Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Moisture Meter (cheap)

I have not seen much about moisture meters on the forum, other than references to them.

Today I was in Harbor Freight and found a "mini moisture meter" Item # 67143 for only $10, and not even on sale. It has probes to stick into wood or even concrete, and gives a % moisture readout. It also measures temp in C or F.

It looks to be a good tool for anyone evaluating floor moisture in a trailer under inspection, or in your own rig, when you think you might have a leak.

At any rate, for $10 I now own one.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
What do you think about its accuracy? Random, Ballpark, Decent, Precise?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The claim is < 30% +or- 2% and > 30% + or - 4%

I would have no idea how to confirm the accuracy as this is the first one I have ever even seen. As we all know HF things may be good, or not... LOL. But, it will be fun to play with.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Every Airstream owner (or shopper) should have a moisture test meter, and do a routine inspection quarterly. It is the only way to know if you have water under your vinyl floor from an unseen leak. Almost all floor rot conditions could be avoided, and they are very common.

We found a leak below the entrance door hinges from a hinge that had become slightly loose, and water was present under the vinyl but completely hidden.

This is the meter I like because it has a sturdy, sharp probe on a cord that allows you to poke through the vinyl around the edges of the interior and see if there's moisture. Also inexpensive.

Amazon.com: Sonin 50211 Rapitest 10% to 28% Pinless Analog Wood, Concrete, Plaster, Carpet, and More Moisture Meter: Home Improvement

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
If the two meters are the same accuracy, I would take the cheap one referenced by Idroba, rather than Dougs, as it is battery operated and probably would be used more than one that has to be plugged in.

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Every Airstream owner (or shopper) should have a moisture test meter, and do a routine inspection quarterly. It is the only way to know if you have water under your vinyl floor from an unseen leak. Almost all floor rot conditions could be avoided, and they are very common.

We found a leak below the entrance door hinges from a hinge that had become slightly loose, and water was present under the vinyl but completely hidden.

This is the meter I like because it has a sturdy, sharp probe on a cord that allows you to poke through the vinyl around the edges of the interior and see if there's moisture. Also inexpensive.

Amazon.com: Sonin 50211 Rapitest 10% to 28% Pinless Analog Wood, Concrete, Plaster, Carpet, and More Moisture Meter: Home Improvement

doug k

Hi, I agree, and disagree with Doug; Every Airstream owner should NOT have/need a moisture test meter.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Hi Bob, then I'll modify it; Every RV owner should have a moisture test meter.

masseyfarm, the Sonin is also battery operated. That cord is actually the probe, very handy to get in corners and still easily read the meter.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Ok Doug I see that now when I look close.

I have a moisture alarm at the HWT in my basement as the tank is out of way from easy inspection. It works great if you are home to hear the alarm.

The same could be installed on each corner of a RV, but with all the leaks it might get noisy.

Dave

Quote:

masseyfarm, the Sonin is also battery operated. That cord is actually the probe, very handy to get in corners and still easily read the meter.

doug k
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:

doug k
Hi, what I meant was that since RV's shouldn't leak, [even though they do] you shouldn't need a moisture meter. I don't need one for my car.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote