Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2007, 07:24 PM   #1
Gold Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Fuquay , North Carolina
Lower-end Replacement Help

Thinking about trying to find a company or somebody to help speed up the restoration of my 63overlander... I would like to find sombody to pop the top off of my overlander and repair the floor, bellypan, and frame then set the top back on. I know i could do it myself but, time is something i'm short on and the room to do it; if i could get over this step the rest would flow as time allowed...

I'm in NC and if anybody could recommend someone close to home i would appreciate it..

Thanks
todd

(why do i have to press 1 for english??)
tgregory13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Todd,

I'm looking to do this on my own trailer. It is a lot of work. Your best bet may be to find a fellow Airstreamer in your area who has done this already and would be willing to do it for hire. I think to find a shop to do this, you're going to be looking at mondo dollars. I may be wrong, but the labor charges would probably be enough to drive you to Jackson Center to buy a new one.

Best of luck. If I get mine done before you do your's, I'll post my tribulations
Old 01-03-2007, 05:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Todd, have you talked to the folks up at Outofdoorsmart ? They're not that far away from you and might have an idea of who to call if they don't have the time. Nice folks on the parts counter but that's the extent of my experience with them.
You could also give DonMar Rv a call down here in SC. Talk to Don or Mary.
Let us all know what you find out as this is a valuable thread to those needing extensive surgury.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:14 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Cullowhee , North Carolina
there is help not too far away!!!

Todd, et al.,

Our '70 Safari rear end was dragging the ground from frame rust under the rear bath. I too did not have the time or shop resources to do the job right. Searching the 'net last summer and fall, I discovered Welcome To*Airstream & RV Restoration in North Georgia. After looking at his work pages and talking on the phone, he was the one. We were dragging the rear bumper by the time we got the AS to his home in Dalton, GA. About a 5 hour run from Asheville, NC.

Gary is just about as down-home in N. Georgia as you can get. He is not cheap, but he is committed to doing a good clean job. He works hard and only does one project at a time. His experience in working with AS is what sold me on him.

Ours is the Safari pages at airstream safari .

We brought her home just before Christmas, and I've been finishing the water system, re-laying carpet, putting the bed frames back in, chasing leaks, (you know, doing the fun stuff) and hope to roll in about a week.

Good luck,
David

"Life is not about finding yourself.
Life is about creating yourself."G B Shaw
Dark Cove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:58 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
1960 24' Tradewind
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Norwich , New York
contact CHEVY AVE. RESTORATIONS 607-334-4253 in norwich NY.we specialize in airstreams. we do restorations from the ground up or repairs too. we also offer pick up and delivery. we also restore vintage tow vehicles . watch for our web site coming soon.we are working on one for one of the VAP stars right now, thanks for everything ROB.
stanton66 is offline   Reply With Quote