Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2007, 03:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
austin , Texas
how do I call the trailer floor channel?

Hello,

How would I call the channel for my 62 trailer floor. It isn't standard 4" channel. Is it commonly available?

Thank you.

Joe.
joemccusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:52 PM   #2
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Calling

Joe, did you try calling information first to get the number? Sorry, but you left yourself wide open on that one. Your post is a little confussing. What is it that you are trying to do?
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:25 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
austin , Texas
Sorry,

Let me try this again:

Let's say that I call the metal yard looking for channel to match the frame for my trailer. It is 4" X 1 1/2" by how many pounds per foot? Or rather, is it commonly known as something like 11 guage 4" channel? Is it a specialty item or would my local metal yard have it in stock. I suppose I should have said "What do I call..." rather than "how do I call".

I hope that is more clear.

Thank you.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemccusker
Sorry,

Let me try this again:

Let's say that I call the metal yard looking for channel to match the frame for my trailer. It is 4" X 1 1/2" by how many pounds per foot? Or rather, is it commonly known as something like 11 guage 4" channel? Is it a specialty item or would my local metal yard have it in stock. I suppose I should have said "What do I call..." rather than "how do I call".

Thank you.
Joe,

I think you have to make the channel on a bending brake. I know that is what Uwe did on his rehab, a 63 for me, and that is what I plan on doing for the Liner.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:50 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
austin , Texas
So I should just have it fabricated out of strap in 10 foot sections, in the appropriate thickness?
Old 01-10-2007, 05:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
So I should just have it fabricated out of strap in 10 foot sections, in the appropriate thickness?
Joe,

What do you mean by "strap" and do you have a brake which is 10 feet long?

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 01-10-2007, 06:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:
Sorry,

Let me try this again:

Thank you.
i own a newer airstream, and the 1957 i redid, (back in 1979) i didn't have to go this deep in the rehab. HOWEVER i am a drywall interior plastering contractor, and what you just described is available in my industry. we frame things in metal vs. wood. and 4" x 1 5/8" is a common, pick a gauge any gauge, and you can get them in any lenght and either galvanized or painted red. and not just 4". i'm not at work right now but in widths, like 1 5/8", 2", 3", 3 1/2", 4", 6" by any gauge from 24 to at least heavy duty 14. does this help? any very good drywall, plasterinng supply yard has them in stock, or can order them and have them in a matter of days. google USG, and metal studs. you will see what i'm talking about. here in beverly hills, we frame whole house's using this material. kevbo
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:29 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
austin , Texas
What I mean by strap is essentially pieces of plate steel. In the case of the trailer floor channel I was thinking of 8" strap in 3/16" or 1/4" or whatever it is on my trailer. In all likelihood the fab shop would shear plate steel to 7" and then brake it into channel for me.

We have a very good metal shop in Austin that has commonly done uncommon metal shaping for me. Their limitation is 1/4" by 10' on shearing and braking.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
What I mean by strap is essentially pieces of plate steel. In the case of the trailer floor channel I was thinking of 8" strap in 3/16" or 1/4" or whatever it is on my trailer. In all likelihood the fab shop would shear plate steel to 7" and then brake it into channel for me.

We have a very good metal shop in Austin that has commonly done uncommon metal shaping for me. Their limitation is 1/4" by 10' on shearing and braking.
Joe,

You don't want to use steel against aluminum, dissimiliar metal corrosion, without some insulator between. That is why the aluminum sheet is used.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 01-10-2007, 06:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:

thats still a common material to my trade. we use the material you just described for "backing". again thats a common size, and you would buy it by width, gauge and length. AND a heck of a lot cheaper at a drywall supply yard than a metal fab shop. way cheaper.

i framed the hyatt regency hotel in guam, in steel, took two years and 150 men, so i have some experience with steel, men, working far from home and the heat. drywallconstruction dot com (my web site) you can see some pics of the framing i'm talking about, perhaps you won't see exactly what you need, but i know what you want is produced for my trade.

i'd check a very good drywall supply. google suppliers in your area. goto the yard, or go online at look at the catalog. it's all there. i'm getting ready for a rally, and can't but if you waited till next week, i'll do it for you.

kevbo
Old 01-10-2007, 07:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Am I way out in left field? Aren't you looking for hot rolled steel channel for the frame?

All this talk about sheetrock framing and welding straps or breaking 10ft lengths is going way around the barn if all you need is a hunk of structural steel.

You can usually figure out the weight of the channel by carefully measuring the web and flange thickness, look up on-line in a steel catalog, and go one size larger for comfort.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Am I way out in left field? Aren't you looking for hot rolled steel channel for the frame?

All this talk about sheetrock framing and welding straps or breaking 10ft lengths is going way around the barn if all you need is a hunk of structural steel.

You can usually figure out the weight of the channel by carefully measuring the web and flange thickness, look up on-line in a steel catalog, and go one size larger for comfort.
i don't want to cause any discomfort, and i won't post here again on this thread, but cold rolled steel is a common product in my trade. i could order any lenght to 40 feet, if you want it radiused, the tool is availabe, not expensive. it's how we do all the round ceilings that you see. again, order by width, gauge and lenght, at least in my trade. if you want to order by the pound, i have no clue.

i was just trying to help, AND save money.

if i wasn't leaving for a rally i'd have this material on my shop floor in two days or less.

sorry if i'm in left field. i'll stick to what i know. steel framing, and drywall contruction.

kevbo