Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Powell Butte , Oregon
new body lift off method...easier

I needed to lift off the bidy of my 68 International 30ft but didn't like the idea of using bottle jacks from the inside. All that mass (weight isn't a problem) sitting on a couple of jacks didn't look too safe to me plus the floor was too far gone. There must be some way to do it from outside of the unit and there is. Come-a-longs yes four of them. Each tool has a rating of 2000 lb to 3000 lb so in theory four should be able to lift a full size car off the ground assuming that the upper end, in this case my garage ceiling, can handle the weight. I don't think I'll ever try the car lift off, that's pushing the limit of the tool too far. But I estimate the weight of my bare shell at about 1000lb one half the rating of each come-a-long.

You still have to brace the inside and remove all the 1/4 inch bolts holding the shell to the floor, I missed one and nothing moved at first. Step number two is to raise the shell with a pry bar until it is about 3 inches off the floor, block with wood and then slide in a 2x2x.120 square tubing with a loop welded to each end to attach the come-along. I c clamped the steel tubing to the wood bracing and everything was ready for lift off.

It's just a matter of walking aroung the trailer and pulling a few clicks on each come-a-long and the shell raises evenly and with very little effort. Once the shell is high enough you pull the old frame away and back in the new one. My new frame was built before I seperated the shell from the old frame but you could always lower it down on some saw horses.

Potential problems...The garage must be long enough, wide enough and high enough for the size of your trailer. My shop ceiling is 12 ft high. The ceiling must be able to support 250 pounds from each come-a-long attachment point. I had to add some 2x6 supports to my ceiling just to be safe.

Best part. You are outside the shell for all but the initial 3 inches of lift, you can step back and look at what you are doing.

Worst part...finding enough neighbors with come-a-longs. All four worked a little differently especially on the coming down part.

For those of you that used the other method what are your thoughts on this method?
sawdawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Good one! Now send pictures.....as you know, we like 'em.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:16 AM   #3
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
one come along through the center hatch would be even more simple and require no pry bar or walk around to do a single click at a time The shell weight is half what you estimated BTW. I have also found that doing it this way the bracing is not needed either. It can get even more simple...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Powell Butte , Oregon
frame off method

I didn't want to use the other method where you have the supports outside the body and have to slide the 2x4 support in and out every 6 inches. Plus I wanted to do it inside where there was no chance of the wind comming up and turning the thing over, although that wasn't too much of a chance because the shell was only off for about an hour. I had a new frame waiting in the wings. I guess if you had to rebuild the old frame you'd want to but the shell down on some supports while it was being worked on. You could though leave it hanging for an indifinate time. I braced the shell because I didn't want to take the chance of it buckling in the middle.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:00 AM   #5
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
all those concerns are valid and good to have. It is just that after doing it a few time one finds they are a lot less fragile than one originally thinks. Glad you made easy for yourself and it was a success. How about some photos?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
I saw a guy lift a Globetrooter by placing a padded 4X4 below the two roof vents and raise the shell with a pair of pullies. It as pretty cool to see the shell waving in nthe breeze.
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Powell Butte , Oregon
new lift off method

here are a few pictures of my lift off , at least I think so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060907.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	159777   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060915.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	366.7 KB
ID:	159778  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060919-001.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	159779  
Old 04-11-2014, 07:27 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Danielsville , Georgia
Yes it would be nice to do that inside a shop looks good and no worry about wind. I lifted mine today in 5-10 mph winds no problem till it was raised a couple of feet off the trailer. Once i braced it to the ground it will be fine I hope anyway.
JCPOTTERF is offline   Reply With Quote