Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Seattle (Auburn), WA , I still love my dirty water and my Red Sox-originally from Boston!
Send a message via AIM to SUEHOWIE Send a message via Yahoo to SUEHOWIE
Looks Like I Will be Doing It Too....

The more I tear out in my recently acquired 1957 Overlander, the more work I realize will need to be done, and I question how much I will be able to save that's original.

I did the initial cleaning not too long ago, and started tearing things out. The disgusting linoleum tiles started to pop up on their own, so I started to move the process along. I had a feeling I would be doing at least a partial subfloor, but the more I clean out, the more I realize I will have to completely remove the subfloor (frame on, I do not have the space to do it off), POR 15 everything, and see what else needs to be cleaned. It's rotted right down to the insulation...ewww. Check out what I've found so far:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0728.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	70730   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0731.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	70731  

Name:	DSCN0730.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	70732   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0760.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	70733  

SUEHOWIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:50 PM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
it will get worse unfortunately... sorry.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:58 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
BIG JOB! BIG JOB!! BIG JOB!!! Did I say BIG JOB!!!!
O but so much fun.
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
But think what you will have when you are done. You have a lot of work to do but it will be worth it.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
and all the great friends you will make during the whole process.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
........and I just ran into a '57 Overlander that is just waiting for me. I have almost completed (of course I know that I will never be finished) with my '61 Safari.
Do I really want to go through this again?????
I think that ".....all the great friends....." will run like hell when they hear I'm about to do this again. Oh well, I was born without friends (you have to make those), I guess I can start over.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:09 PM   #7
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
when your done

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
But think what you will have when you are done. You have a lot of work to do but it will be worth it.
When your done?
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Your in for a lot of fun,take your take your time and enjoy.Post lots of pictures.
Doug

https://tinman54.blogspot.com/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:12 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Seattle (Auburn), WA , I still love my dirty water and my Red Sox-originally from Boston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by samb View Post
........and I just ran into a '57 Overlander that is just waiting for me. I have almost completed (of course I know that I will never be finished) with my '61 Safari.
Do I really want to go through this again?????
I think that ".....all the great friends....." will run like hell when they hear I'm about to do this again. Oh well, I was born without friends (you have to make those), I guess I can start over.
Sam
Hehe. You know, Oregon is just a hop skip and a jump (a 2 hour one, but still...) from where I am...and another 57 Overlander??Wow...
Old 11-03-2008, 09:24 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty3TW4US View Post
BIG JOB! BIG JOB!! BIG JOB!!! Did I say BIG JOB!!!!
O but so much fun.
Yes, I agree...I know lots of work. There is more important stuff missing than not (no hot water heater), then there is lots of original stuff I want to try to save like the cabinets...and the shower/tub deal...but I know lots and lots of work ahead of me.

This is my first trailer. I know they are like tattoos-rather addicting once you get your first one. I should know about the tattoo deal-I have 7 and am not done yet, including a backpiece that is about 14 hours so far (a huge pheonix, I lost 125 pounds or so), a thigh piece on my left thigh that was about 4 hours-and I slept thru that one! It's been a long time since I've done a lot of the stuff I plan on doing, but I guess it's like riding a bike-it will come back as I do it, plus I have always been pretty handy AND crafty. My concerns are the big stuff-redoing the electrical, propane, and fresh water system. I suppose I can figure out the fresh water system-and am seriously considering a biolet just to avoid having to do dump stations and such *EWWWWW* lol. I have a friend who is an electrician coming to do the electrical work for me. I need to find someone who can do the propane when the time comes. The smaller stuff I can handle myself. I am really looking forward to all of it.

the attention factor in the end will make it all worth it...all the "wows" and stares. Love it.

By the way, I know this is slightly off topic but this is my backpiece:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7787sueh.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	70857  
Old 11-03-2008, 09:32 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Chico , California
Suehowie, if you keep loosing weight that thing will end up looking like a hummingbird!! Take a look at my blog, I am going thru the same process as you. Give into the moment and enjoy every step. You will be rewarded in the end. NUTZ
Old 11-04-2008, 10:19 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Oh, and folks, don't apologize for the amount of work that's going to be involved restoring this baby...that's half the fun!!! And out of curiousity, how many females have been the pretty much the solitary person doing all the hard core (minus electrical and propane-but doing all the other work: cabinets, veneering, subfloor, the whole nine) AND decorating work on their Airstreams when renovating??
Old 11-04-2008, 11:14 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Hi Sue... Steph Roberts (a moderator) did it all herself... also see the "ladybug" threads.. (search ladybug... her name escapes me).. see also the "we can do it!" threads for some can do women...
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:06 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Hi Sue... Steph Roberts (a moderator) did it all herself... also see the "ladybug" threads.. (search ladybug... her name escapes me).. see also the "we can do it!" threads for some can do women...
Marc
LOL Thanks Marc....is there anything you DON'T know about this site?? I swear...
Old 11-05-2008, 05:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUEHOWIE View Post
Oh, and folks, don't apologize for the amount of work that's going to be involved restoring this baby...that's half the fun!!! And out of curiousity, how many females have been the pretty much the solitary person doing all the hard core (minus electrical and propane-but doing all the other work: cabinets, veneering, subfloor, the whole nine) AND decorating work on their Airstreams when renovating??
Looks like I will be doing a bit more work to my AS than intended... so I'm one of those gals that's going to get a little dirty. I'm trying to plan to replace my axles over Thanksgiving. I was going to wait until I could persuade some help from a male friend (or two) who initially indicated they'd help. Now they're not so excited. So, I will roll up my sleeves and do it myself. I've had some encouragement from folks on this forum...Next on the list in a new charging/converter to install (my univolt is gone). And to replace all the weatherstripping and screens. I should do some electrical but will delay it as long as possible. Subfloor scares the crap out of me. Hope when I pull up the carpeting that mine looks a bit better than yours! I have already started the upholstery and bought drape material. Trying to decide on how much of the plastic laminate I want to replace. Planning to epoxy paint my bathroom components and interior when time avails ....

So, count another girl in for solo work! But when the camping starts, I usually find a few people *willing* to help me sit by the fire, grill some food and drink some cocktails. Hummmmmmm And I thought having a trailer would be different than having a boat.

Cheers to you - love the start of your phoenix....
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:10 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post

Looks like I will be doing a bit more work to my AS than intended... so I'm one of those gals that's going to get a little dirty. I'm trying to plan to replace my axles over Thanksgiving. I was going to wait until I could persuade some help from a male friend (or two) who initially indicated they'd help. Now they're not so excited. So, I will roll up my sleeves and do it myself. I've had some encouragement from folks on this forum...Next on the list in a new charging/converter to install (my univolt is gone). And to replace all the weatherstripping and screens. I should do some electrical but will delay it as long as possible. Subfloor scares the crap out of me. Hope when I pull up the carpeting that mine looks a bit better than yours! I have already started the upholstery and bought drape material. Trying to decide on how much of the plastic laminate I want to replace. Planning to epoxy paint my bathroom components and interior when time avails ....
So, count another girl in for solo work! But when the camping starts, I usually find a few people *willing* to help me sit by the fire, grill some food and drink some cocktails. Hummmmmmm And I thought having a trailer would be different than having a boat.

Cheers to you - love the start of your phoenix....
You know what's funny? I can deal with the subfloor, it's the electric and the propane that scare me to death.

Made a deal with a co worker-he has a camper (not an A/S) and we have a few things in common. I am an amateur ghost hunter, and him and his wife enjoy going to the many different ghost towns around Washington, Oregon and points reachable. He is all excited to have someone to go on trips with, so he offered to do the electrical system for me. "Buy the supplies and a case of decent beer and both you & Lino hang out for the afternoon/weekend, and I'll do it". His father in law is head of some electrical union so he knows how to do the bulk of (if not all) of it.

Am planning on finding someone to do the propane install too, because that I am terrified of as well. Electrical and propane, to me, are the two things I don't want to mess with on my own. I am sure I can figure it out as I have put together many a grill on my own, but don't want to take chances here especially with the couple of hookups we need to do.

So nice to meet another can-do type of female! Woo hoo! Today was great because I had a crappy crappy day at work, and it was fantastic to go out to the Airstream and work on the demo work-am rebuilding a lot of it (can't save a lot of the wood so demo'd out the top of the twin beds, am trying to save the drawers) but man, swinging that hammer and slamming the wood was such a great stress relief....I loved it!! I think this project is going to just be a BLAST!!

ps thanks for the compliment on the ink!! I want to start on the leg piece (want a full leg piece full of stars) but that's going to wait
Old 11-06-2008, 05:52 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cleveland , Texas
I do know the feeling you are having right now. I am putting 70 back together now. I got the water tank back from the shop this week and will be putting it back in this weekend. I had some significant rust, did some cheap metal work for beefup of crossmembers, and I guess the hardest, nastiest part was removing all the DEGRADED insulation. The wood was basically mulch and powerized. A good dust mask/respirator is a must, and a good large wet/dry vac. Get ya some of those nice dishwashing gloves too.
Enjoy
Adam
Eliminator46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:07 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
If you want to feel better, look at my blog (signature). The floor in our '67 is really ugly in places. As for electrical, plumbing and LP... don't be intimidated. I grew up under the tutelage of a man who thought finish carpentry meant getting a smaller chain saw. The way I learned about electricity, plumbing, carpentry, etc., was mostly trial and error. Personally, my favorite trade is electrical because there's often the gratification of seeing a light go on where before there was darkness.

I am reading Sailboat Electrics Simplified. I picked it up in a local bookstore, mostly because my experience is with 110v systems. This is a great walkthrough of 12v electrical systems. There are great resources on RV plumbing as well. I think it's helpful to think of the Airstream as a "degree program" in rolling aluminum. To get your degree, you're going to have to take classes in all sorts of things. It's amazing how much you can learn simply by reading, both on the forums and in other resources. The really advantage to doing this is that at the end of the day, you'll have a real sense of mastery over your Airstream. You'll understand the systems and any problems that occur will be far less threatening to you. So, best of luck and enjoy your classes.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:17 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Usually, I'm just one of the guys ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUEHOWIE View Post
And out of curiousity, how many females have been the pretty much the solitary person doing all the hard core (minus electrical and propane-but doing all the other work: cabinets, veneering, subfloor, the whole nine) AND decorating work on their Airstreams when renovating??
Not solo, but I certainly do more than my fair share! I'm not afraid to jump in at all ~

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f91/...irl-31084.html

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:58 AM   #20

Currently Looking...
Sardis , Mississippi
Being a newbie, I am excited and inspired by all the comments here. I am in the process of buying a '74 Tradewind. It looks good on the surface, and the price was really good. Hopefully not too many problems, but reading all this makes me wonder.
Oh, well, it will be fun, anyway, and give my tinkering husband something to keep busy at on his time off. I do intend to help, but I am semihandicapped, unable to move easily. I do think I did good at least finding this one!!!
lildreamer is offline   Reply With Quote