Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
How Much POR 15

So does any one know about how much POR 15 I will Need to coat my 28' Ambassador frame? The stuff isn't the cheapest so I really don't want a ton of extra. And can you spay it on? I know if I do it will take more.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
You cannot spray it on. The best I can see, is each pint covers 12 sq. feet, so you'll have to do the math. They make a "six pack" that covers 72 sq. feet that looks like the best idea, so you can take those important rest breaks. Let us know how it works out, a friend has used it and swears by it! Remember, like a lot of great things in life, it's "stirred, not shaken".
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
So does any one know about how much POR 15 I will Need to coat my 28' Ambassador frame? The stuff isn't the cheapest so I really don't want a ton of extra. And can you spay it on? I know if I do it will take more.
You can spray it, its just a big PITA. Brush application works great. Be sure to cover up as this paint bonds to iron pretty much permanently. Since you have iron in your blood (unless you are a Vulcan) it will be on your skin til your skin flakes off. I used a bit less than a gallon. I also used Por 15 hardnose for any part of the frame exposed to UV. It is very UV sensitive and requires a top coat.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I suppose you could use a sprayer, but I notice in my catalog they offer no spray cans.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
A $25 HVLP (high-volume low-pressure) gravity fed spray gun from Harbor Freight did a very nice job on my 27' frame, as well as turning my driveway bright silver. A full face respirator with correct cartridges worked well - although now their lawyers have modified requirements to remote-source air supply. Brushing exposes you to more vapors for a longer time.

I used two quarts and thinned it down per instructions spraying. And, I brushed on two quarts, thinned down, three years ago and learned some things the first time. More to the story here. You can see where the black POR bonded and didn't bond the first time I painted - when it bonds correctly even an angle grinder with gnarly abrasive disc mostly bounces off

The factory paint is an asphalt based waxy coating that will poison-load up most abrasive pads you could use to strip it off - an angle grinder with twisted-bristle wire brush 'slung' it away nicely but still left an oily layer that needed two and three solvent wipes to get to bare metal, and even then any microscopic pits still hold the yellow-brown wax.

Even with the solvent wiping the silver POR-15 came up with a yellowish hue to it from floating up traces of the original paint. I found the aerosol B-12 Chemtool Carburetor, Choke and Throttle Body Cleaner worked extremely well - caught it on sale for eight cans at $2 each... That and a two rolls of paper towels. Respirator mandatory.

I got the POR-15 thinner, good stuff and worth it, even cleaning the spray gun, etc. and it both stretches the brushed on POR and extends the cure time.

Attachment is twisted-bristle brushes, right one has lost its magic. Goggles, gloves and eat your spinach as your wrists & grip will be tested if you do it correctly. Beg or borrow a magnetic sweeper, I wore a bristle needle under my skin on my back for three days from wiggling over one after-the-fact.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.php?attachmentid=145626.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	159683  
Old 05-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Hey thanks for all the info. Wabbiteer, your thread is great lots of good info. I just need to get mine done in a month and a half or will be borrowing friends AS again.

I don't think there is any paint left of the frame, looks like a lot of surface rust. And it has spray on foam insulation underneath. So i'm guessing it was protected under that, or maybe not will find out in the next few days. Is there another product that works like POR15 just wondering..?

I have my gantry's that I will use to flip the frame around to take the rust off and paint. done laying on my back..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 05-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Is there another product that works like POR15 just wondering..?
Just talked with my friend who restores vintage rigs; he says don't bother to shop around.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Ok thanks mike. It's a done deal then. 4 quarts is on sale for $167.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 05-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
POR-15 is the only way to go, we use it on cars, trucks, tractors, boats AND Airstreams We usually thin ours a bit and use foam rollers and brushes.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Jason, email Frank (62overlander) and ask him about how he sprays Por-15. He's posted some photos and it looks amazing. Granted you won't see most of your work in the end, but spray likely will get a much more effective coat.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
They do make it in a spay can now. And UV doesn't affect it. $21 for 14 oz not cheap

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 06-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof

Are you seeing their aerosol blackcote? It is a close cousin sold as non-porous top coating. I don't believe we'd get the corrosion undercutting protection from it - maybe allow blisters to hold moisture next to iron versus the POR15 bonding strong enough rust won't creep under it on gouges or missed pits on welds etc...
Old 06-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #13
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I no longer use a brush, because I always spray it now. I use a siphon feed cup gun @ 28 psi thinned out 10% with zylene. It goes on even and smooth. Spraying it also increases the coverage by a lot.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Hey ... Is there another product that works like POR15 just wondering..?..
I have used POR15 and this stuff...

Rust Solutions - Specialty Coatings

It seems the Eastwood rust encapsulator is a bit cheaper if I remember correctly. It sprays very nice and doesn't seem to be as picky about UV exposure. It's been on there for over a year with no top coating on the exposed areas...so far so good.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...tml#post966651
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #15
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
I use Aluthane from epoxyproducts.com. It is a metal-filled, moisture cured polyurethane, aluminum colored. $32/quart. $92/gallon. Works very well, hard and strong.

We epoxied and painted the floor in our Airstream with this stuff; it has held up very well to foot traffic.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:49 AM   #16
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I no longer use a brush, because I always spray it now. I use a siphon feed cup gun @ 28 psi thinned out 10% with zylene. It goes on even and smooth. Spraying it also increases the coverage by a lot.
Good to know!

We have a few more projects to go...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:51 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Valparaiso , Indiana
Do you guys use the Metal Ready prep before por15?
Old 06-07-2012, 07:27 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Yes. Highly recommended.

It's effortless with proper prior preparation, leaves the metal surface with a texture of 600 or 800 grit AlOx sandpaper making the POR-15 key to the surface like nothing else I've ever seen.

I think purman should make a special trip to a Denver speed shop and pick up a gallon so he can get the process done before his POR-15 arrives!
Old 06-07-2012, 08:00 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
Yes. Highly recommended.

It's effortless with proper prior preparation, leaves the metal surface with a texture of 600 or 800 grit AlOx sandpaper making the POR-15 key to the surface like nothing else I've ever seen.

I think purman should make a special trip to a Denver speed shop and pick up a gallon so he can get the process done before his POR-15 arrives!
WHAT!! thats like a 4 hour drive.. over the mountains. One Way. WITH FOUR KIDS ALL UNDER 9!!!!!!! wonder if I can find it in Grand Junction. Thats only an Hour.. through the rolling desert.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 06-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Hey got the Por15 yesterday and sprayed today. I don't know why I would even think about brushing it on. It would take forever. I put two coats on and only thinned the first 1/2 quart. I didn't thin it after that. It didn't need it.

2 quarts was enough to do my 28' frame with 2 coats. And this stuff sprays nice. I've sprayed a lot of stuff lacquer to car paint and this stuff is hard to make run.... I tried.

anyway pics with be with my restoration thread. This stuff is the best. frame looks great.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT