pan as soon as I get accsess to a good welding machine. My little buzz box dosen't cut the mustard.
Tbrom
Old 11-04-2006, 04:50 PM   #15
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Your not cutting the pan out, all you need to do is drill out about 75 rivets.

It will come down, if its in good shape you can reuse it.

If not a 4X8 sheet is about $50

Old 11-04-2006, 05:05 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
NewCastle , Pennsylvania
I don't think I'll reuse the old pan. I would rather use new material if it's feasible. Would you remove more of the floor than what is rotted? I am under the impression that most of my welding can be done from underneath.
Tbrom
Old 11-04-2006, 05:30 PM   #17
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Once the pan is down you can also inspect most of the plywood from the bottom.

Mine looked great except for two spots, one I didn't see from the top or inside.

I would only remove what is bad.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:13 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Moncton , New Brunswick
Lipets,

Thanks for the info and picture on your frame repair. Did you have to do any outriggers. Also did you insulate below the floor and in between the belly pan or leave it open?

Toga
toga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:29 PM   #19
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Outriggers were ok, a few bolts were missing, don't know why?

No insulation in the belly, I am putting it inside on the floor, with Pergo on top.

If you want to put it in the belly or on the floor do NOT use the pink stuff, only use the foil bubble it will not absorb moisture and it has an R-14 rating.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:58 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
bubble insulation

We just came home with our AS two days ago. The very first thing my husband did was start taking down the belly since it had mice underneath in the insulation. I can really see the validity of Bob's bubble insulation over the standard; all the insulation was a soggy matted mess filled with mouse waste. UGH.

Luckily the floors appear to be ok in general and not rotted. However we do need to replace a couple of outriggers. Can someone give me the link to out-door-mart?

I would think that the bubble in addition to being drier would be less likely to get critters in since it wouldn't make good nesting. (?) I couldn't quickly find the link in the forum as to where to best buy the bubble insulation, but know that it can be bought at Farmtek.

I don't know how the prices compare but there is the link: http://www.farmtek.com/webapp/wcs/st...egoryIds=11210
wannaroam is offline   Reply With Quote