Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2013, 05:44 AM   #341
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Against Andy's advice I got rid of the gasket and just used Trempro-635 around the vent pipe to skin interface and then used Trempro again around the vent stack and so far no leaks after almost 2 years. Eventually, I am going to put a cap facing backwards on the square Tee-Pee vent so the internal seal becomes irrelavant.

That first hinge in the aluminum awning cover bothers me because water leaks through there and soaks the awning fabric causing it to rot. So the awning cover does not do much other than hold water in there. If that hinge were sealed somehow with a flexible seal or just some sort of plastic glued to both sides, it would extend the life of the awning.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
Both the grey water and black water tank vents have new gaskets, screens and caulking. Note, since this picture was taken, the awning retainer slot (or whatever it is called) has been cleaned and re-caulked.
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #342
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

We're about ready to install the insulation and replace the interior walls. At last count during a big rain storm, I had four tiny leaks. Three of them should have been fixed by Acryl-R (beltline and rub rail trim related and a window leak). Also, before the insulation and walls are installed, I'm trying to clean up some wiring issues. I've found several loose connections, a little bit of corrosion at connections due to moisture.

Steve
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #343
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Well, it’s been a couple of months since I’ve made a post on this thread and a lot has happened since the last post, plus the last post wasn’t fully catching you folks up to where the trailer really was at the time. As the project has come closer to completion (there’s still a ways to go), I’ve mostly focused on work-completion rather than documenting the progress.

First, I’d like to go back to the gutter system and drain holes. You might want to take a look at what I was hoping to do way back in post 97 of this thread regarding leak prevention/containment/ draining. Then take a look at post 290 regarding the need for a gutter system along with post 291 regarding the implementation of a complete wrap-around gutter (well almost complete). After a number of iterations of trial and caulking (goop repair), I’ve now got a good sealed gutter system with quarter-inch weep holes for drains that really works.

The proof is in the pouring.

See water on concrete from drain/weep holes.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #344
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Next, let’s look at wiring cleanup and improvement. I’ve tightened a lot of connections, re-done crimped or wire nut connections where required, eliminated several redundant wires, tied-out the harness with tie wraps and added some clamps and supports. Here are some examples.

The wiring around the main circuit breaker panel used to look like this.

Now it looks like this.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #345
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
I ran new RG-6 Coax from the antenna (which was also extensively rebuilt, but that’s another story for another day) and from the cable hookup near in the electrical cable storage compartment (see masking tape labels on coaxes).
Old 11-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #346
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Once the harnesses were more properly secured, we re-installed insulation. We found that it was far more practical to install pink fiberglass where wiring or small spaces or curved surfaces were involved.

However, everywhere else, we used solid insulation as shown below.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #347
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
I replaced the factory-installed TV amplifier with a more modern Winegard SensarPro broad-band digital amplifier/signal strength meter. The picture shows the last part of the transition where the old was being severed and the new was being installed.

Later, I pulled my monitor/TV from my desktop computer hooked it up in the trailer, scanned the channels available (found about 19) and was pleased to see that everything worked just fine! Note: I do not endorse whatever product is being advertised!
Old 11-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #348
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
I’ve done numerous other refurbishment projects, but I’m not going to detail them here as they don’t directly relate to this thread, but I do plan to do some additional threads in the future on the various subjects.

Next, we started installing the lower interior walls and it started to look like a trailer again that could be used as an actual recreational vehicle! I spelled out recreational, because I wanted to use the word and think about the concept rather than just view this whole project as simply a satisfying work project… soo I wasn’t going to simply use the abbreviation RV!

Old 11-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #349
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
I’ve had to do a good deal of prep work, priming and painting for the underbelly and related systems like leveling jacks.

This patch ain’t pretty, but it’s functional and protected from corrosion!

The air conditioner drain was revised to go through a sealed piece of PVC and now it penetrates the wrap at a different location (I have a paint sag, but I’m not too worried about that.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #350
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
We’ve installed and trimmed the Armstrong loose lay vinyl flooring. More wrinkles have relaxed since these pictures were taken, but things are looking up and things are getting exciting now!!! I just wish that winter weren’t setting in.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #351
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
The next projects are:
  • Hook up the propane appliances (water heater/furnace/stove) with some new copper branch lines and do some more trimming. That way we can fire up the furnace.
  • Replace the hot and cold pressure plumbing with PEX. I’ve already bought most of the SharkBite supplies needed for this task.
  • Then we’ll start installing the furniture. We selected the folks who are going to do our re-upholstery work about a month ago and sent the front couch, dinette cushions and upholstery fabric with them at that time.
  • Also to do is replacing the axles and tires. I’ve decided to go with 16” tires, so that will require replacing the wheels too.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #352
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
You've come along way Steve.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #353
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Congratulations Steve on all the great work you have done and getting to the home stretch.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #354
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I would like to know more about your "gutter" system.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #355
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Kip and Perry,
You guys have both helped me out with advice, suggestions and encouragement. I appreciate your help in getting me this far on the journey!

Steve
Old 11-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #356
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
I would like to know more about your "gutter" system.
Channing,
I'll be glad to try to help explain anything that you want me to expound on a little more. I'm assuming that you've reviewed/studied the three linked posts in my post 343 from earlier today. If not, take a little time and look over the three linked posts and all of the pictures and then tell me specifically the parts that don't quite make sense.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 11-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #357
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Looking good Steve! It is a wonder. I'll bet sometimes you thought it was like the Boeing Dreamlifter landing at Jabara the other day, questioning whether it would ever leave again. Yet here you are, end in sight! Way to go!
Old 11-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #358
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Phillip,
Thanks to you also for your encouragement along the way.

All,
I'll post more updates as I near completion. Thanks to my friend Ralph and all of the help that he has given to me and the good weather in the spring and summer we've made good progress!

All my best,

Steve
Old 11-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #359
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Well, I've just stumbled on this thread and am glad I did. I'm impressed with the work and discussion I've seen. I have not read the entire thread but I went far enough back to see many of the jobs I hope I never need to do. I bought my trailer a year and a half ago. It's an '01 Excella from a friend in Leavenworth, KS. Fortunately for us he kept it from new in underground storage in Missouri so it was only exposed when he was traveling and now since we bought it. Unfortunately I don't have the benefit of covered storage. That is unless I build a cover. Hmmmmmm have to think on that one.
Keep up the GREAT work I am seriously impressed. Maybe we'll meet some day on one of our trips through Kansas. We visit there often.
Can't wait to see it done.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #360
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Well, I've just stumbled on this thread and am glad I did. I'm impressed with the work and discussion I've seen. I have not read the entire thread but I went far enough back to see many of the jobs I hope I never need to do. I bought my trailer a year and a half ago. It's an '01 Excella from a friend in Leavenworth, KS. Fortunately for us he kept it from new in underground storage in Missouri so it was only exposed when he was traveling and now since we bought it. Unfortunately I don't have the benefit of covered storage. That is unless I build a cover. Hmmmmmm have to think on that one.
Keep up the GREAT work I am seriously impressed. Maybe we'll meet some day on one of our trips through Kansas. We visit there often.
Can't wait to see it done.
Roger,
I can't wait to see it done and I also hope that you don't have to ever have to go down a similar road either!

Regards,

Steve