Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2018, 07:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Sacramento , California
Jacking

I have a 28 classic. I want to do some wheel maintenance in driveway and have been jacking the trailer while connected to ball on truck hitch. Is it ok to jack the trailer up from jacking point behind wheels while on the front trailer post?
Dbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:36 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Saint Augustine , Florida
jacking while hitched

I had a similar question a few months ago while suffering from a flat tire ( fortunately in my storage area). I called ProPride and asked them if it was OK and they said, no problem. Don't know about other hitches, tho.
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
I've done it with my 28 foot and Blue Ox hitch. No problems.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:08 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Sacramento , California
Sorry, guess i wasn’t clear. Is it ok to jack it up on the front jacking post while NOT connected to the truck at all.
Dbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I have done it several times with no issues, at least not with the front post. I have a Classic 30 slideout with a supposedly beefier frame. When I jacked from the jack point I can't open or close the door. This tells me the frame and shell are bending and/or being compressed, which I don't like. This time I put the jack on the axle mounting member part of the frame (not the axle or axle bracket) between the axles and everything was fine. There was no deformation of the bracket. There was room to put the jack and then snuggle a jack stand up next to it.

When I jacked my Safari 25 from that location the bottom flange of the bracket bent a little, but it didn't seem to hurt anything.

Depending on what you have to do, you might consider rolling the front or rear wheels up on blocks or ramps. I have done this while attached to the truck since it is hard to chock under these circumstances. This way the trailer is supported naturally and you can do whatever you want to on two wheels at a time.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:43 PM   #6
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbright View Post
Sorry, guess i wasn’t clear. Is it ok to jack it up on the front jacking post while NOT connected to the truck at all.
Yup... that's fine too. Best do it on level ground though. (Definitely more stable hooked up to the truck..)
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:07 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
^
Yep

Spends all Winter that way. 👍

Bob
🇱🇷
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_829.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	311690  
Old 05-22-2018, 06:58 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
Since I recently went through this exercise and learned a lesson the hard way, be sure that your front jack post is well supported at the bottom (an not further elevated on a block etc). if it makes sense for what your doing, you might also lower the the front end. I was removing the rear bellypan and wanted raise the rear higher. I think this will also help keep things even more stable but not entirely necessary. I went through this with a Hensley attached but not hitched to the TV. The Hensley is just resting on the ground. The bars were removed before I started.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Consider buying two of the tire chasing ramps. You'll keep one with you anyway in case of a flat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Put one on each side and back the trailer on to them. Then take off one wheel from each side, no jack needed.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote