Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Lifting the shell- what to do with C Channel?

OK, so Im reading more and more about lifting the shell.... I'm SOOO tempted just for ease of frame and floor work, but DEFINITELY a little scared...

I'm still trying to find a definite opinion on the C channel issue when lifting. i.e. do you drill out the buck rivets in the exterior skin and leave the C channel? OR do I leave the C channel attached to the skin and lift? But then how do I get the new floor in that C Channel when bringing the shell back down?? Stretch it??

I've seen both ways mentioned in various posts, but have not come to a good conclusion in my mind yet.

There is LOTS of sealant in that seam and all over the rivets etc.. Also, many rivet holes that probably wont line back up... looks like drilling out could provide an opportunity to create a leak point with all those holes and compromise the sealant, somewhere that is currently nice and tight from the factory...

Bring it on! What's your thoughts?
Thanks again!
Micky
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixter View Post
OK, so Im reading more and more about lifting the shell.... I'm SOOO tempted just for ease of frame and floor work, but DEFINITELY a little scared...

I'm still trying to find a definite opinion on the C channel issue when lifting. i.e. do you drill out the buck rivets in the exterior skin and leave the C channel? OR do I leave the C channel attached to the skin and lift? But then how do I get the new floor in that C Channel when bringing the shell back down?? Stretch it??

I've seen both ways mentioned in various posts, but have not come to a good conclusion in my mind yet.

There is LOTS of sealant in that seam and all over the rivets etc.. Also, many rivet holes that probably wont line back up... looks like drilling out could provide an opportunity to create a leak point with all those holes and compromise the sealant, somewhere that is currently nice and tight from the factory...

Bring it on! What's your thoughts?
Thanks again!
Micky
Micky,
Drill out all of the C channel rivets & lift the body off. This is how we do it & it works very well.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Thanks Colin!
Old 01-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Here we go!

Gantry's built today. Countdown has started to lift off!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-27_17-45-53_245.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	177611  
Old 01-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Gantry's built today. Countdown has started to lift off!
Move the front gantry to the forward vent hole. You'll be better balanced lifting from there.
Have fun
Colin
Old 01-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Yeah- I've been stewing on that! Thanks! Did you get my question on what to do with the wheel wells? i.e. can I leave them attached or do I need to drill them out?
Old 01-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
oh- and do I need a LONG piece of wood to go completely front to back to catch all the ribs? OR can I just lift from the front and rear ribs/ vents?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
oh- and do I need a LONG piece of wood to go completely front to back to catch all the ribs? OR can I just lift from the front and rear ribs/ vents?
Front & rear ribs/vents.
Colin