Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2017, 07:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hydraulic levelers...

Hi there....

I know I only have a little trailer 22' CCD International - but I am getting tired of bending over to use the stabilizers and all the hassle some times to get my baby level. My stabilizer arms are really low and temperamental even with a manual crank - I know I could get the arms extended and use a cordless drill - I think I would run into issues with these old ones cross threading if I don't stop the drill in time on the up mode - but I don't want to bend over!!! I want luxury in my golden years.

Is there anyone out there that has retrofitted their AS with Hydraulic levellers?

Would the frame be strong enough - or would it also need some extra welded plates for full weight bearing. My baby is only 4300 pounds at best.

Can anyone steer me regarding product names and ball park pricing - starting from scratch and have no idea???

Thanks for any info or suggestions...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0315.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	300552
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
You maybe able to retro fit motor on the cranks. I remember seeing them sold as add ons.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:02 PM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Hydraulic levelers...

The Airstream Frame and structure in general was not designed for levelers. You will deform it beyond repair if you try to level at the corners (my opinion - you could certainly try it and report back on what happens .

Once your trailer is level (use the jack for front-to-back and wheel blocks or what have you for left to right) you can then deploy stabilizers to take the bounce out.

There are electric stabilizers on the market and airstream fit them to the 2014-2017 land yacht.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:57 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Call CanAm. I thought I saw one of their advertisements that featured electric stabilizers. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Thanks for the responses!

So do you think this see e- trailer link below... might work for the side to side levelling part? If of course I can manage the clearances on the frame. I would mount it on the strongest part of the frame between the two wheels. Would only need a few inches of lift. Rated for 6000 pounds. I would then use the tongu jack for front to back levelling.

I would then only need to drop the two stabilizers at the back which are easy to reach at the bumper.

Same concept as when I jacked her up this summer to service all the brakes and take my wheels in for new tires. Yep still a Silver Sister doing most of my own maintenance.... hence the aches and pains- this stuff is killing me

Name:	C07A215E-D020-484A-B606-98D3F48FCE55.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	300555

Name:	75E20E14-E2F0-4A88-A684-658763652AF7.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	313.7 KB
ID:	300556

https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack...39-941707.html
Old 12-08-2017, 04:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Call CanAm. I thought I saw one of their advertisements that featured electric stabilizers. Pat
Stabilizers are dif than levelors.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
The Airstream Frame and structure in general was not designed for levelers. You will deform it beyond repair if you try to level at the corners . . .
. . .
Same understanding here FWIW.

05ModPod -- Ditto on the difficulties bending over and so forth.

You might re-consider using a cordless drill with the correct socket plus an 6" to 12" extension (depending on your configuration) to operate the stabilizers. You can adjust the clutch setting to avoid over-tightening, which is one of your concerns. When properly lubricated, the operation is effortless, in part because these new lithium tools are very light and powerful. You still have to bend over to place pads on the ground for the stabilizers, and to pick up the dog . . .

The Lithium Battery Tools thread has some ideas on the general options for this incredibly efficient type of cordless tool:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ls-170188.html

As you can see in Posts #35-40 in that thread, we got a Milwaukee 12-volt drill set, and have been very happy with it. They make a charger which works off 12 volts also, and a full line of batteries, tools, radios, flashlights and so forth.

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- Great photo on the December Contest thread! BTW have you checked the DOT manufacture date on your tires? Sitting for 7 years, per your other post, may suggest the need for new tires IMO.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=172

FWIW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05ModPod View Post
. . .
. . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:08 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05ModPod View Post
Hi there....

I know I only have a little trailer 22' CCD International - but I am getting tired of bending over to use the stabilizers and all the hassle some times to get my baby level. My stabilizer arms are really low and temperamental even with a manual crank - I know I could get the arms extended and use a cordless drill - I think I would run into issues with these old ones cross threading if I don't stop the drill in time on the up mode - but I don't want to bend over!!! I want luxury in my golden years.

Is there anyone out there that has retrofitted their AS with Hydraulic levellers?

Would the frame be strong enough - or would it also need some extra welded plates for full weight bearing. My baby is only 4300 pounds at best.

Can anyone steer me regarding product names and ball park pricing - starting from scratch and have no idea???

Attachment 300552
That trailer already has a very weak frame, prone to cracking, bending, and breaking. Trying to use a hydraulic leveling system on it would completely destroy it, unless you completely replace the frame with one strong enough to tolerate the abuse.

Also, those "jacks" are never to be used to level the trailer, they are there for stabilizing only.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Okay lets clear this up...

The stabilizers on my trailer (you know the little space pads that drop down on a cork screw system) - of course are not there to lift the weight of the trailer - it just stops the bounce from the tires (new as mentioned in the post for the reason me jacking up the trailer to do all tires at once.)

I totally agree the frame on my trailer is "crap"! But she has been welded up with stiffness all over the place.

When I jacked the trailer up to do the tires/brakes putting the four jacks on the axle plates where you are supposed to jack her up - I thought that I could weld the electric leveller system to take the weight and level in the middle. My tongue jack pretty much kept the trailer level and sturdy At the time I had put the back stabilizers down just in case I went to the back of the trailer and tip it - but it never did tip back on the five points.

I don't think the frame would twist at all - if the levellers are placed in the strongest part of the frame opposed to where the stabilizers are - yes that would cause twisting. But I'm not wanting to replace the stabilizers - I want to add levellers.