Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #1

1953 25' Cruiser
mousehole , cornwall
Help please from Cornwall, England

Hello

We are new to the forum and have 2 weeks ago taken delivery of 2 airstreams a 1959 Ambassador and a 1953 Cruiser. We are doing a total refurb and have started on the 59 ambassador we would greatly appreciate help and advice on replacing the floor.

Many Thanks
the wharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by the wharf View Post
Hello

We are new to the forum and have 2 weeks ago taken delivery of 2 airstreams a 1959 Ambassador and a 1953 Cruiser. We are doing a total refurb and have started on the 59 ambassador we would greatly appreciate help and advice on replacing the floor.

Many Thanks
The easiest way, and the best way, so that scabbibg the floor in place can be avoided, take the shell off.

That will also allow you to inspect and repair as necessary, the chassis.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
First, welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place for information on all things Airstream.

About the floor replacement...I've not done it, but went to a seminar a while back at a rally, and the main thing that I remember of the procedure was to replace one piece of the plywood at a time.

Additionally, if I were doing it, I believe I'd put a sealer on the wood to reduce the chance of floor rot in the future, but this is just my thought.

Good luck with your projects and I'm sure more knowledgable and experienced restorers will chime in soon.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Welcome to the forum Wharf!
You can do this with the shell on or off. It depends on your situation and how much space you have available. Shell off is easier if you have room for the frame and the shell to be stored and worked on seperately. You can get some idea of the process by looking at my blog. Also try doing a google search for shell-on floor replacement or the alternative, shell-off. The forum also has a thread for major restorations with lots of good stuff on this.
Read, read, and read some more. There's a lot to learn here.

Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Good place to start

Having done a shell-off renovation, I'd recommend it.

Here's a great place to start reading. The threads linked here are a gold mine of Airstream info.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ons-35399.html

Good luck, take your time and enjoy.

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote