Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
jonathan

1969 23' Safari
Homestead , Florida
Info Required - Frame Size

After reading about the take over of the Airstream company and the change in the frame size I now have a dilema,
there are 2 trailers I am interested to buy 1. 1973 25' Land yacht, 2. 1975 25' Land yacht, both the same price both similar condition,
Can anyone advise
Many thanks Jonathan.
jonnyregis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Jonathan both trailers are from the same era of company ownership and will be nearly exact in the production methods. The 75 will however have both a grey and black waste water tank and the 73 will only have a grey tank.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I think Wasagachris meant to say the '73 has black tank, no grey tank.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
x

XXXX , XXXX
yeah I did i guess I should engage the brain before I engage the keyboard.
Tech guys will call the an imput error. The problems lies in the interface between the keyboard and the user. Commonly known as a ID 10 TEE error(ID10T)
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Go for the '75

Same era.
Same production methods.
Same length (25' is very sought after)
One has a gray water tank; the other does not.

Even though it is too small, that tiny tank makes a huge difference.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyregis View Post
After reading about the take over of the Airstream company and the change in the frame size I now have a dilema,
there are 2 trailers I am interested to buy 1. 1973 25' Land yacht, 2. 1975 25' Land yacht, both the same price both similar condition,
Can anyone advise
Many thanks Jonathan.
Welcome Jonathan!
I see you have been a forum member for several months, but this is your first post.
My advice, since you asked, would be to find a local volunteer inspector to help you make the best choice. Newer does not necessarily mean better. Condition is everything!
If you would rather do this yourself, there is a helpful list of items that should be checked during an inspection. Though, if you are not familiar with these items, the list may not mean much to you. The list of inspectors and the list of items can be found here on the forum if you look around.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Beatrice Foods almost trashed AS in the seventies and made mostly crappy coaches. I would be looking towards a later model (late seventies through the eighties) after the dust settled.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
You'll really rather have the black and the gray tanks. A lot of places won't let you run the gray water on the pavement or on the ground anymore. Tanks that don't leak are nice too.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
re: "Beatrice Foods almost trashed AS in the seventies and made mostly crappy coaches."

many times disproven, no substance for the allegation, yet some folks still can't handle the reality.

why?

When Airstream was bought by Beatrice and then by Thor it was still the Airstream company with the same employees, same designers, same facilities, producing the same product.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I had no problems with 70's Airstreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanl View Post
re: "Beatrice Foods almost trashed AS in the seventies and made mostly crappy coaches."

many times disproven, no substance for the allegation, yet some folks still can't handle the reality.

why?

When Airstream was bought by Beatrice and then by Thor it was still the Airstream company with the same employees, same designers, same facilities, producing the same product.
From my experience, I agree with this. I have owned two 70's Excellas, one early and one late. Absolutely no problems with them related to design or manufacture! The only problems were created by misuse or lack of maintenance by PO's.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Airstream has designers??!!! They must be running photo copies of the designs from the 70's. I say that because I read a lot of comments from people who have AS's that are less than 5 years old and have the same problems I have with my 38 year old unit. Floor rot, windows leaking, vents leaking, rivets popping, cracks above the door and the list goes on.
When I think of the years this trailer has been made and the opportunities that have been missed in resolving many of these reoccurring problems. It makes me wonder what these designers do all day.
Don't get me wrong, I like the Argosy and expected to have "issues" with an older unit. But I would be a very unhappy camper if I payed out $60K or more and experienced the same issues.
All I can see is they have become heavier and along with it, expensive.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Be Thankful for Beatrice Foods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanl View Post

why?

Beatrice Foods kept Airstream alive when the company was about to go under preserving the brand during those lean, Jimmy Carter years when gasoline was rationed and the age of American exceptionalism was over. During the Beatrice years we got a gray water holding tank and tambour cabinet doors, and 16" wheels were retained. Beatrice got us through the tough economic times essentially protecting the name and the product. This is all from memory, perhaps Fred Caldwell will see this thread and provide a more well-documented response.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:00 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
So when did Beatrice sell Airstream? My 81 has a beefed up frame compared to the 70 trailers. Mine has the double C-channel box beam contruction. I believe the 70's models had the single open C-channel beams. I have heard more frame problems in the new trailers than the old ones. The old ones are usually due to rot and rust.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:46 PM   #14
jonathan

1969 23' Safari
Homestead , Florida
Quote:
Can anyone advise.
Many thanks for all your advice
jonnyregis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Beatrice Foods almost trashed AS in the seventies and made mostly crappy coaches. I would be looking towards a later model (late seventies through the eighties) after the dust settled.
Look what happened when AMF bought Harley Davidson... About the same time period. Similar results.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Having owned a number of trailers, if they are the same price and condition I would always choose the 75 over the 73.

Quote:
Can anyone advise.

Many thanks for all your advice
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:29 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
If you have searched here and on Google for information on Beatrice – frames, etc. you’ve found a lot of comment on those years. You’ll also have found different thoughts and what appear to be definitive statements. Some of those may or may not be true.
There are comments that Beatrice purchased Airstream in 1969 – another will say 1970. Beatrice actually purchased Airstream in the fall of 1967 and the final paperwork was filed with the State of Ohio on 12/5/1967. Beatrice renewed the Airstream trade name in 1972 and again in 1977. There are comments that it was sold in the late 70’s – another says 1980 which is actually what I see as correct. The State filings are not totally clear but would indicate the sale finalized in August 1980. By that time, the designs for the 1981 models would have been locked in.
Statements are made that the frame size was reduced from 5 or 4 inches to 3 inches. I’ve never seen one with a 3 inch frame – anyone out there have one? I looked at a 75 Ambassador last year for someone local – it didn’t have a 3 inch frame. The owner also had a 77 bare Ambassador frame there – it wasn’t 3 inch.
Other comments are out there that during the Beatrice years the trailers became heavier without the frame being beefed up. That’s not necessarily true. If you look at my Overlander it weighed 4,525 dry in 1969 and never went out of the 4500 range through 1977. The Ambassador on the other hand went from 4,715 in 1969 to 5,040 in 1977 but, by 1979, it was down to 4,630. The trailer you’re looking at weighed 4,340 dry in 1969. In 1973 it was 4,100 and in 1975 it was 4,110. It then dropped slightly in 1977 and 1979.
Several posters above indicate that is not a lot of difference between those two trailers and I agree. If you’re locked in on the frame issue – measure both where they exit to the bumper connection – is there any difference? The addition of the grey tank is a nice feature but, it could also be a problem. Did the prior owner(s) tow it long distance or over rough roads with a full black and grey tank – putting pressure on the frame. The frame condition is important and you’re wise to look into that.
Opinions are just that but mine is focus on overall condition, condition, condition. There’s probably not a dimes difference in these two units otherwise, and there’s an entire list of things that you should look at beyond the frame. Good luck with your choice.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote