Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
Clean Line Livin'

1968 30' Sovereign
Bemidji , United States
Help with Floor Replacement

My husband and I have recently purchased a 1968 30' Sovereign and lets just say the mice even moved out a while ago! We are planning to remodel the whole interior so we can live in it full time but we are "fresh meat" when it comes to Airstreams. Right now we are in the process of tearing out the old floor to replace with 3/4" marine plywood. We removed and repaired the belly skins and have torn out about half of the old flooring but we are a little stumped on how to replace it. We have read a lot of forums about how people have taken the entire shell off their airstream to replace the floor but I don't think we have the means to remove a 30' shell. We are wondering if it is possible to use some sort of jack system to lift part of the shell while replacing that part of the floor (moving towards the back as we go). Anyone have any advice for us?
SKJosefson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Yes. You can jack the shell up from the rear to replace the floor. It has been done many ways. Good luck!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
It can be replaced with the shell on. you have to first block and level the frame and put some kind of jack stands or screw stands under it. Then you have to remove the lower inside aluminum known as the trailer skin. The plywood is slid into a C channel and bolted to the plywood. The plywood will have to be in two pieces so it can slide under the wall. You also have to remove the outside bottom curved wrap to tighten the nuts on the bolts in the channel. One of the reasons for careful leveling and blocking is to assure that the rivet holes will line back up when putting the skin back on.

You need to check the frame and will probably need to put a new protective coating on to prevent rust.

Keep this thread open and everyone will help you with your questions

Wes
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Rescue , California
We just finished a sheel on floor replacement an a 22 ft Safari . I used 5/8 and flaired the side a little then pulled back in. Also we did treat the frame .Check out Bwaysteve He helped me . Have fun with it Maurice
Old 05-04-2011, 07:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
The edges are where the floor generally rots so I treated the the edges with a barrier coat of West Epoxy (2 coats). I extended it in about 10 inches top and bottom. Hopefully with all the leaks fixed it won't be tested, but time takes it's toll and if there are leaks in the future, the underlying wood will be somewhat protected.
If you run a round over router on the edges of the new floor it will slide into the c-channel much more easily.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote