Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #101
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
I'm west of Stirling right now. At Island Park RV resort - where I have a seasonal site.

After my third fellow looking at this and talking to me - I just feel so overwhelmed.

I have called CanAM RV and will be sending them my set of photos and took some more of the general deterioration of this undercarriage.

I have told them my whole situation and will see what they recommend.

I have dealt with Andy at CA - and he is a great guy and super knowledgeable.

I thought as this job gets out of hand - I need to some how reign it in before my trailer just becomes a lump of garbage in the trailer park here.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
When it comes down to it, the job needs to be done in a shop given all that is needed. Having an Airstream knowledgeable group do the work is a plus as they may be able to assist you with your discussions with the mother ship.

I've seen far too many projects started, the owner becomes overwhelmed with what is needed, doesn't have the tools or knowledge to finish it properly, and the outcome is either it is not done correctly, it is sold as a project, or it becomes a nightmare of an on going never ending project that the owner will come to dislike in a major way.

Does any one know if insurance would cover any of this? Just wondering........and I still think you need to go to Transport Canada and find out where you go to get some government assistance in dealing with what is potentially a wide spread safety issue with this year and model of trailer.

Keep us posted - and you are in our thoughts and prayers - I know if any of us were nearer we'd be out trying to help. It is the nature of Airstream owners it seems, to do whatever we can to help our fellow campers.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
"First - WTH - are these wires for - they just were hanging out the floor of the trailer and lead nowhere or attach to anything - anyone know what they are? almost look like speaker wires??"

Hiya, Ladybug. Your thread caused me to go outside in the wee hours, in my underwear with flashlight in hand, to check my own frame on my 2005 19ft. (I can do that because I'm in the middle of nowhere ). It's mostly concealed by the belly pan, but everything seems to be in order.

Those wires could be a pre-wire for external speakers as part of the Audio/Video package. I got the A/V package on my Bambi, and it seems to be located in the same place. I wish you the best in your quest to get this resolved.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Flatbed

Sharon.. Could we flatbed it over to CA?
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #105
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
It might be an option.

Can Am is reviewing the full set of photos I sent them today, along with the assessment the welders have given me. I have one more guy coming out tomorrow - he is right here in Stirling.

I am thinking of those two options - just either do a spot plate weld and take a slow ride to CanAm, or start looking at maybe CAA to tow it over for me - but I would have to take it on the road and become miraculously disabled - I have the 200klm radius though so not sure how much it would be the rest of the way. And then of course there is tempting fate, and have my outriggers give way or break at the slightest bump - or worse have the otherside break - there is already cracks on the street side rear outrigger and bending.

I don't know this is all such a crap shoot right now. Just have to sit tight and wait for all the pieces to fall in place.

Would it not bounce around on a flat bed? Maybe not as much but still would right?

Maybe Skylift or whatever that insurance company is - might come and airlift it to emergency? Or at least come and get me and put me in a rubber room and out of my own misery - OMG I am the drama queen right now.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
It would bounce on the flatbed, but the flatbed trailer's suspension would be absorbing the worst of the road bumps - not your frame. You could also strap it down pretty tight.

I've been in something of the same situation. I got a call from Frank's Trailer Works that two of the five cross members of my Argosy's frame had basically come unwelded from the main rails. All unexpected work. You sit down, sigh a deep breath, and go ahead with it.

While CanAm will undoubtedly cost more to do the work, they know how to get all of this apart - and back together again. You'll have a working trailer in probably 3 weeks rather than months. (I'm a client of theirs as well.)

Hoping for the best.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Sharon, I'm thinking (always dangerous) that if you can brace the A/S on the ground, you should be able to brace it on a trailer. Haul it up and put blocks under the frame and outriggers. They'd have to strap the unit down by the tires/axles but then the whole trailer and Airstream would move as a unit. How are the roads between you and the dealer? I'd tow at 35-45 even if they're prety good.

Do you have any place to store your stuff other than your tow vehicle - a storage locker or anything? Perhaps you could ship it to a friend or maybe Peter would keep it for you while the work is being done.

Does this feel like it's going to turn into a Frame Off/New Frame deal? Of course if you do that - you might as well replace the OSB floor too. US Prices for the job WAG (wild ass guess) $7000 - Frame probably $1000-1500, Plywood floor $300, Waterproofing Plywood $200 - labor all the rest.

I just get a headache thinking of what the vintage owners go through removing the interior, redoing the plumbing, propane, electric lines, lifting the shell, and prepping the floor, drilling the floor for electric, plumbing, propane, etc., then resetting the shell and putting the interior back in. At least the appliances are good and you don't HAVE to upgrade or redo the sound system, faucets, plumbing from scratch. It will have to take at least a week or two at least to do the work.

