Old 01-17-2017, 04:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Ringoes , New Jersey
New floor options, removing carpet

So what is the "best " choice, floating or glue down, vinyl or laminate? what does Airstream use today? Do I need to worry about winter temps below freezing affecting the flooring ? I am looking for durable and long lasting looking new. Easy to clean /stain resistant a plus. Thanks John

moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:56 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Don't glue it down. I'm dealing with that now from a previous owner. It'll take a lot more money to replace in the future. People use both laminate and vinyl with pros/cons to both. Use a Google search similar to "vinyl flooring airforums" and "laminate flooring airforums" to turn up good reading material.

LVT, or Luxury Vinyl Tile, in commercial-grade options, seems to be one of the best choices for replacement. It's what we'll almost certainly end up with. That's after we deal with the mess that the glue down vinyl has created. Google that as well to get an idea of choices. You'll find a commercial flooring installer that's a forum member that has good advice on those older threads.

Dave

DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Ringoes , New Jersey
ok

thanks for your input. I looked at some samples yesterday. I'm partial to one already. it would be a click together laminate, floating.
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
Click lock floating is the way to go. Choose whatever material you like best: wood, vinyl, laminate, etc. I have used oak and cork and was happy with both.
BambiTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:12 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

We re-floored our MH with LVT. Very happy with the results. Only caution might be is that this increases the weight of the rig. To be on the safe side you might factor this in. LVT is not light.
comprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:23 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Newport , Arkansas
thinking of replacing my original vinyl soon in my 25 ' 2005 CCD , since it's beginning to pull away from the sides near the door. does anyone know off hand approximate weight difference in sheet vinyl and solid vinyl planks? I realize it varies by manufacturer, just wondering about how much weight it would add...
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
New floor options, removing carpet

We installed plyboo - engineered bamboo flooring. Rock solid. Click lock, stapled and glued down. Has not budged, expanded, contracted despite a range of -10 degrees F to +100 degrees F here in Colorado.

High end look and a very very hard surface.

I think what is "best" will depend on your needs, budget and how much labor you want to throw at the problem or outsource to a skilled installer.

The original vinyl worked well for us, but after 8 years it started to contract, pull away from the sides and wrinkle, so time to change while we were doing a bunch of other uplifts.......

This was in a 2008 25SS international with a GVWR of 7,300lb. The flooring added about 500 lbs in my estimation. We are still well under GVWR.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0546.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	278369  
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:05 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lexington , Kentucky
Floor re-do with commercial carpet

We were in Lowes the other day seeing what they had. I saw some commercial grade (many colors and "weave") carpet that looked promising! (it's special order).
Here's the idea:
They have it in 8 ft widths... get the type that's a little stiff.
Buy enough length, lay it out and trim around walls to 1/4" small around the perimeter using scissors. Take it to a local auto carpet business and let them sew a "binder" of a similar color around the edges. The 1/4" should permit space for expansion and snugness enough for a "floating" floor cover.
Vacuum as needed but can take up periodically to lay over a fence to beat gently with a broom or even wash and let dry good before laying it back in the camper?

The Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote