Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2008, 11:18 AM   #81
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Nyloboard Delivered & Air Compressor

Nyloboard 4' x 8' x 3/4" arrived by Dayton Freight today. It's on a pallet, lying flat on my driveway. The shipping weight is marked 161#. How much of that is pallet? It has the fiberglass layer on both sides, making moot the choice of Prime vs Choice. Pallet and all will be useful, because I need to build a little shed for our pool pump this summer, now I have plenty of very costly framing material.

We have a 30% chance of rain today, but I'm not worried -- it's Nyloboard! I'll post some pictures and maybe a link to a little video on my photo site when I get back home later.

And, I picked up a 17 gal. upright air compressor at Sears. I know it will be great for the riveting, but not sure about the metal shears. Good thing about Sears, they will exchange it if it doesn't hold out well for the shearing. I guess any place would do the same, but this price was the best I could find for the comparable equipment locally for ease of exchanging, if necessary.

P.S. Maui was wonderful. I'm starting to cross the hobby/obsession line. All the way out from Phoenix to Maui I doodled floor plans. On the red-eye back to Phoenix, I merely thought about doodling floor plans, so I guess it's not full-blown obsession yet. That's another thread.

Anne
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:10 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
IndyAnne:

Good luck with the nyloboard. So far it is working well for me. the jury will be out until I get this rig up and running. I think it is going work well. I tiled my bathroom floor so you can't even tell where the old ends and new begins.

SIU Bound

Brian
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:26 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAnne
Nyloboard 4' x 8' x 3/4" arrived by Dayton Freight today. It's on a pallet, lying flat on my driveway. The shipping weight is marked 161#. How much of that is pallet? It has the fiberglass layer on both sides, making moot the choice of Prime vs Choice. Pallet and all will be useful, because I need to build a little shed for our pool pump this summer, now I have plenty of very costly framing material.

We have a 30% chance of rain today, but I'm not worried -- it's Nyloboard! I'll post some pictures and maybe a link to a little video on my photo site when I get back home later.

And, I picked up a 17 gal. upright air compressor at Sears. I know it will be great for the riveting, but not sure about the metal shears. Good thing about Sears, they will exchange it if it doesn't hold out well for the shearing. I guess any place would do the same, but this price was the best I could find for the comparable equipment locally for ease of exchanging, if necessary.

P.S. Maui was wonderful. I'm starting to cross the hobby/obsession line. All the way out from Phoenix to Maui I doodled floor plans. On the red-eye back to Phoenix, I merely thought about doodling floor plans, so I guess it's not full-blown obsession yet. That's another thread.

Anne
Anne,

I live in Portland, Oregon but I telecommute to a company in Tempe, AZ. On one of the last trips that I made to Phoenix I spent both directions sketching up all sorts of details for how I am intending to put my Airstream back together.

I don't think you will have any problems with shears with your compressor but I would like to hear how it goes. I still want to buy a pair of shears and I have been debating whether to buy electric ones or air powered. Have you bought your shears yet? Where did you get yours? I think that pretty much any tool that does not use a continuous large volume flow of air will work just fine.

If you have not yet bought a rivet gun I can recommend one like what I bought at Harbor Freight.

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Do you have a local Harbor Freight store? If you do you might want to check the online price for anything you buy and call the store before you go to see if the item is in stock. If the store price happens to be higher you can take in the online print out and they will typically honor the online price.

Malcolm
Old 05-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #84
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I am anxiously awaiting my samples.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:24 PM   #85
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Malcolm, thanks very much for your reply on the shears. I've sent a PM to say, basically, that I am leaning toward the air shears because the electric one is so heavy. I think if the compressor will handle the air flow, the fatigue factor will be less than with electric. I'll follow up more on the shears on my renovation thread.

Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium
Anne,

I live in Portland, Oregon but I telecommute to a company in Tempe, AZ. On one of the last trips that I made to Phoenix I spent both directions sketching up all sorts of details for how I am intending to put my Airstream back together.

I don't think you will have any problems with shears with your compressor but I would like to hear how it goes. I still want to buy a pair of shears and I have been debating whether to buy electric ones or air powered. Have you bought your shears yet? Where did you get yours? I think that pretty much any tool that does not use a continuous large volume flow of air will work just fine.

If you have not yet bought a rivet gun I can recommend one like what I bought at Harbor Freight.

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Do you have a local Harbor Freight store? If you do you might want to check the online price for anything you buy and call the store before you go to see if the item is in stock. If the store price happens to be higher you can take in the online print out and they will typically honor the online price.

Malcolm
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:29 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Try looking at air-powered nibblers. They don't seem to deform the sheet metal like some sheers can.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:42 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Shears vs. Nibblers...

Out of curiosity I took a look at Harbor Freight shears and nibblers. The shears are rated at 4 CFM of air while the nibblers are rated at a whopping 17.5 CFM of air. I would guess this is because the nibbler runs continuously more like a saw would while the shear runs on a more part time basis. For my compressor I know that I would have to stick with the shears just because of the air flow requirement.

Interestingly there may be some printing issues in the Harbor Freight catalog. The pistol grip shears are the ones that are rated at 4 CFM while the straight shears are rated at 16 CFM. So which one is right?

Malcolm
Old 05-21-2008, 03:20 PM   #88
3 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Nyloboard and compressors...I'm ready! Uwe, let me know how that sample holds up under your scrutiny.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tools.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	60792  
Ambie '64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #89
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambie '64
Nyloboard and compressors...I'm ready! Uwe, let me know how that sample holds up under your scrutiny.
Well, funny you asked...I just got a quote from them, looks like about $ 693 for one kind, and $639 for another kind of 3/4 Nyloboard. The size requested was 8ftX19ft for a Flying Cloud. I don't even know if that would be the right size, I eyeballed it for the quote only.
$ 4.56 per square foot.
Depending on the freight charge, this might just work. But with fuel being so high, I am afraid that the freight charge might blow the deal out of the water.

I am supposed to get a freight quote next week.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:44 AM   #90
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Uwe:

Nyloboard will send you samples for free so you can compare.

SIU Bound
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:56 AM   #91
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambie '64
I received the samples, and they look very nice, feel nice and will be cut and drilled into tody to see how the material compares to Marine ply.

I received a bare sample, and one with fiberglass surfaces.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:03 AM   #92
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
I am supposed to get a freight quote next week.
I got the freight quote.....

Hi Uwe,
This is the information I just received from shipping and receiving. I know you are trying to use one piece and that will be awesome! Another alternative would be to use 4x8 sheets. Thanks, ~Kimberly

This board 3/4”x8’x19’ will weigh about 775 lbs and will be hard to handle without a pallet, freight companies are saying it needs to go on a flat bed
Old Dominion pup truck quote $3100.06
Trans – National quote for flat bed $2500.00

That's for the one piece.

For a pallet with 5ea. 3/4 x 4x8 is the following:

Uwe,
Much better!
Old Dominion quote for one pallet weighing 475 lbs
Quote $265.44

So, while the freight for a pallet of sheets is surprisingly reasonable, the one piece floor shipping is completely out of the question. Heck, I could go from CA to GA and get it for that price...
Old 05-30-2008, 12:03 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Area63
I got the freight quote.....

This board 3/4”x8’x19’ will weigh about 775 lbs...

For a pallet with 5ea. 3/4 x 4x8... weighing 475 lbs
Something is wrong with Kimberly's math if 19LF weighs 300lbs more than 20LF.

I would think you could do just as well with 4X8 sheets since you will have the side drops to use a splines at the joints. Just use the fiberglass faced product and epoxy the lap joints together. This would provide a stronger and stiffer floor than the single sheet.

I can't wait to hear the results of the "destructive" testing.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:46 PM   #94
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I'd double check with Old Dominion on the freight quote. It will take two pallet spaces rather than just one pallet.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:51 AM   #95
1 Rivet Member

1960 Caravel
Currently Looking...
Pewaukee , Wisconsin
I just bought 6 sheets of Nyloboard to replace the floor in my new 1958 overlander and I got it for $48 per sheet. I did however have to pay $180 to have it shipped to Wisconsin
Lee Brisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:59 AM   #96
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Wow it has really dropped in price. Maybe I should go out and find another trailer to work on. Ha. Ha.

My scrap left over nyloboard has been sitting out in the yard for 2 1/2 years and it has not changed at all. It is as hard and durable as the day I bought it. I use it to put plants on. It gets dirt and rain and has not warped or anything except change color from the dirt on it.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #97
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Did you use a floating floor or lino glue down?Does it machine like ply ie holding screws etc.
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:08 AM   #98
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Resistance is Futile...

thanks for bumping the thread.

I'm pretty sure the next Airstream in my future will be a renovation - not another new one. I really like the look of the new Serenity - but when the regular CCD version for 2010 lists at $73K - well it makes an $8K trailer(shell with good appliances and axles) and $40K of professional renovation seem reasonable does it not?

If Airstream was ready to make the subfloor of nyloboard, and certify the frame against rust and breaking for 5 years - I'd pay the price for a new one.... but as it is I want my last Airstream to be able to outlast me.

The new subfloor will definitely be nyloboard - as long as the people who have used it would vouch for it 2 or 3 years later. Comments please. And if I get a widebody, I wonder if they'll custom cut the sheets into 8.5 feet lengths?

And no I won't be doing the bulk of the work myself. Enough talent maybe, a place to do the work, no but could find one, enough time and enough focus to actually stay the course - Not gnna happen. Planning to call those nice guys outside of Afton VA to discuss the possibilities.

Paula
Old 02-24-2010, 10:24 AM   #99
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Brisk View Post
I just bought 6 sheets of Nyloboard to replace the floor in my new 1958 overlander and I got it for $48 per sheet. I did however have to pay $180 to have it shipped to Wisconsin
It does look like the pricing must have dropped quite a bit. This price is for 3/4" 4'x8' sheets?

Malcolm
Old 02-24-2010, 10:27 AM   #100
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I am curious about the expansion/contraction rate for the Nyloboard. I know UHMW plastic moves A LOT. How does the Nyloboard compare?
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nyloboard, plastic floor, specialty floor