Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
How to clean vinyl floor?

My 2012 International 25' FB has the faux wood vinyl floor. Most of the walking area is covered by rugs, but some gets a bit of foot traffic. The dirt has become ingrained in the vinyl, or at least in the coating. Normal cleaners will not take it up. I assume that I need to strip the Mop n Glow-type product off the vinyl. I would appreciate it if anyone has any ideas on homemade or commercial products that might do the job.

Thanks, Don
donabston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
The Villages , Florida
We have vinyl floor that is most likely the same. And, it is a bad choice for an RV. It gets dirty very quickly. So far we have found the best way to clean it is by down on your knees with mild soap and water. I have considered removing it and installing hardwood flooring. I know it will be a difficult job, but I can do it. It is just a matter of time before I bite the bullet.

Bill
Uncle Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Same problem here. Thinking about a different floor option. Not the best flooring choice by Airstream.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
I think A/S uses this type vinyl because it has a little texture to it...safer than smooth. To get the ingrained dirt out use 409 in one hand, heavy duty scrub brush in the other. Make sure to wipe with clean wet towel to get off the 409...or you can use Once N Done which is probably safer...available at Home Depot or any flooring store...been around forever..safe on all vinyl...highly recommended for vinyl floors...I think it as an Armstrong product.

In between deep cleanings use a Swifter for a quick clean. We had the same problem until we had the trailer at the dealer and decided to have it detailed. We were surprised that they also cleaned the floor...all the embed dirt was gone. We use bound area rugs under the table, entry, and in the hallway during the winter...shoes off during the summer...but the floor still seems to get dirty. We also have a sisal floor mat outside and the factory Airstream floor mat inside the door.

I work in the flooring industry and people are always amazed that their flooring gets dirty and sometimes stains...we forget the fact that we walk on it with dirty feet. Hope this helps. Gene
No. 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Pinesol, on my hands and knees with a potato brush. Works well....only do it once a season.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Armstrong makes a very very good cleaner. Follow it up with their shine keeper! Try the Mr. Clean magic erasers too, they are amazing on ingrained dirt, although they can dull glossy surfaces.

Armstrong® New Beginning® Floor Stripper & Cleaner - Floor Cleaner - Ace Hardware
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We just use a mild cleaner solution ... we use Fabuloso & warm water ... and scrubber sponge .... on our hands and knees...(thank goodness it's a Bambi!) ... Fabuloso leaves it pretty clean and fresh-smelling. The texture in the vinyl catches dirt ... scrub with the "grain" for the best results and wipe up with a clean paper towel or cloth. We do not use wax to avoid a build-up. We wash the floor after every trip, and sometimes wipe it down during a trip if we're in a particularly dusty/dirty location.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Thanks for all the information and hints. I bought a gallon container of Zep floor stripper at Home Depot. You mix a small amount of it with hot water. Lots of elbow grease with a plastic scrubber and a scrub brush. The floor looks good now. Won't be using any kind of wax product going forward. Will use your hints to clean. Also I tried a little Murphy Oil Soap which seems to do well.
donabston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
O BOY, you people are just not lazy enough. My knees protest after too much up and down. I was wandering through Home Depot one day and saw a bunch of brushes and mops that fit a single handle. Just screw them on and off. The idea of having a scrub brush on the end of a 5 foot handle got my money out. I got a broom base and a tire scrubbing base brush.

1 use an outside wooly mat to scrub off much gravel, grass clippings, etc.
2 shoes off at the door, dropped in a box. Comfy slippers or flip flops inside.
3 vacuum or broom every other day - especially around the door, kitchen.
4 Q&D damp mop once a week(ish). I use long handled scrub brush wrapped in microfiber work cloth.

Major Clean - ( before going to a rally where I'll be judged) or once every six months or so.

Clorox bathroom cleaner with bleach. It will clean anything including burned on coffee in the bottom of a pot - but for gods sake rinse WELL! I spray a small area, then run over it with a moderately wet microfiber work cloth - pushed by the scrub brush on a handle. Pick up, dump in sink, hit remaining dirt with scrub brush, then using a clean barely damp microfiber work cloth, wipe up remaining moisture. Repeat working your way out to the door. When done, have a cold hard cider.

Paula
Old 09-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Milltown , New Jersey
Fabuloso works great. Put it on and let it sit a minute or two, then wipe off.
deanNdonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #11
Retired USAF (kinda)

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meridian , Idaho
Not in My House

Quote:
Originally Posted by No. 13 View Post
I work in the flooring industry and people are always amazed that their flooring gets dirty and sometimes stains...we forget the fact that we walk on it with dirty feet. Hope this helps. Gene
I believe in the Japanese custom of removing your shoes before coming in the house; or trailer for that matter. Is that rude?
av8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #12
Streamline Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Indianapolis , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8or View Post
I believe in the Japanese custom of removing your shoes before coming in the house; or trailer for that matter. Is that rude?
I don't think so. My shoes stay at the front door. Some actually get to come inside, but there are a couple of pair that never make it past the threshold.
Nolavalkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #13
Retired USAF (kinda)

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meridian , Idaho
😆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolavalkyrie View Post
I don't think so. My shoes stay at the front door. Some actually get to come inside, but there are a couple of pair that never make it past the threshold.
Maybe it's a Hoosier thing.
av8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:39 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, we also take our shoes off just inside of the door. Other than a small broom and a small vacuum cleaner I just use a paper towel and/or a scrub sponge with Windex to clean my floor.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:31 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Paula, them long handled scrubbers, or anything like that hurt my back more than hands and knees do. Guess we all fall apart a little differently.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:12 AM   #16
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Quote:
Originally Posted by donabston View Post
Thanks for all the information and hints. I bought a gallon container of Zep floor stripper at Home Depot. You mix a small amount of it with hot water. Lots of elbow grease with a plastic scrubber and a scrub brush. The floor looks good now. Won't be using any kind of wax product going forward. Will use your hints to clean. Also I tried a little Murphy Oil Soap which seems to do well.
Most stripper will "flash off" in hot water so become less effective. Try cold to lukewarm water for better results. Done right, very little elbow grease is required to strip a lightly soiled floor. You must also apply a neutraliser after stripping and before applying any type of finish to the floor. If not, the new finish will not bond correctly. Is the floor vinyl or vinyl laminate? I see a potential issue with laminate as most sealers are water based and could cause laminate to swell.

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:40 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
2019 27' Globetrotter
Santa Barbara , California
New vinyl woven flooring

Hi, all. We just acquired a 2019 AS Globetrotter 27FB with the luxury woven vinyl flooring. We had 2 mishaps, already: On trip 2, a 12-pack of Diet Coke came crashing down from the cabinet above the microwave, during transit, spewing one ruptured can of dark cola all over the floor. On trip 4 (I’m a slow learner) a 4-set of liquor decanters fell from that same cabinet, shattering 2 of the decanters and spewing Scotch (dark colored) and gin all over the floor. The woven vinyl flooring is now stained, and the trailer has an odor reminiscent of London, Scotland, and Kentucky (I’m a bourbon drinker). Cleaning it up with water alone hasn’t proved effective. I’m planning on hiring a professional carpet cleaner, but I’m concerned about chemicals that might be adverse to the material, and any steam-cleaning that might be applied, potentially affecting any adhesives that were used in laying the flooring. Any good advice is appreciated. I may call Jackson Center, tomorrow, to ask for their recommendation. Thanks, and Happy Travels.
M and M is offline   Reply With Quote