Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2012, 06:34 AM   #1
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
How am I going to move it?

In the middle of a major renovation, with the rear floor removed. The plan was for my brother-in-law to come to the house with his mobile welding equipment to make repairs to the frame, and add tank supports. Now, he's informed me that the white smoke was released from said mobile welding machine, and he hasn't the time, funds, or inclination to have it put back in. (its broken).
He has a shop where he can do the work, but its 20 miles away.

What do I need to do to make it towable?

I was thinking of just taking a half-sheet of plywood in the back (rough) just so the outer edge of the shell can be bolted to the frame, so nothing can move.
thoughts?

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Assuming that your 20-mile drive can be done at somewhat slow speeds on not-too-busy roads, and that all of the running gear, trailer brakes, and lights function properly, I'd consider at least a full sheet of plywood in the very rear. It could maybe be left un-cut for the rear curves, and then bolted/screwed/clamped wherever possible. Start with that, and then see if you can also cover the remaining section and secure more of the shell. And then, again assuming all your running lights work, do the drive at the least busy time- maybe 3 a.m.! Good luck, I think it could be safely done if you're careful.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
My local equipment rental company rents various types of welders. Probably less expensive and easier than moving the trailer.
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
I was thinking of the "rental" solution, too. BIL didn't seem too interested...I think he'd rather do it at his place, and that is totally understandable. much easier for him. He's one of these high-energy people that get amazing amounts of stuff done...always going like the energizer bunny.
Anyway, he's got an indoor space to do it, which I wasn't aware was available. (right now, there's a backhoe project going on in there, which will be done soon. but its always something. boat, truck, some kind of heavy equipment). I figure if he's willing to do me a big favor, I should be willing to make it as easy as possible for him to do it.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
You might be able to run some braces rib to rib and then some down the floor of the trailer. Tie them all together to the frame and to each other. I transported mine this way slowly about the same distance.
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Why no shell off resto? How much welding is needed? I did a lot myself.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
Why no shell off resto?
Because I haven't completely lost my mind?

naw, seriously, that would be beyond my skills/gumption/tools/space limitations, and it isn't really necessary. The rest of the trailer is in good shape, really. I've been using it right along for the last 8 years.
(the pic makes it look worse than it is; I only took the second sheet of plywood out because there was a teeny bit of it that was rotted, and the rest of it, being between the wheel-wells, was just so easy to take out, I figured "why not?").

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
How much welding is needed? I did a lot myself.
not much, really, although, I will defer to BIL's expertise in terms of what needs to be repaired/replaced. After getting the floor out, I can see the tops of the frame rails that I couldn't see before, and they're a bit rough from the fiberglass insulation that was sandwiched on top of them, keeping them thoroughly soaked. Other than that, its just fabricating tank supports, and some sort of framework to box in the tanks.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Maybe you need to hire another welder, or find a new wife who can weld.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Venice , Florida
The amount of damage that could be done towing it while it is not structurally sound could be huge. If it were me, I would hire another reputable welder with a portable rig. I'm sure your BIL wouldn't mind since it sounds like he is busy already.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #10
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Because I haven't completely lost my mind?

naw, seriously, that would be beyond my skills/gumption/tools/space limitations, and it isn't really necessary. The rest of the trailer is in good shape, really. I've been using it right along for the last 8 years.
(the pic makes it look worse than it is; I only took the second sheet of plywood out because there was a teeny bit of it that was rotted, and the rest of it, being between the wheel-wells, was just so easy to take out, I figured "why not?").

not much, really, although, I will defer to BIL's expertise in terms of what needs to be repaired/replaced. After getting the floor out, I can see the tops of the frame rails that I couldn't see before, and they're a bit rough from the fiberglass insulation that was sandwiched on top of them, keeping them thoroughly soaked. Other than that, its just fabricating tank supports, and some sort of framework to box in the tanks.
I would hire another welder and just get it done.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote