Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2017, 12:54 PM   #1

1993 34' Excella
hockley , Texas
New to all this!

Hello,

I am new to the airstream world and am reaching out for advice. I was told: "A wise man (or woman) asks man", and to surround myself with people that are smarter than I. So here I am.

I just purchased a 34' 93 triple axle Excella. I have read through many of the "Shell ON" restoration threads and I have selected this as my option for the following reasons:

1. Frame is stelar minus some minor surface rust
2. axels just need to be greased, brakes are great, just need new tires

I have removed all of the cabinets, inner skin, and carpet.

There was a missing roof vent, so all of the water rushing in cause the subfloor to rot.

I have cut out most of the subfloor, cut off the elevator bolts, wood screws, and hold down bolts, but the wood still seems to be jammed in the channel. Any ideas?

I have to apologize in advance for my ignorance, but I am committed to learning and putting in the hard work. I have attached a picture.

Cheers,
Cait
Cowgirl85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Welcome to the forums. We've always found the folks here to be very helpful, so we're sure you'll get some experienced answers.

Based on your decision to leave the shell on (and your picture not making it into your post), we assume you're replacing a section or two of the floor (not the whole subfloor.) We've restored two Airstreams, but both were earlier models than yours. (We haven't done a 90's trailer.) We have done both with the shell on and both required floor section replacement. First, check that you haven't missed any bolts or screws in the affected area. When you find one, there's probably still another one there someplace. Our '64 was tougher because a large rear section under the bath needed replaced and it was stuck fast. We had to cut, chisel and pry under the C channel to get the wood out in pieces. The '68 was much more forgiving and we pulled the sections out after only two or three rechecks for fasteners. If helpful, our '64 is documented at 64airstream.com and the '68 is documented here at https://www.airforums.com/forums/f39...er-155180.html , (but probably without subfloor pictures.)

Good luck and enjoy your project,
Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the forums!

So, yes, the wood is jammed under/inthe base of the wall, you will have to get in there with a screw driver, pry bar, etc., and pry it out. Note also, that there is a bolt that starts under the outside end of the outrigger, comes up through that plywood that is jammed under the wall, and up through the extrusion that forms the base of the wall. You will need to remove these bolts as well. This leads to the next issue, which is that to get access to the bottom end of the bolt, you will have to remove the banana wraps and release the outside edges of the belly pan.

Once the above-mentioned bolts have been removed, there is not much holding your shell to the frame (possibly a "hold down" plate at the front). Things can get dicey here, as a strong wind might very well push your shell right off your frame. Be sure to anchor it. Beware also, that if you get too forceful trying to get your new subfloor into that channel under the wall, that you might push the wall off of the outrigger and have a disaster in the making.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:41 PM   #4

1993 34' Excella
hockley , Texas
Smile Thanks!

It is so amazing to have such an amazing support system! Thank you both for the tips. I doubt it will be the last time (today) I reach out for advice. Lol
Cowgirl85 is offline   Reply With Quote