I haven't closed the deal on the Avion yet - don't know if I will - but if that happens wanna borrow it for the duration? (The BIG "IF" is a bad roof vent in the bedroom - if it's 3 week's damage that's one thing. Three years and black mold is a deal breaker for me. )

It's UGLEEEEE inside! But if it's habitable and I get it, I'd lend it to you for the duration.

Paula

Paula
Old 08-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #108
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Any update on what is happening? Just hoping things are sorting out okay for you.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:54 AM   #109
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
I will say that the lack of customer service from airstream on this issue has probably been the end of my airstream dreams. IHMO, with a systemic known frame problem they should have dropped a tech with a portable welder on a plane to the customer and had him fix it on site. It appears that the Airstreams are much higher quality than the standard box trailers, but not enough to justify it with this kind of problem and customer service...

A frame should never break this new.

-Dwight
morgandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #110
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Hello there.....just so a few people don't have to wear the T-Shirt
A.S.S.U.M.E

Airstream factory has been in constant contact with me! Randy has been very cooperative and what I need to fix my frame is on it's way.

As for getting to the bottom of the known issue with the 02/03 manufacturing issues and what changes were made to the 04's during their manufacturing Randy is working with the Engineers to get an answer to me - that is pending.

I have had several welders out as well as being in touch with CanAM Andy T to provide me with advice on whether I can move her to a close by location to reduce my costs.

I feel more than comfortable with the information I have been provided to drop my psi put the 4-ways on and take it 10Klm down the road to a reputable welder to weld the Bracing/Stiffener kit that was used on the 02-03 frames.

The only part that I am doing to reduce labour costs is to remove the quarter panels under the trailer for easy access for welding. They are corroded and need replacing anyway. And has not been an overly difficult job as 75% of the rivets have come loose anyway.

My Parts are sitting in Concord at the moment hung up during the Sun/Mon shut down for our Civic Holiday. As soon as they arrive at my Dad's place I will call my welder and hopefully she will be booked in this coming Thurs/ Frid.

Once the frame is fixed then I will going one step further and doing maintenance on the rusty frame - which is surface rust and sanding off the corrosion on the tanks, replacing any parts of the underbelly skin - removing the old pink insulation and replacing with foam, replacing some of the pipe hangers and such with rusted out screws. Get some por-15 in and treat the exposed frame. I need several tubes of the stuff they use to seal up the holes and crevices ?? (what is this stuff called anyone?).

From there she will be better than new underneath.

As for the inside - I will repair the bent L-seating, remove the linoleum flooring and install new flooring, and give once again another fix to the side panel between the bathroom and galley. Another tel tail sign of frame issues - apparently. I'm not removing the entire contents to do the floor - that is why they made trim.

As for customer relations relating to other 04 owners - I have some suggestions that I will make to Airstream upon receiving an answer regarding changes made to the 04 frames.

Sort of along the lines of - awareness and safety.

Gentlemen - there will be no helicopters, new frames issued or replacement of product I can assure you of that. while of course in a perfect economic prosperous world that might be a luxury - but I have to factor in (common sense) that my trailer does have a certain degree of wear and tear, and exposed to a certain degree of environmental elements.

None of course that warrants this type of break and so prematurely.

Airstream IS assisting me financially.

The key on a case by case basis is strictly between that customer and the manufacturer. What I may be accepting, as a solution, is my choice and may not meet others expectations. To follow others expectations and go about this in a manner I can assure you that I will be sitting here with a broken frame till the cows come home.

And this lady is going on a HUGE road trip....I haves made my decision to change my life radically and I am moving to Vancouver Island - and doing some serious traveling with this baby of mine. So I am just really glad that all this has been discovered BEFORE I just pulled out of here with a set of new brakes....and that IS my silver lining folks....

I will not have any further issues with my frame once it receives the appropriate engineered fixes. That makes me extremely happy and I will feel perfectly safe bouncing down the pathetic interstates - ha no maybe there is where all the verbal efforts should go - to the road works departments - lord knows our potholes up here can break a transport truck in half Actually the have disappeared into such holes if History is accurate

Sorry I did not get back sooner - but I did not have anything else new till the parts were on their way.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #111
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Dwight, this frame problem is particular to the 22' trailer. There are other trailers with known problems—for ex., some long trailers (30' and up) made in the early '00's seem to be experiencing front end separation. Some smaller ones from the same era had OSB subfloors. '70's trailers were known for some problems including rear end separation. A 20 year old trailer may have pealing clear coat. I am not very exact about this because I can't remember it all, but there are a lot of trailers that are not having catastrophic problems.

A well maintained fairly new trailer could be a good choice. Note that GT' is getting help from Airstream. It is not a really big company and can't send helicopters although there have been times I wished they had. RV's are not made to the standards of cars and trucks, and though that is regrettable, you will find problems all over, though there are better rated brands, there are not a lot of them.

Don't give up the dream yet, research more and maybe you'll find the one that fits your needs.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #112
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
GT',

Glad to see things are moving along and surely you'll have a lot better trailer when this is over.

It can't be as much a test as moving, and that's quite a change. You'll end up in a very nice and cosmopolitan city with a fixed up trailer and another version of you. Quite an adventure.

Gene
Old 08-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Very glad to hear things are sorting out for you. We were away at some vintage trailer events when you posted so apologize for the late reply.

We know the lure of the West Coast having done the trip almost 25 years ago with seldom a regret. We miss old friends and family, but not much else. Weather wise though it is a shock with the much higher rain content but it is well worth it with the early spring, late fall, mild winter and lovely rest of the year. We can use another Airstreamer on the wet coast.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #114
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
Rocky Mount , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1963 View Post
I will not have any further issues with my frame once it receives the appropriate engineered fixes.

Sorry I did not get back sooner - but I did not have anything else new till the parts were on their way.
Pardon me for intruding here but I am somewhat curious about the rest of the story here.

Has this frame received the appropriate engineered fixes?
Is a local welder applying the fixes?
Is an Airstream Authorized Service Center applying the fixes?
Is this frame repair finalized?
What was the outcome?
Are you satisfied?
Are you planning on posting any additional photos of the repair or repair process?

I realize you must be very busy with moving.

I assume (No t-shirt thank you) you are going to move after the frame repair.

I hope all will work out okay for you. God bless you.

-
Dennis
dboehmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #115
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
.........Pardon me for intruding here but I am somewhat curious about the rest of the story here......

Has this frame received the appropriate engineered fixes?
Yes it has August 7

Is a local welder applying the fixes?

Yes I went with a local welder to reduce costs as much as I could and to have less risk in taking the trailer on the highway

Is an Airstream Authorized Service Center applying the fixes?
NO - closest one is 6 hours away.

Is this frame repair finalized?
[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Yes it is and will be better than new - ha that is an understatement. I am confident with the welded braces and gussets supplied by Airstream and the welder was more than qualified to do the welding as per Service Bulletin #133 also instructed by the Airstream Service department.[/COLOR]

What was the outcome?

[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Two bracing mounts were welded behind the rear wheel and 8 of the 11 gusset (outrigger) supports were welded. The three in the front of the trailer were not installed at this time due to time and financial constraints. It is a lot of work to remove the under belly aluminum. I had advice from Andy Thomson that in all likelihood the front three outriggers would not be affected. I will look at having them welded during the winter when I have more time to remove the belly panels in the front.[/COLOR]

Are you satisfied?

[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]I am more than satisfied. Randy at the Airstream factory has been most gracious, helpful and supportive of this unfortunate situation. He was prompt courteous and we have settled the monitory amount such that I have not been out of pocket![/COLOR]

Are you planning on posting any additional photos of the repair or repair process?

[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]I only have a few crappy photo's taken with my iphone, when I returned with the trailer it was pouring with rain - the underside was covered in a chalk gravel mess from the camp road. Also the last thing I was going to do was to take my wheel off my baby - as I have taken them off at least a dozen time, doing brakes and removing the panels in the back ready for the welding job to be done - to save on labour costs. They needed replacing anyway as they were corroded. Thus I could not get my big camera in between the wheels to shoot the brace properly - but have posted what I took anyway.[/COLOR]
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0766.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	315.2 KB
ID:	167523

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0774.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	354.7 KB
ID:	167524

[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]PS you can never judge rust by a photo by the way - this shows rust from over night after them getting wet.

I am in the process of reinstalling the rear panels and sanding down exposed frame and spraying on a good coat of "Rock Guard" to protect from road salt. I was thinking of por-15 but for the hassle and expense Rock Guard does just as good at retarding rust and protecting against road rocks.

I realize you must be very busy with moving.

I have had recent developments in my freelance contract that has been renewed which I am thrilled about - however that foregoes my plan of moving out west. I will need to stay on the east coast during the winter so that I have closer more economical flight/drive access throughout the winter.

So I am back to my original plan of over wintering in Charleston SC. I have found an RV mobile home park - small family park just outside of Charleston that will accept my little trailer until I wish to upgrade in the future to a more permanent type of park model. I have also confirmed the site I am on here in Stirling for next year - so will stick it out in the 22' to regain my financial footing.

Sorry I have not got back sooner - my contract has me working incredible hours these last 3 weeks. We launch the new History Moments Series September 29th. It has been a lot of fun, but lots of comp time in post and research as well as onsite shooting.[/COLOR]

I assume (No t-shirt thank you) you are going to move after the frame repair.

[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Ha - nope - might come up with one after this - I am taking her out for a 2200 run some time in October to Charleston and back to complete my contract for this season, and hope to head back down for the rest of the winter late November early December.

Just in the short 10KL at 40 mph in and then 80 mph return I noticed a big difference - can't explain it - but women have an uncanny ability to FEEL things when they tow (or at least I do) she seemed to "track" better for lack of a better description. She rides nice and high in the back too. Guess I could say I am not dragging my ASS around anymore.[/COLOR]
Old 09-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #116
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
All great news. Especially the job situation. Charleston is a very pretty place.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #117
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Sounds like it is all coming together. Charleston is one of our favorite places. This must have to do with History Moments? Is this for Canadian TV? It'll probably get here someday. Can you tell us more about that?

By the way, some men can actually feel things too.

Gene
Old 09-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #118
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi Gene;

I work for Peter Lockyer, who was a Documentary Producer for CBC ottawa for a long career. He retired, and returned to his home town of Picton, Ontario to look after his ailing father.

He became involved with the care of the local heritage cemetery and took a keen interest in the loyalist history of the area. He had done his University Thesis on the Canning Industry in the late 1700 - 1800's and I suppose his calling was local history.

He started his company History Lives Here Inc. over 10 years ago.

I was doing a story on diabetes and had done a few micro - documentaries on Peter's experience going through the Edmonton Protocol. I needed a local angle for my entry to the local School Newspaper qnetnews.ca (if you search my name sharonkallaste you can pick up on the some of my school work submitted.

I was following the history of Dr. Collip - one of the four medical Dr.'s that invented Insulin. I stumbled across the Belleville diabetes office and set up a meeting to meet this fellow Dr. Pearce who had spent 3 years creating a personal archive on Dr. Collip - WHY - because he Dr. Collip was born in Belleville and Dr. Pearce wants to memorialize him - Insulin is one of the most important medical break throughs of our time. - Insulin has saved and continues to save billions of lives around the world.

The Edmonton Protocol is an extension of the work performed back in the 1900's.

A secretary at the diabetes office knew Peter Lockyer, and when she saw my work and how I loved history she asked me if she could pass on my business card.

Two weeks later I had a call from Peter, interested in two stories I was working on. I was coming up to the end of my last term in Photojournalism and needed to find an internship with a media specialist - so not waisting an super opportunity I so much as asked to work with him and he said Yes. Kept me on for the History Moments Series 2012 and I am now the History Moments Project Manager - our 2012 series launches September 29th and we start working on the 2013 series right away in October.

I am responsible for sponsorship recruitment, research providing Peter with a full information digest in which he extrapolates the Magazined article and writes the scripts to the 2 minute History Moment (micro documentaries). I also of course shoot contextual still photographs as well as video, archival sites, people, places and artifacts to use in various videos for the series.

I am so very lucky to have completed my Photojournalism Associates Degree and walk straight into the area of the industry that I wanted to go into - Documentary work.

Peter Lockyer is a fantastic gentleman to work with. History is an amazing place to soak yourself into. This area here of course was pinnacle to the development of Canada.

Of course being an British Immigrant I take a great interest in the Loyalism of the area.

I have not arranged anything as yet with any type of Connection from Charleston - but I want to spend the winter researching the "Black Loyalists" that fled the south to Canada and the whole story behind the south and slavery.

I had an amazing opportunity this summer to shoot the War of 1812 Reenactment that took place off the shores of Bath Ontario - known as the "Flight of the St. George. Peter is hoping to secure a contract for a documentary of the shooting we did Canada Day Weekend. Only three media were granted to be aboard the ships - he wanted stills along with video - so I was taken aboard as the still shooter. It was a very difficult shoot to capture the enactment without "civilization" in the frame Oh lord what a shoot - five hours in sweltering heat and we had to wear period costume to boot!!

You can see some sample of his previous History Moment Series on his site historyliveshere.ca

Although short they are really well done.

I am thrilled with what I am doing and hope that over the next year my hours will increase - we are expanding into new territories creating new series in counties in the area. There is no shortage of historical events, activities and people of significance - it is an endless source of interesting information.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:26 AM   #119
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Sharon, Sounds wonderful. So glad everything is coming together. Hope to see you soon..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #120
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Sharon, sounds great. Job and Airsteam are coming together. Loyalists are called Tories by US historians. I taught history decades ago and the US revolution was a fascinating part of my studies. The War of 1812 was depressing for the US and few here know what a beating we took from Canadians. Americans did not understand why Upper and Lower Canada didn't want to be part of the US and attacked with poor organization and intelligence. News of Canada is still hard to come by here and I regret that.

Gene