Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2006, 08:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
jemison , Alabama
man this is a big job!

I didn't realize what I was in for when I baught my 74 31' airstream. Wow. Luckily I am in love with it and I have two months to dedicate to finishing the job. I am to the point now where everything has been removed from the interior and I am ready to take the floors out. I know I need to remove the belly pan. I don't know how just yet but thank god for this site because I have the sources to figure it out! I am taking the flooring out basicaly because I want to inspect the frame. I have a pretty bad feeling about what it may look like. Taking the shell off the frame sounds like a nightmare and I don't think I can do it. So my question is, what can I do to fix up the frame before I put the floors back in? I was thinking I would just power sand all of the rust off the whatever frame I can access and then....I don't know. What should I do to protect it from more rust? Also, do I have to jack up the thing to remove the belly pan? I am very skinny so I have room to work with down there as long as the belly pan can be removed without jacks. Lt me know what you think. Thanks a million!
rama777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 08:19 PM   #2
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
You may wish to save some work and leave the floors and drop the pans.

Wire brush and coat with POR-15, remove all insulation.

What Im doing is putting foil insulation on top of the floor.

to block it up see pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1_blocked up (Medium).jpg
Views:	134
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	26416  

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
What to do...

This forum has great ideas, help, and whatever you need! I am impressed you are tackling such a big job in 2 months! Good luck! We have a tiny trailer compared to you.... but my hubby has a good thread with lots of pictures. Many items might be the same for you, so you might want to review it. It is long....get a cup of coffee and go to it!

I would recommend looking under the belly pan before you remove the flooring. If the flooring is solid... you might get away without taking the shell off...depends on what you want to do.

Anyway, good luck on your project and here is the thread I mentioned:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...mbi-17925.html

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote