Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #1

1969 31' Sovereign
Vail , Arizona
Just got a gutted '69 Sovereign any words of warning?

I just bought a 31 foot 69' Sovereign land yacht it was rebuilt from salvage and didn't come with any of the original interior. I've been reading through the forums trying to figure out what my first step would be and was wondering if anyone had any words of warning or things to look out for.

The first thing I want to do is take down the interior walls and ceiling there's a bunch of little screw holes and other gaps in the interior "skin" so I was thinking I need to replace it all.. I've seen from other rebuilds where people take thin pieces of wood (marine board?) to line the inside. Are there any serious considerations with doing this? I know I'm going to need to strip it down to the frame and outer shell to reseal the outer shell. Is there an affordable compound to do this? also the insulation is in pretty rough shape so I was kinda thinking I'd have to replace most if not all of it. I'd rather not use fibreglass if there was another option.. I've heard of people using spray in foam but I have no idea how to go about doing that.

After that I know I'll probably need to pull up the floor and address any frame issues.. I'd rather not do a fram-off if I can avoid it for the simple fact of I don't know if I have the tools to pull it off. is there any serious concern to address before I start pulling up the sub floor? my plan now would be to pull it up in sections so that I can trace out the right shape on the new boards. The sub floor generally consists of something like 5/8" OSB board, some kind of insulation barrier and another layer of like 1/4 inch plywood right?. I would also like to coat the frame in some sort of rust-protectant. I also need to attach some outriggers, would that be best to do while the floor is out?

Also I haven't been able to find if there's some sort of needed-tool list. I'd like to get something to polish the skin and I know I'll need some kind of rivet gun.. is there a suggested tool list somewhere?

I guess all I'm trying to end up with right now is a sound, clean, water sealed trailer with a solid floor, I'll worry about putting in any shelves or whatnot after that.

Sorry for the wall of text, thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2330.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	174075   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2332.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	174076  

Name:	DSCF2333.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	174077   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2337.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	174078  

DToKage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #2

1969 31' Sovereign
Vail , Arizona
Here's a better picture showing the inside, I'm thinking that under that plywood in the back it's looking like there could be some water damage.. any serious concern there?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF2351.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	174079  
DToKage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DToKage View Post
Here's a better picture showing the inside, I'm thinking that under that plywood in the back it's looking like there could be some water damage.. any serious concern there?
In spite of living in Arizona, the first major project should always making the coah "weatherproof".

Then make a list with time and costs of everything you want to do to it.

With that list, you can better plan your time and expenses for the parts.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The sub floor should be a single layer of plywood which attaches directly to the frame. The extra ply in the rear is covering something. There should have been a bathroom there at one time.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign