Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
OH - Ohio , waynesville
I'm bugged

OK, caught the airstream fever about a month ago when I found a $900 "64 globetrotter. Now I find myself completely overwhelmed by the size of this restoration job. What i though was going to be a quick coat of paint and some fabric has turned into a major project. In addition to the cloth wiring (which i know I have to replace) I have discovered I have termites. Unbelievable in an aluminum trailer. So....I guess I'm now replacing floor. I started researching, and am discovering words like bottom drop and channels. I'm hopelessly lost and confused. Can anyone give me a rundown of what I need to do and why. Please make it simple I'm one woman working alone. Thanks
gottatrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
The best thing you could do, I think, is read one of the threads that documents the shell off restoration of a trailer. There are several here to choose from.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Here are some to get you started:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ion-49720.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ent-38289.html
Old 08-31-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
OH - Ohio , waynesville
thanks for the help. it sounds serious. I hope you're suggesting that the inside shell must be removed and not the outside shell. I'll be studying the links you sent me....then I'll probably be looking for a handyman (not sure this is a one woman job). wish me luck!
Old 08-31-2011, 02:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
oh you poor thing...

Termites - that is awful. How upsetting to start off on a "face-lift" project to find out you could be falling through the floor. And to replace the floor is no easy project. Everything will need to come out of the trailer to access the floor. Are the bugs in the wood in the cabinets, beds, and such? Those may need to go too - ugh! The floor is a big job, I don't know if you can do it with the shell on, but there are lots of threads on here that talk about that.

I would suggest finding another vintage airstream owner near you (they're here on the forum) and have them come over and take a look. On the right side of the main page there is a section where you can look up folks who are willing to do inspections. I would find someone in your area, ask them if they would be willing to come over and give you their input on your new baby. You need to make sure there aren't other issues with the running systems, electric etc. Be on the safe side.

There is tons of information on here - don't let it overwhelm you. No longer do you have a couple weekend project, but an over the winter project or a year long project. It can be done. Make sure it's something you really want to undertake. It sounds like you got a bargain on the trailer. Your project is not impossible, but it's going to take time and probably lots of $$$.

Good Luck!!

Tina
Old 08-31-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
OH - Ohio , waynesville
thanks tina. I'm trying to be optimistic. Ordered a rivet gun today.....i'm clearly going to need it. I think you're right that the damage goes beyond the floor. pull out bed and dinette were gone when I bought it (probably completely devoured by the pests). cabinets are good (except for the fact that someone painted them). Definitely going to look for a fellow streamer in my area, if for no other reason than to have someone to cry with when i discover I'm in over my head. great advice...thanks
Old 08-31-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
How far are you from Jacksonville? The factory could probably redo your floor for you, if you decide you want to do so.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I dont know what kind of budget you might be on but if your project is over whelming you may want to make arrangement for the Factory to do the floor replacement for you. You are only 70 miles from them and if you take it in this fall,they can do it in what is thier OFF SEASON. They have all the equipment and supplies to do the job and it will be cheaper than taking it to some off the wall RV place who will have NO IDEA what they are doing.
BEST OF LUCK TO YOU and YOUR PROJECT.
ROGER
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
'trotter:
Welcome to the best place on earth to get straight talk and good advice. I'm a newbie, too, and I've learned So.Much.Good.Stuff here. I've been to Jackson Center, the Factory, and I agree with Roger and Cameron = make an appointment by calling Chris or one of the other customer service folks; take it over there and At Least get an opinion and an estimate on Floor Replacement. Have them look at the mechanical systems while you're there. Winter is the best time because their load is lighter, so they say.

Once you have a sound floor and working mechanicals, the details, fittings, and furniture can be the FUN part of the restoration.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:04 PM   #10
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Gotta', you are not the first person to buy a vintage trailer and find there's more work than you anticipated. In fact, those of us who buy new ones find out there is lots of maintenance that we didn't know about. Some give up and some get to work step by step and eventually have a trailer they know everything about and has just what they want.

Fortunately you found the Forum and as has been said, there's a great deal of information how to proceed. It will be confusing and challenging, but the final result can be something you will be very proud of.

Take photos of the trailer and post them with questions how to fix things and you will get plenty of suggestions what to do.

There is a company that does restorations in Ohio, though I can't remember their name right now. I'm sure someone will post the name eventually. The Service Center (separate part of the Airstream complex from the factory) does good work and you can get quotes from them for specific tasks. They charge less during the winter.

If you do the work yourself you will learn a lot, have a great number of tools you will buy and will be useful for all sorts of things, and you will save a lot on labor charges. Either way this will not be cheap, but neither is a fully restored one or a new one. Aluminitis is an expensive disease and we all have it.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:53 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
OH - Ohio , waynesville
thanks everyone for some excellent info. I think you're all trying to say this should not be attempted by one female newbie. I think you're right, not sure i even have the tools to do it. calling the factory tomorrow.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:07 PM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I am not saying you can't do it. It doesn't matter whether you are male or female. It is about willingness to do it. No shame in not doing it.

Good luck whatever you choose.

Gene
Old 08-31-2011, 09:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Hi, Gotta,

Welcome to the forums, and sorry you are experiencing such a rude introduction to the Airstream world.

A couple of comments in no particular order. . .

1. You got the trailer for a good price, even if the floor is rotten. You may be surprised to learn the smaller vintage trailers usually sell for more than the bigger ones. Any Globetrotter capable of being towed on its own wheels is probably worth what you paid for it or more.

2. You may not need a shell-off or even extensive floor replacement. It's possible to spot-replace bad spots or in some cases stabilize them with a penetrating epoxy like Git-Rot. I think the first thing I would do is give it a good shot of insecticide to kill any surviving termites!

3. I am guessing that the factory would probably want several thousand if not tens of thousands of dollars for a shell-off restoration. Restoring old Airstreams is labor-intensive! Depending on what you want, you might be better selling the trailer to someone willing to do the work themselves and buying a (more expensive) trailer in better shape.

Best of luck,
Nuvi
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:27 PM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Gotta,

Whatever you decide to do, you have learned a valuable AS lesson.

Some have spent much more and learned a lot less.

Good Luck...

Bob
Old 08-31-2011, 09:27 PM   #15
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
There is a company that does restorations in Ohio, though I can't remember their name right now.
Gene
Perhaps P&S Travel Trailer Service, P & S Travel Trailer Service, Helena, Ohio, is the name of the company. They are excellent folks and do PRIMO work.........God bless........Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:37 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
OH - Ohio , waynesville
your words of encouragement and the revelation of repair costs through the factory have given me new determination to tackle this project myself. I will have to swallow my pride and bring in some muscle from the hubby and sons (all of whom doubted my ability to begin with). but in the end she'll be great. Planning to gut it first, then strip off the lino tiles to get a better look. Not tearing out any floor until I get an experienced opinion. Hosed it with poison, but I'm worried they may still be in the insulation. Hoping i can maybe get away with a partial replacement. thanks for all the support!
Old 09-01-2011, 07:45 AM   #17
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Every job like restoring a trailer, remodeling a house or anything else like these, starts with excitement followed by "what have I done?" Then it is time to figure out what to do first, learn and ask for help. If the family is all working at it, it will be the family's trailer.

Once it is gutted, taking off some of the inner skin should reveal the extent of termite infestation and the condition of the insulation.

Gene
Old 09-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #18
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
You can do it! You got a great price in that trailer. also check out threads regarding Shell ON Restorations. Several people have done them with lots of success. I would replace that floor though. Good luck!
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
OH - Ohio , waynesville
update....removed cabinet to expose the root of the swarm. they seem to have come up through a mesh covered vent in the belly. the previous owner(s) added many weird stacks and faucets, and I wondering if this was added by them or should it be there. I'm worried about reinfestation...thinking I should at least add a layer of screening over it (is that enough?). Also, really wishing I hadn't parked it so close to my house now that I have termites. Unfortunately, the rims were sent off for sandblasting so I can't even move it......very unhappy husband. nothing moving in the floors, they're either dead or in my garage.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
gotta,

If that screen vent is on the floor behind the reefer it may be stock, our 63 had one to allow air flow around the coils.

Bob