Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-29-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
1967 26' Overlander
Simpsonville , South Carolina
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 25
Full Teardown Required?

Hey everyone...quick question.

I have a 1967 Overlander with a rear bathroom floor that is shot. I plan to rework the floor over the winter. My question is, do I need to completely gut the camper to just put in new decking for the bathroom? The tub doesn't look like it'll fit through the bathroom door/rear bulkhead. How far do I need to gut to make this a doable project?

Tim
TCHANNEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
silverleeper's Avatar
 
1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,499
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channeti View Post
Hey everyone...quick question.

I have a 1967 Overlander with a rear bathroom floor that is shot. I plan to rework the floor over the winter. My question is, do I need to completely gut the camper to just put in new decking for the bathroom? The tub doesn't look like it'll fit through the bathroom door/rear bulkhead. How far do I need to gut to make this a doable project?

Tim
Hi Tim, It's best to remove as much as you can and trust me everything that went into the Airstream will come out the door(even the tub). It's how the Airstream was designed. It won't fit through the bulkhead. How much you remove is up to you.
__________________
Lee

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
 
1967 26' Overlander
Simpsonville , South Carolina
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 25
So you are saying I'll need to pull the rear bulkhead out in order to remove the tub and make space to work on the floor?
TCHANNEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
overlander63's Avatar
 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 21,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channeti View Post
So you are saying I'll need to pull the rear bulkhead out in order to remove the tub and make space to work on the floor?
Yes. And FYI, the bathroom was installed first, then everything was put in after that. You may have to remove the beds and overhead bedroom cabinets to gain enough room to get the bathroom bulkheads out.
__________________
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
1967 26' Overlander
Simpsonville , South Carolina
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 25
Yeh, that is pretty much how I sized up the job....I was hoping someone out there may have had a trick or two up their sleeves. Yuck, my timeline just trippled.

How are the twin beds connected to the floor? The front bed was tied to the floor (or frame) with a fastener I didn't reconize and couldn't loosen...maybe from corrosion. Is a Sawzall the best approach for removing the best frames (front and rear)?

Tim
TCHANNEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
silverleeper's Avatar
 
1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,499
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channeti View Post
Yeh, that is pretty much how I sized up the job....I was hoping someone out there may have had a trick or two up their sleeves. Yuck, my timeline just trippled.

How are the twin beds connected to the floor? The front bed was tied to the floor (or frame) with a fastener I didn't reconize and couldn't loosen...maybe from corrosion. Is a Sawzall the best approach for removing the best frames (front and rear)?

Tim
Hi Tim, Long Phillips head screws on floor and shorter ones on the wall. Yep they might be frozen. Try some penetrating oil and let soak overnight. I had to use a sawzall on a couple screws. Sacrifice the floor and try not to damage the bed frames.
__________________
Lee

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fuel gauge showing full when it is not full Normin storm Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... 2 08-25-2009 09:31 AM
customiser required bronywolfe Member Introductions 3 09-18-2007 04:52 PM
Modification Required For Uk maggi1972 Shipping & Export/Import 3 08-12-2007 02:48 PM
Required Cords? Phil Gobie Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 3 11-15-2006 11:27 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.