Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
Augie R.

1960 22' Safari
carlsbad , California
Major Floor prob. not so bad..

Hi there folks,
Ok so I cleaned up the mess and took a look around to see what I'm really getting into. What I found was not as bad as i thought. Granted there are some parts of the frame that have been weakend by the rust but it seems that the worst of it is toward the rear of the AS, the front looks to be fine except over the steps but that's a quick repair. So I'm hauling it to my siter house for driveway repair time. I have been looking around at all the floor repair posting and you guys have made it look easy and made it look insanely hard. I think I'm taking the in between road, the only thing I'm worried about is not being able to find the channel for over the plywood. I saw it on a web-site but it's like 6 weeks to deliver...I'll just keep looking and in the meantime get to work Thanks to everyone for helping out i really apreciate it....here are some more pics for yah
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frame rot13.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	73537   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame rot15.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	281.7 KB
ID:	73538  

Click image for larger version

Name:	gutted front end floor.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	73539   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame rot8.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	73540  

augier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:11 PM   #2

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by augier View Post
So I'm hauling it to my siter house for driveway repair time.
Hi Augier

I would be very careful moving the trailer anywhere with the floor removed. The floor is an integral part of the monocoque construction. I know this to be true on my 75 Tradewind as I have some of the floor out right now. Your 60's model may differ...

-T

Torii is offline   Reply With Quote