Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2021, 05:48 PM   #1

1971 31' Sovereign
Crossett , Arkansas
Need info on a 31ft 1972 land yacht

I work construction and I pull a 89 prowler everywhere I go and it's getting old and isn't worth anything it still has a few years left in it so I bought this land yacht. I was unaware of potential frame problems until reading up the floor seems solid. I'm wandering if there is a way to inspect the frame without pulling the floor and or takeing out the cover plate underneath. I have noticed a little flex when standing on the bumper in the back any advice on any of this would be appreciated I really dont want to do a shell off restoration just need a good work shack that I can pull from job to job without worry
Inquisitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:11 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1987 34' Limited
Hantsport , NS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive View Post
I work construction and I pull a 89 prowler everywhere I go and it's getting old and isn't worth anything it still has a few years left in it so I bought this land yacht. I was unaware of potential frame problems until reading up the floor seems solid. I'm wandering if there is a way to inspect the frame without pulling the floor and or takeing out the cover plate underneath. I have noticed a little flex when standing on the bumper in the back any advice on any of this would be appreciated I really dont want to do a shell off restoration just need a good work shack that I can pull from job to job without worry
If you are seriously interested it's in your best interest to remove a piece of bellpan to inspect the frame and floor in the rear. Negotiate to return it to the way it was if the purchase doesn't materialize, perhaps even a deposit to cover the work by a contractor so the vendor is assured they won't be left with an incomplete trailer. I had a similar concern when looking at our 34'er and opted to dismiss the surgery in favor of assurances that all was good underneath, and a tendency to be attracted to a beautifully decorated interior. Oh what a toxic biohazard that bellypan and floor turned out to be, and included replacing 70% of the frame during a shell off. Some outriggers fell off with the bellypan material. Spend a little on your due diligence and save a ton later. Good luck!
Daytonacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
The bumper and trailer body might flex a bit, which is normal. But the bumper should not move seperately from the aluminum skin.

You watch while a second person bounces on the bumper. If you see the bumper move seperately from the aluminum skin just above the bumper, there is a problem.

Even if you do the bounce test, and do not see seperation, that will not be a guarantee that the frame is not rusted. The ONLY way is to look inside.
Old 10-23-2021, 10:19 AM   #4

1971 31' Sovereign
Crossett , Arkansas
Thanks for the info Unfortunately It does separate from the aluminum skin I work with steel all the time so working on the frame seems easy enuff now I guess my question is where do I start
Old 10-23-2021, 10:23 AM   #5

1971 31' Sovereign
Crossett , Arkansas
Also what will happen if I just leave it be and start pulling