Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
los angeles , California
New Axle for 1970 Caravel

Greetings:

I am a new Owner of a very well kept 1970 Caravel. Shortly after purchase I towed the AS up the coast of California from Los Angeles to Grant's Pass, OR.
No issues and it towed like a dream. I know it has original Axle and wheels.
Should I replace both just due to them being 42 years old? I have been reading the posts regarding Axle replacements and it appears not that involved ( I am a Contractor) so it becomes which axle to use. I have also read posts which indicate Inland RV is the place to obtain an axle and wheels. Is this a good source for an Angelino?

Best,

Tweezerlips
tweezerlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweezerlips View Post
Greetings:

I am a new Owner of a very well kept 1970 Caravel. Shortly after purchase I towed the AS up the coast of California from Los Angeles to Grant's Pass, OR.
Should I replace both just due to them being 42 years old? I have been reading the posts regarding Axle replacements and it appears not that involved ( I am a Contractor) so it becomes which axle to use. I have also read posts which indicate Inland RV is the place to obtain an axle and wheels. Is this a good source for an Angelino?

Best,

Tweezerlips
The original axle rating was 4000 pounds for your Airstream.

You can stay with that or kick it up to 4500, but no more.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweezerlips View Post
Greetings:

Best,

Tweezerlips
I just replace my axles on my 65. It is not hard to do, I did it all by myself (get a buddy trust me). There are several places to get axles Inland is one for sure. Uwe at Area 63 does alot of Dexters and is a great guy he is in Orange Ca. I ordered mine from Colin Hyde he is in New York area. Now without starting a huge debate on how big type of brakes etc, read as much as you can. Ask a lot of questions, and make your decision based on your needs. I made my decision to go with 3500 lb axles with 12" brakes. Now all I have to do is run brake line and install the actuator....
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel