Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2004, 12:20 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question How much floor bounce/give is normal?

Gentlemen:

Just bought a 2001 Bamb, 19 feet, apparently very good condition. Have never owned a travel trailer before, so chalk this up to inexperience - while I do not expect the flooring to be completely rigid, I do not know how much bounce or give is normal. I weigh around 210 so I expect some - and some more when my wife is nearby though she's petite. The previous owners installed a wood floor (laminate actually) so looking at the underfloor would be problematic. All seals seem to be in good condition and anything that appeared marginal has been touched up. No rotted wood smells either. Need some advice or perhaps a rule of thumb to go by.

Thanks,

James
JHarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 12:38 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
My '03 Bambi had a bit of flex. Enough in some spots where you could feel it as someone walked by. I think the Bambi has OSB. The units larger than 19 or 22 I think were straight plywood rather than OSB.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 02:28 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Jharper - check your PM. I sent you a private message.

Bob
rcaldwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 06:49 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Floors will have some give based on where you are standing .If it is in an area that has tanks installed below the floor it will have more give than were the main frame rails run( they have stringers vs.cross members). The cross members normally are 2' on centers. Some give to the flooring is not unusual
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 07:13 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Cool Bounce/Floor Give

Gentlemen:

Thanks for the input. All I had to compare the Bambi to was our 21 foot Gulfstream Class C; its floor was supported by very wide (though thin) I-beams that were bolted right to a heavy truck frame, and the walking space was narrower to boot, so no give there. I wasn't concerned about potential rot - it seems very solid at the outer edge of the floor and the trailer apparently wasn't abused. All trailer floors of any kind that I have been on (I'm talking mobile homes) seem to have some give and that is fine - but it is good to know that its normal on a Bambi without having to do an intrusive inspection.

Thanks again - when I know more about the unit perhaps I can return the favor!

James
JHarper is offline   Reply With Quote